Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://www.wad-archive.com

Has anyone come across this yet?

Also links to the Archive.org shovelware discs, tells you how many duplicates are on the discs and can view the WAD files that are on them in #-Z order tabs.

Glaice said:

http://www.wad-archive.com

Has anyone come across this yet?

Also links to the Archive.org shovelware discs, tells you how many duplicates are on the discs and can view the WAD files that are on them in #-Z order tabs.

Cool. They may want to make sure they make their own backups of those archive.org discs though. I have it on good word that leileilol is on a crusade to have them all taken down.

"Popular Searches

brutaldoom_neodoompatchv12.wad
jailbait.wad
doom1.wad
doom.wad
hexen.wad
"

wee

what's leileilol's deal? What's his problem with preserving doom history? A cursory google search shows that he's a jerk who insults and blames other people for ludicrous things and then refuses to get into contact with said people.

Nice find, and potentially very useful. Can't recall seeing anything like that since the Doom Wad Yellow Pages were taken down.

Quasar said:

They may want to make sure they make their own backups of those archive.org discs though. I have it on good word that leileilol is on a crusade to have them all taken down.

Apart from playing the role of copyright troll (since I suspect few of the people contributing to that collection could claim copyright to the ISOs they've uploaded), I wonder what his beef is? Fortunately, I have backups, and if all else fails I could host them myself.

Mmmhh, that site looked familiar for some reason, and after a not-so-quick search, I found out why:

doomworld.com/vb/post/1216702

(the linked thread was splited from the Trying to find a WAD thread, which is why joe-ilya's original post is not there)

Anyway, it's nice to have this little reminder, thanks.

DOUBLE EDIT: I even describe it as a "well-known wad resource". It seems it that isn't the case. Heh.

GreyGhost said:

Nice find, and potentially very useful. Can't recall seeing anything like that since the Doom Wad Yellow Pages were taken down.
Apart from playing the role of copyright troll (since I suspect few of the people contributing to that collection could claim copyright to the ISOs they've uploaded), I wonder what his beef is? Fortunately, I have backups, and if all else fails I could host them myself.

Wow, what's his deal? I mean come on, it's not like those companies give a crap with 15 year old content to a 20 year old game..

He always struck me as the stereotypical obsessive neckbeard guy who's going to give you a speech on free software and open source when all you asked for was the time of day, complete with a fixation on esoteric rules and weird world belief systems. It's probably just the way he is, living in a bubble rather than being truly malicious.

Glaice said:

Wow, what's his deal? I mean come on, it's not like those companies give a crap with 15 year old content to a 20 year old game..

As I recall, several publishers were dragged into court by id Software for non-payment of royalties from their shovelware disk sales and would probably prefer to forget that part of their corporate history. Many of the publishers have also long since ceased trading, so there's also the issue of orphan works to consider.

Phml said:

He always struck me as the stereotypical obsessive neckbeard guy who's going to give you a speech on free software and open source when all you asked for was the time of day, complete with a fixation on esoteric rules and weird world belief systems. It's probably just the way he is, living in a bubble rather than being truly malicious.

Sounds like a pretty good explanation to me. They hope he changes his mind and leaves the archives alone.

I've found bygone mappers thanks to /idgames who advertised their other works in .txt files that weren't present - I was able to find some of them thanks to WAD archive. It'd be sad to see it go, as mentioned there are little hidden nuggets of 90's Dooming gold on that website.