Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FDA from me as well. This level was really easy, but nice and enjoyable as always, Memfis. I see the layout structure and flow as very pleasant. Effectively simple, as usual. Details were also relatively simple, but very nice.

Hey Memfis, you certainly don't need any advice on mapping improvement, as your style is already well developed (honestly, I admire it, and envy you your skill a bit too). What kind of comments and feedback would you like to get, then? Why do you post your maps? Simply for other people's enjoyment, without wanting them to say a word? Whether yes or not, I simply thank you for your maps which I (and we others) have fun with. :)

I'm unable to adequately answer these questions because for me mapping was never some logical thing that I could rationalize. I can't think of any reason to make maps when at best it's only enjoyable during the first hour of working on a map and the rest is only frustration and the result is usually frustratingly not good enough in my eyes too. I guess the best explanation I can come up with is that I'm a lifeless loser with a lot of free time so I'm trying to get at least some recognition by impressing random people on the internet I don't even know, but even meeting that wonderful goal isn't satisfying, praise feels good for 2 minutes maybe and after that I'm empty again. Especially since I disagree with it most of the time, like you praise this map with obviously empty unfinished areas and only one good room, I don't know how to react to that. This post didn't turn out very positive.

Memfis said:

I'm unable to adequately answer these questions because for me mapping was never some logical thing that I could rationalize. I can't think of any reason to make maps when at best it's only enjoyable during the first hour of working on a map and the rest is only frustration and the result is usually frustratingly not good enough in my eyes too. I guess the best explanation I can come up with is that I'm a lifeless loser with a lot of free time so I'm trying to get at least some recognition by impressing random people on the internet I don't even know, but even meeting that wonderful goal isn't satisfying, praise feels good for 2 minutes maybe and after that I'm empty again. Especially since I disagree with it most of the time, like you praise this map with obviously empty unfinished areas and only one good room, I don't know how to react to that. This post didn't turn out very positive.

I liked your map overally, so I didn't feel like complaining and I praised what I liked. Simple as that. Of course you don't have to react to it, or even believe me. :P

It's sure that you map well, but how you feel about it, that's another thing. I wasn't sure why you keep posting single MAP01s on the DW forums, getting little feedback and being satisfied with the situation. I get the thing with doing something enjoyable, but you even described how you're not satisfied. I thought that you had some goal, maybe you'd expect others to do more for you / react on your maps in some specific way, or you wanted yourself to offer something specific to them by your mapping.

I'm a bad mapper, but I like mapping and wad editing, it's an enjoyable activity for me. Also I like to get feedback and criticism, for the sake of improvement. You don't seem to demand it, and I asked how's that possible and what you would like to achieve, then. Is there any particular feedback / mapping help you'd like to get?

Maybe help on how to enjoy mapping and be happy with maps you make. But I already know that the answer is that mapping just isn't for me since I don't enjoy it most of the time. So I guess I'm not seeking any feedback/help.

TheCupboard said:

edit: nevermind then if you aren't interested in feedback

Although this might be a joke post, it bugs me.

Memfis, you've received a PM.

Very easy memfis map. but i didn't mind that because the enemy use was fresh enough for me. I like the layout, good height variations and nicely simple details. too bad memfis can't do a big collections of wads and releases these small -insertwadnamehere-.wads.

Very forgettable.

I'll just quit maybe, I've been unhappy with this crap for the last three years anyway so no idea why I have not stopped yet. Never was satisfied with anything I've posted, even stuff that seemed good at first I would hate after a while. Obviously my brain isn't really suitable for this activity, it just refuses to enjoy it. But I couldn't figure out why and maybe because of that I kept trying hoping that thiiiiis time I will enjoy it. I just liked the idea of having fun while mapping, too bad it never happened.

Memfis said:

Never was satisfied with anything I've posted, even stuff that seemed good at first I would hate after a while.

well I don't think that's terribly uncommon. I think I become increasingly put off by my wads after releasing them. maybe a side-effect of simply spending too much time with it, or knowing it "too well" such that it's not as much fun to revisit. Either way, I wouldn't fret over this.

I just liked the idea of having fun while mapping, too bad it never happened.

this is the depressing part though, if you're not having fun then you're not having fun. A shame in your case though because it's clear many players enjoy your stuff.

Well, I guess I do have some fun at first usually, especially while testing very early versions with like 2-3 rooms. But eventually frustration overcomes and wipes out all the fun memories. Maybe if I was able to finish all my maps in 2-3 hours, there wouldn't be so much pain but I'm not even close to being that fast.

Memfis said:

I can't think of any reason to make maps when at best it's only enjoyable during the first hour of working on a map and the rest is only frustration

I've been unhappy with this crap for the last three years anyway so no idea why I have not stopped yet.

I just liked the idea of having fun while mapping, too bad it never happened.

You should get ahold of some uppers, they make mapping better than sex.

Ah, Memfis, the thing is, you're so gifted at this. It seems to come so easy to you. Maybe that's only how it looks from the outside, though, but it does seem you have a real knack for doing smallish, fun maps that feel very professional.

But perhaps the thing to cheer you up is a rare, rare thing in the world of Doom . . . a demo -- by me!!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5kd4d49t9k7bf43/GreatSteve.lmp

Now, before you look this gift-horse in the mouth, consider what you're getting here. This is a UV-Max by SteveD, The Ancient Doomer, who started playing in 1995 on a Mac. Your eyes will not believe the display of oldschool keyboarding you're about to witness! Imagine the gnarled, arthritic fingers of The Ancient Doomer fumbling on the keypad as he dodges straight into an Imp fireball! In fact, this was meant as an FDA, but I had to stop 3 times because I kept hitting the damned numpad + key and speeding up the game. ;D Fuckin' GLBoom! Why can't we all just do this on Risen3D, instead? Anyway, I had already learned much of the map, as should be obvious, and so I renamed the file, in the correct egotistical SteveD manner. ;D Watching this will help you understand why I died 23 times or so in your Mayhem map.

Anyway, if you still enjoy playing Doom, the day may come when you enjoy mapping for it. At least I hope so, because I want more Memfis maps.

Memfis said:

Well, I guess I do have some fun at first usually, especially while testing very early versions with like 2-3 rooms. But eventually frustration overcomes and wipes out all the fun memories. Maybe if I was able to finish all my maps in 2-3 hours, there wouldn't be so much pain but I'm not even close to being that fast.

Why don't you try speed mapping? Give yourself a challenge, make a map in less than 3 hours, and don't care about details (just give enough to make the places look memorable and give a sense of progression, but don't go Realm667 level of detail on it).

Ideally should always finish maps in one sitting I guess since the first go is usually enjoyable overall (then on the next day I wake up and feel little to no desire to continue). It's hard but I can try... Thanks to everyone for the encouragement btw.

Sorry to hear you find mapmaking unfun, I really admire your ability to make complete maps in a short amount of time. Even if they're usually on the smaller side, they feel more complete than many speedmaps. Any time I see a new Memfis wad posted I know it's worth my time to play it.

This was a fun level, I like the way it doubles back on itself. Fairly easy but that's OK. Only real complaint is that I wanted a secret for trying to get on the other side of the barrier at the start, by climbing onto the the edge of the staircase, but instead it's just impassable lines! ;p