Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Do you have any corrupted Doom memories?

Guest Unregistered account

Let's say you played or saw someone else play the game when you were younger. You played through or watched the level.

Then, after a while,
maybe a decade or even a few years, you stopped playing.

Perhaps you remembered parts of the level weirdly.

Or, maybe after you also stopped playing, you went to bed and had a dream about Doom. You had a dream about an imaginary, non-existent level, but your brain thought it was a real one.

In both cases, you decided to start playing again or you watched a video of it. When you found that either your memories of a level were wrong or altogether not there, you were confused at first.

Then you went "Aaaah..." and life went on.
(Or maybe you're still confused about it to this day!)

I can't be the only one who's experienced this. (I was four when I watched my dad play Doom, and am now making my imaginary false level into a real level).

Do any of you have corrupted memories of Doom? Post them here! :D

I came into the Doom community (on the ZDoom forums in May '05)under the certain impression that the original game had a poor-quality recording of "I'll swallow your soul!" from one of the Evil Dead films as the official sight sound for the Demon, but id had opted to swap to the actual sound in Doom II and Ultimate Doom, simply because there was a patch applied to my IWAD when I was too young to remember.

I don't have any that were continually upheld in dreams or anything, or at least not that I can remember, but before returning to Doom in the early 2000's I was convinced that the player received 25% health when continuing on into another level. I also thought that there was a cacodemon in E1M1 on Nightmare!, although clearly that was the work of one of the many shoddy monster randomizers that were popular at the time.

Before I got my own copy of Doom I played it at a friend's house.

I have this memory of there being prisoners in hanging cages and you could kick/shoot the cage to make it swing back and forth.

They don't exist in Doom of course but they are in Wolf3D, so maybe my memories got crossed over. But it doesn't explain the swinging cage part.

I remember 3D floors in map06 of TNT Evilution (in that huge reactor area). :) I think it comes from the way that area is designed, I mean it's huge and has all these balconys that really make it feel 3D.

When doom was still capapble of being considered reasonable graphics (just before quake, and just after) i never noticed how pixelated it looked.
It was quite odd when i played it again years later and having to admit that because of how graphics evolved, it now clearly is pixelated.
From the moment you have seen better the old stuff suddenly looks realy ancient, but before that you never seem to notice anything.

Only corrupted memory I got is from doom 2 when I thought there was legendary black chainsaw that could cut thru walls. I thank my cousins dad for that story

I used to think that you can get to E2M4 through episode one as a secret level, that was hidden in E1M7 or E1M5. I remember my neighbor told me that and I really believed that for years until I busted that myth years later...

fraggle said:

But it doesn't explain the swinging cage part.

Throw in memories of Another World, perhaps? ;-)

Not exactly a corrupted memory of Doom, but a corrupted memory of Wolfenstein featuring Doom. I swear as a kid, I remember seeing the Doom shotgun in Wolfenstein3D. I remember putting in a cheat and getting all the weapons, the shotgun being one of them. We never had Doom on the PC growing up, I never played it until sometime in the mid 90's on the SNES. However, that memory of putting in a cheat for the shotty was really vivid in my mind.

PRIMEVAL said:

Not exactly a corrupted memory of Doom, but a corrupted memory of Wolfenstein featuring Doom. I swear as a kid, I remember seeing the Doom shotgun in Wolfenstein3D. I remember putting in a cheat and getting all the weapons, the shotgun being one of them. We never had Doom on the PC growing up, I never played it until sometime in the mid 90's on the SNES. However, that memory of putting in a cheat for the shotty was really vivid in my mind.

The Atari version of Wolf uses some doom weapon sprites.

I swear I remember seeing an archvile on E2M2.

And I remember that Archviles could disguise themselves as impaled humans, which would transform into archviles when you weren't looking.

I also remember that Barons were called Guardians of the Gates.

Aaaah youth. Somehow this all seemed so true.

Seeing this imp in skills 1-2 during the D95 days.

Dreamed of a random Heretic custom map 3 years ago which I recreated afterwards but lost it.

Waffenak said:

Only corrupted memory I got is from doom 2 when I thought there was legendary black chainsaw that could cut thru walls. I thank my cousins dad for that story

That reminds me of the "golden imp" my friend told me about that could climb up walls, run really fast and no clip thru walls. I've spent a month trying to find it until I've given up.

When I was little (after I watched someone else play) I thought that E4M6 has yet another acid lake beyond that Cyberdemon, i.e. one last step before the exit. It turns out it was just the exit.

I still to this day get ultra-confused when I fire up The Pit and happen to glimpse that the roof of the tall starting sector isn't sky. @_@

[EDIT] Another one, while I'm thinking about it: I first played Doom Shareware as a kid (think it was '97) on an old laptop with crappy audio. I couldn't exactly hear the music full-on since the sound was all mushy, but knew it was there at least.

Thing is, at the time I distinctly remember hearing a fast-paced action-y drum-filled track for E1M7 (my favorite at the time :P), leading to another confusion-spot a short while later when I revisited the game only to find that the track in question was basically the opposite of what I'd imagined. Wacko.

I once thought SNES Doom had a fourth episode, not the actual E4 levels but others. I don't know how I got that mixed up, could be some custom maps I played way back when.

Wouldn't call it "corrupted" as such, but a friend of mine (no, really) told me he dreamt he was at a discotheque, where the dancefloor was full of spacemarines, all strafing in circles...

Soundblock said:

Wouldn't call it "corrupted" as such, but a friend of mine (no, really) told me he dreamt he was at a discotheque, where the dancefloor was full of spacemarines, all strafing in circles...

When I was a kid I would go on happypuppy.com and download the shareware of any doom like game and play through them. Some of the ones I played have their levels twisted in my memory to doom pwads, and I only discovered this is the case when I watched a video of Blake Stone and memories started rushing back. I had totally forgotten that game existed but had strange scant memories of its levels in the form of doom.

Yes, i do have a couple of corrupted memories about doom, they all came years ago and i still remember then.

There is this memory of me playing in a doom level that looked like a forest or something like that with water and nature and a lot of dead imp corpses, i think it was heavily inspired by Doom Rider: Crypt of the vile, this memory was some time after i discovered some doom mods, and probably after DR:CotV was released.

I'll try to remember another one that's even older, and it remembers me of some E1 level from DOOM 1 i think.

I have ONE and to this day it bugs me because I could SWEAR I saw it. It was a tool-assisted speedrun of DOOM II I found on youtube. On map02 the player didn't get the red key, but instead squeezed himself between the bars immediately to your right when you start the level (the ones lowered by the switch behind bars lifted with the red key).

Later, I looked for the said speedrun but couldn't find it. The tool-assisted speedrun currently holding the world record doesn't use this method - the player goes "traditionally" for the red key and I doubt he would if the shortcut I had apparently seen was be possible...

... but I DID see it dammit!

No interesting dreams or false memories about vanilla doom tbh. I did think for a few years that there was a MIDI version of Avalanche Master Song somewhere in Doom 2, but I guess I was just confusing it with the music from MAP24 or something.

Although, I did have a surprisingly detailed dream where the final version of Sunder was released.

It had 20 maps. During the dream I looked through the maps in SLADE and watched an FDA of the new MAP20 (recorded by Huy Pham for some reason), which was called "Jesus, Mary and Oblivion" (which is possibly an interesting theological reference or possibly some cheesy prog metal nonsense), and looked like a much larger, decentralized version of the current MAP10. It was like the texture theme of MAP10 applied to a layout more like MAP08. And just immense. It was like MAP10 was one large building and "MAP20" was a city. There were various comments on the Sunder thread about one particular section (which appeared "fish-shaped" on the automap) being too hard or possibly uncompleteable. Huy Pham's comment on his demo said "I got to the fish", but that it would be his final attempt on the map.

I remember the final few maps were all perfectly square on the SLADE automap: completely filling the amount of space you can use before the distance between vertexes (IIRC) makes doom crash on loading the map.

I briefly considered making this dream version of Sunder myself, since I remembered so many of the details and some of them seemed quite interesting, but then of course I realized it would be a ridiculous amount of work, so I lost interest. Besides, Insane_Gazebo is probably working on this version himself. It would explain the length of the inactivity since the 2010 release. Heheheheh.

Patrol1985 said:
I have ONE and to this day it bugs me because I could SWEAR I saw it. It was a tool-assisted speedrun of DOOM II I found on youtube. On map02 the player didn't get the red key, but instead squeezed himself between the bars immediately to your right when you start the level (the ones lowered by the switch behind bars lifted with the red key).

You are not as delusional as you think... either that, or we both are! I've been watching a bunch of TAS demos on YouTube and I see this all the time... been going to ask WTF but didn't want to create a thread under Speedrunning just for that. It's always in a TAS, never in a 'normal' demo.

Here's one, it happens in the first four seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSsp1VoUwSA

Can someone explain this to me? [Use small words. I have no idea how these TAS are made, even after reading about 'em.] ...Cuz if I were 6 units wide, I too could squeeze through all those barred accesses instead of tediously hunting down the key or switch...

As to my own DOOM delusions, it's mostly in the form of replaying some ancient map that was REALLY HARD back in the early days, and discovering that "REALLY HARD" back then meant 3 imps and a pinkie.

DooM_RO said:

The Atari version of Wolf uses some doom weapon sprites.

That's interesting. Never played Atari, that would have probably made sense. However I only ever had Wolf3D on PC.

Rez said:

You are not as delusional as you think... either that, or we both are! I've been watching a bunch of TAS demos on YouTube and I see this all the time... been going to ask WTF but didn't want to create a thread under Speedrunning just for that. It's always in a TAS, never in a 'normal' demo.

Yeah, I know the trick is possible. One speedrunner explained it on one occasion (it had something to do with finding the center of the gap, then moving just one pixel to the left and proceeding through the gap). I've seen it utilized a number of times on DOOM II's Nirvana, but I mean this particular map and place - map02 and the bar which has to be lowered by the switch next to red key bars. Is it possible or did I make it up?

I have a memory of doom (or was it Doom2?) that still bugs me. I remember two levels. One had a lot of imps, chaingunners, former sergeant and zombie men. It was the first level of the game. There was a red keycard that you had to find to open the exit door. I remember dying countless times on this level.

Another time i remember loading the saved game of the previous owner of DooM2 (MY dad had bought a used copy of the game for me when I was 3-4 years old.). I started in a level with tall techno floor lams and a door in front of me. Behind that door were a few imps, two chaingunners, few zombiemen and one or two former sergenats.

When I played the game again in 2014, I couldn't find these levels.

Zulk-RS said:

I have a memory of doom (or was it Doom2?) that still bugs me. I remember two levels. One had a lot of imps, chaingunners, former sergeant and zombie men. It was the first level of the game. There was a red keycard that you had to find to open the exit door. I remember dying countless times on this level.

Another time i remember loading the saved game of the previous owner of DooM2 (MY dad had bought a used copy of the game for me when I was 3-4 years old.). I started in a level with tall techno floor lams and a door in front of me. Behind that door were a few imps, two chaingunners, few zombiemen and one or two former sergenats.

When I played the game again in 2014, I couldn't find these levels.

Probably a WAD