Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

MMO discussion thread

I was out on a walk and I started reminiscing about City of Heroes. I've never really been the MMO type, but that game really hooked me back in the day. I guess one of the things I really liked was doing away with swords and dragons and bringing it to a modern-day city - not to mention there was just something so much more personal about creating your own superhero, complete with a unique costume and everything. It really bums me out that it got shut down. I tried Champions Online, but it's just not the same. Only other MMO I've ever really gotten into was Lord of the Rings Online - yeah, it was everything I hated about MMOs - fantasy setting, swords and dragons, etc., but it helped that it was a familiar setting. Between the books and the movies, it felt like I knew Middle Earth, had an attachment to it, and it was always cool to see landmarks from the books.

Anyone else have favorite MMOs?

I don't even play MMO's anymore. Used to a ton from 06-10 then it began going downhill from there. The only game I played actively was runescape. God that was a fun game. It felt different from other MMO's, that might be why I liked it so much. These days it feels like a generic MMO, might as well call it a WOW wannabe at this point. Nostalgia aside, it's still kinda fun these days..... I guess.

Runescape 2007 (along with Doom) is my favorite game of all time. It's the only MMORPG I play but damn is it addictive. Originally joined in 2004 and then quit in 2011. Returned for the "old school" server revival and haven't been bored since. Fantastic game.

I tried out a bunch of free MMORPGs between 2003-2008. In the end all of them sucked gameplay-wise and the only thing I took with me was from there on referring to level-ups in RPGs as backflips thanks to Anarchy Online's level-up animation.

I've played one MMORPG throughout the years. Ultima Online. By far the best ever. Nothing will ever come close. Hardcore shit, where everyone could kill anyone and loot all their stuff. I remember it was so scary going out with a full expensive armor, weapons and stuff.

Only one I play is Guild Wars 2. I'm not a big fan of the temporary monthly content and would prefer some big-assed permanent expansion(s). heh. I want to return to the god damned Crystal Desert already and I don't care if it's all changed and full of undead.

I tried Path of Exile on Steam since it's free to play but I find the inventory bugs me. Meh.

Other than that I have no interest in MMO's.

Last year I played TERA for about 2 months right before they nerfed the boss monsters. Loved it up to that point, quit playing 2 days after the patch.

In 2004 or 2005 I got a paid Tibia account for free, very basic game but lots of fun. Didn't renew the account and quit playing since free content was very limited.

If you know an MMO with arcadey combat similar to TERA, please let me know.