Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Patrol1985

GOG.com summer sale is up

... and Steam will do its sale in a week, but that's another topic ;)

There is a number of cool FPS games on GOG and I'm interested in Blood. Is there a way to play it on Linux? I know the source has never been released, thus there are no source ports. Does anyone know if there is a solution?

I used to fall for GOG sales, but now I've realized I never use GOG or Desura even if I have a few dozen games on each. Steam or nothing.

D&D Master set (contains 10 games) for 21 bucks? If I wouldn't already have them in my shelf, I would already going to get them. Less than 18 hours to get it if someone gets that mood. :)

geo said:

I used to fall for GOG sales, but now I've realized I never use GOG or Desura even if I have a few dozen games on each. Steam or nothing.

Just a matter of platform, a game is a game. Though I prefer to have my games "in one place" as well, but Blood is available only on GOG.

geo said:

Use it how? I treat it like an online store where I buy games and can re-download them at any point once I own them. I actually prefer that I can download the games directly from their site without having to use a separate platform to do so. Once they are installed I don't even need a platform to get them up and running.

I certainly don't mind Steam - I just wasn't sure what you meant by "use" GOG. The only way I can see using GOG is as a store to buy games. If they have good deals on games you want to buy why wouldn't you shop there from time to time? I only ever go on GOG when I see games I'm looking for or want to buy, but infrequency is no reason to stop using it.

I will have to stick my head in there when I get out of work today.

I guess the bottom line is I'd rather wait for a Steam sale to have a game on Steam instead of rebuying it for Steam. Especially now that Steam has started having 15 - 20 year old games on there.

However, I've also learned just wait for a bundle and get the games there with Steam keys.

geo said:

Especially now that Steam has started having 15 - 20 year old games on there.

That is an absolutely shitty attitude to have with older games. GOG doesn't just sell old games, they patch-slash-hack them to work flawlessly on modern systems. Steam doesn't have any guarantee of that, so you're always guaranteed to get a better product by buying it from GOG.

Jodwin said:

That is an absolutely shitty attitude to have with older games. GOG doesn't just sell old games, they patch-slash-hack them to work flawlessly on modern systems. Steam doesn't have any guarantee of that, so you're always guaranteed to get a better product by buying it from GOG.

It's possible that people looking for older games are more tech savvy and know how to make them work. Case in point: Doom.

I prefer the convenience of having all my games in one place, but I do like GOG for the games I can't get anywhere else. Oh, and I will say, one more point for Steam is the social networking features - I have a couple of friends where Steam is the best option to get ahold of them, and it's excellent in case we ever want to play a game online together. I don't mean to diss GOG or anything, in fact they're a great service, and I own a few games through them, just Steam does have some advantages.

ah.... gog/steam summer sales, reminding me every year that having too much money to spend and impulsive buying habits is a bad combination.

but this year will be different, I'm avoiding the sales this year, gotta save my money up for GTA V and DOOM on PC, and maybe the new smash bros game if I feel like getting it.

Patrol1985 said:
Blood. Is there a way to play it on Linux? I know the source has never been released, thus there are no source ports. Does anyone know if there is a solution?

Same way GOG's Windows version works: with DOSBox :-)

(Also innoextract to unpack the Windows installer without needing Wine.)

printz said:

It's possible that people looking for older games are more tech savvy and know how to make them work. Case in point: Doom.

Except when those old games simply do not work no matter what you do, because not all games have open source ports for them littering the internet. One example that I can think of from the top of my head are the Warlords: Battlecry games which simply do not work on 64bit systems but GOG managed to patch them.

Jodwin said:

GOG also gives you bonuses like the soundtrack, manual, etc.

Steam, on the other hand, gives you old games without their CD soundtrack (Hexen, Quake, etc.).

Gog gives special attention to the games they offer, unlike Steam which just throws the games and you're outta luck if they dont work.

Oooohhh, they have 7th Guest coming up on the hourly deals!

*drools*

EDIT: I just checked back and noticed "Octodad: Dadliest Catch" is coming up for a summer sale. I recall first seeing this on Steam about month ago at like $10. I'm curious to see if Steam will offer a summer deal on this indie or if GOG sneaks that one in under them. It's actually making me really want to see how both sides compare in terms of what they offer and the discount that comes with.

I saw the original Carmageddon for $2 and had to have it. I've been trying not to spend money lately, but fortunately I saw they take PayPal and I had some cash sitting in my account.

Gez said:

Steam, on the other hand, gives you old games without their CD soundtrack (Hexen, Quake, etc.).

Hell, Steam doesn't even give you the soundtrack to some Valve games!

Case in point: Opposing Force.

I've never used GoG myself, since if I ever go looking for an old DOS game, I pretty much make a B-line to EBay. Box and all that is very, very nice. :) Sadly, the prices of pristine DOS games with all their inserts can often times topple a new AAA release. I guess I'll have to check GoG out at some point or another, as they have to have something that'll strike my fancy but can't quite get me to spend 60+ dollars and deal with week long order times.

I am starting to miss GOG its ultimate promotional stunt to get people into making accounts, namely ;
lets make a big title free for one whole day.

I could not thank them enough for that because now i permanently own Fallout on my GOG account because of such a promo stunt.

Patrol1985 said:

There is a number of cool FPS games on GOG and I'm interested in Blood. Is there a way to play it on Linux? I know the source has never been released, thus there are no source ports. Does anyone know if there is a solution?

Oh cool, I've been wanting to check out Blood recently, thanks for the heads-up.

I can try it in Wine if you want, won't be able to give you a good idea of performance though (see previous conversation about old ATI cards), just whether it starts or not.

Blood works in DOSbox. DOSbox supports Linux.

GOG is cool. They do offer consistently reliable games, at least based on what I've tried.

The old games on Steam are an interesting thing. Some of them get better support than others. I logged into Steam one day to play Two Worlds and noticed System Shock 2 updating. Turns out they decided we deserved things like the soundtrack and manual, so they pushed a huge content update. It's kind of funny: GOG would offer a download whereas Steam says, "eat bonus material, bitch!"

plums said:

Oh cool, I've been wanting to check out Blood recently, thanks for the heads-up.

I can try it in Wine if you want, won't be able to give you a good idea of performance though (see previous conversation about old ATI cards), just whether it starts or not.

I think Blood can only work with Dosbox, as has already been stated. It's not a Windows application. I was just wondering if GOG managed to get some modified version, but they offer just the old .exe with a dosbox (as expected from a game with an unreleased source code).

I wonder why those who own the source code won't release it. It's not like some REVOLUTIONARY new game could be made out of it, which would take money from franchise owners.

Patrol1985 said:

I think Blood can only work with Dosbox, as has already been stated. It's not a Windows application. I was just wondering if GOG managed to get some modified version, but they offer just the old .exe with a dosbox (as expected from a game with an unreleased source code).

I wonder why those who own the source code won't release it. It's not like some REVOLUTIONARY new game could be made out of it, which would take money from franchise owners.

Gog just offers the original .exe with dosbox. There's a long history about the source code and blood's community trying to get it released. Even Jason Hall was involved, and he couldnt get it released.

geo said:

Steam or nothing.

I suppose there's no chance GOG Galaxy will change your mind?

"Now, for one more feature we call cross-play. We always believed in an open world for gamers, with no obligation to be tied to a specific platform or client; and this is why GOG Galaxy will allow gamers to play with their buddies who use Steam, without any need to use any 3rd party client or account, nothing, nada. We’re taking care of connecting GOG.com and Steam players, so just sit back, relax and give it a try."