Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

Where to host my doom maps and other files?

So my favorite file hosting service, Ubuntu One, is Gone.

Imageshack, is what I used for image hosting and now it is ruined too. It is pay to upload now. So I am no longer going to use it.

Where should I host my doom maps? DRDteam filespace is gone too. Why do the good things always end?

Any tips for file and/or image hosting services?

I want them to be many things, but most importantly:
-at least 5GB free space
-no ads
-no waiting times, catpcha and other anoying stuff like this
-direct links to files
-no restrictions on file types or file size
-no '90 era download speed restrictions
-just lot of advantages and no disadvantages

Post your suggestions please :)

Sokoro said:

a list of requirements which is unrealistic to satisfy for free AND for a limitless amount of time

Reminds me of the joke with the guy who asks his doctor what could he do so he could have sex with his wife, come inside her, avoid using condoms and still avoid getting her pregnant, without either of them getting sterilized. There was only one logical answer :-)

Well, there's always geocities-oh wait. lol sorry, not helpful at all, just still recovering from the loss.

I didn't know Imageshack switched to paid only. I used to use them all the time for video game screenshots. I just logged back in - it looks like they've randomly lost or deleted about 25% of my files over the years, which doesn't instill me with trust.

Dropbox works for me. I think they expect you to use it to share files between multiple PCs but you can also create direct links to files, including images. After you click "get link" replace the "www" in the URL they give you with "dl".

For images there's also imgur. I'm not sure if you can link directly to images there but I assume yes.

For finished wads, there's /idgames, of course.

Maes has a good point though - you can't expect nothing but advantages with no disadvantages. The only sites that you'll find like that are either about to go out of business or are gathering users for a switch to paid service later. You've got to monetize somehow.

Dropbox: for files, 2 gigabyte for free.
Imgur : for images.

And if you like it risky you could check out MEGA, the successor of megaupload which claims to give a lot of gigabytes for free while being highly encrypted... FOr how long it would take before they start to mess with it.

If you want more you will have to pay for it, because the electricity and internet bills for running a file storage service are fenomenal in amount and unsustainable for anybody without a revenue.

Man, Sokoro, you can't catch a break. Also, your reasons are unrealistic.

- Mediafire
- Dropbox
- Imgur

Get adblock plus to avoid ads and stuff.

Dropbox works well. As has been mentioned, you can place files in it's public folder and share links to them. But there are limits to these public files, as mentioned on their site:

Links have a bandwidth limit of 20 GB/day for Basic accounts and 200 GB/day for Pro and Business accounts. If your account hits our limit, your links will be automatically and temporarily suspended, and we'll send an email notification to the email address registered with your account. Anyone who tries to access the links will see an error page instead of your file.

I agree dropbox is great, except I can't download from there anymore, or some other sites (apparently their SSL certificates aren't compatible anymore with some winXP service packs).

So I registered on imgur. I hope, I wont be disapointed.

I read on their website that you are limited to 225 most recent images and the old images go to some hidden folder.

Are users able to delete those hidden images if they choose to?

Do all your images, even the hidden ones, get deleted when you delete your account?

I might be forced to leave the service, if it ever changes anything against my will and then I would not want to leave anything behind me.

Ah, if you copy the link with thumbnail version, then you can just edit the first part.. add "i." before "imgur" (i.imgur) and add ".jpg" at the end of the link. That way you create thumbnail, which links to direct image without adds or site stuff.
Just bad, they do not offer this link on the image page and you need to create it manualy. I guess they prefer if their users see the ads :p

GreyGhost: Really? I can load it just fine, it is simple 4800x3600 .jpg image of Mars.

I suppose you're in the happy position of being able to pull it from your browser cache. I'm now seeing another message - The image "http://i.imgur.com/eUP7170.jpg" cannot be displayed because it contains errors.

Looks like they're having server problems.

Maes said:

Reminds me of the joke with the guy who asks his doctor what could he do so he could have sex with his wife, come inside her, avoid using condoms and still avoid getting her pregnant, without either of them getting sterilized. There was only one logical answer :-)

Don't forget about this.

GreyGhost said:

I suppose you're in the happy position of being able to pull it from your browser cache. I'm now seeing another message - The image "http://i.imgur.com/eUP7170.jpg" cannot be displayed because it contains errors.

Looks like they're having server problems.

I just send the url to my other computer, which neither had this image or browsed it with firefox, and when I clicked on the link, then it loaded in the firefox in cca 2seconds.

Maybe you are experiencing some region related error.

Platinum Shell said:

Guess I should have formulated is as "neither of them using contraceptives". That would really leave only One Way out (or in?) ;-)