Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

Splatoon: A quite colorful 3rd person shooter for the WII U

Yep. I've been following the countless hype threads on /v/ for a while now. It looks like a blast.

It's cool to see Nintendo's first party developers make a game that's so similar to something like TF2. I do not own a Wii U, but given enough surprises like this, I might cave and buy one.

Technician said:

5/10

Why do you think this game deserves a 5/10? yeah, I don't think it looks anything special right now, but I don't think it deserves a 5/10 from preview.

kind of looks boring to me IMO, but if it where Mario warfare or something then I would find it more interesting

A typical game for a nintendo console, and colorful. Must have some complicated programing behind it.
A : paint flows and splats everywhere.
B : you can dive into paint of your color.
C : inside of the paint you can follow its flow, even up walls.
C : it ends up looking like a bath of liquid paint and not flat decals.

But rating a game you never play, or isnt even there yet... yeah.

Looks fun, but I'm unsure about the paint gimmick. Hard to say how long it would remain novel, because I got kinda bored just watching the trailer. I'd play it though, given the chance (no way I'm going to buy a Wii U or any other current gen console anytime soon). I really hope that music doesn't make the final cut. It is intolerably bad. Bad music can completely kill a gaming experience.

I'm quite impressed, it seems really good and fun to me, with all the colours and visual style and the diving idea. I don't see the point of people's skepticism. This game probably won't be perfect, won't cause a megarevolution and won't steamroller-overcome all its competition, but that's not a reason to turn up our noses to it. I'm sure a LOT of people will experience fun with the game, what more would we want?

I don't have Wii U and I'm not going to get it even for this game, though. At least, probably.

I'm intrigued, the trailer doesn't really show it very well but the paint mechanic is supposed to be a big deal: You move faster in your team's painted area, and are really slow in your enemy team's paint. No other 3rd person shooter has really tested the waters with territory mechanics other that control points so this should be interesting.

Hard to say how long it would remain novel, because I got kinda bored just watching the trailer.

My thoughts exactly. I heard about the concept, thought it was cool, watched the trailer, and then it seemed like I was done with it.

It's strange, you'd think the paint mechanic would mix things up; but I guess ultimately all arena shooters tend to look the same to me (and it's not a good look), because human players fall into relatively optimized and hence repetitive patterns.

The movement mechanics look kind of interesting to me. I wonder how glitchy/exploitable they'll be? :P

Seems pretty fuckin' interesting.
Colorful and surreal.

Maybe a bit too cutesy for my tastes but at least it's not monochromatic gritty. It needs to have a balance.

Kids. Game for kids. Its a game shooter player fathers can play with their kids. I'm perfectly happy with it, but that doesn't mean I'll play it.

Hmmm, it doesn't look too bad but it's a little too kiddy for my taste. I might purchase it but I'll wait and see. What we really need is a sequel to Mad World (Wii) that was sick as shit.

geo said:

Kids. Game for kids. Its a game shooter player fathers can play with their kids. I'm perfectly happy with it, but that doesn't mean I'll play it.

That's a huge step up from COD (Children's On-line Daycare)

If you guys watched the treehouse streams, the game mechanics are explained in thorough detail. It's classic Territorial Control styled maps with paint.

Csonicgo said:

That's a huge step up from COD (Children's On-line Daycare)

If you guys watched the treehouse streams, the game mechanics are explained in thorough detail. It's classic Territorial Control styled maps with paint.

It also kinda has unreal tournament written all over it.

It looks fairly creative and cute, and I like the territory mechanics. It's finally trying to do something with that whole 'territory' control thing and make it a bit fresh. In terms of how traversing the map work it seems that you can have some fairly fast-paced and frantic matches. The art style is nice too, being very stylistic and easy on the eyes. I've generally prefer style over more realistic settings. This along with several other announced games sorta make me wanna get a Wii U now.

geo said:

Right on. I like the idea of it for that reason alone.

I think the concept team deathmatch and capture the flag has evolved far enough that it should certainly be possible (and become the new norm, really) to employ the same game mechanics in a manner that doesn't glorify blood and gore, real guns, or even implies violence. It's the actual strategic, real-time action that people are into. The depressing colors, painful screaming, blood splats, and "this is a serious game" tone is not essential for the core mechanics. These really should be games that are entirely neutral as far as questionably explicit content and be inviting and fun for players of all ages.

I'm picturing a game where the characters are wearing space suits and shooting "teleport rays" at each other or something. Where what is known today as "killing" your enemies, would simply be beaming them back to where they started. The warping animation could double as a respawn time or something. I don't know.

I hadn't really thought about it, but most team-based games are really about territory control - only makes sense to come up with a game that takes this concept and visualizes it. I mean yeah, there are capture points and whatnot in many games, like TF2, but there's a lot more to territory control than just those, and when I sit down and think about it, it's a lot to keep track of in your head. I mean, between Point A and B, there's friendly territory, there's contested territory, and there's enemy territory, and the battle lines are constantly shifting. Engie bases do a lot to help establish how things are divided up, but yeah, I can see a visualization mechanic adding a lot to the strategy element of territory control.

40oz said:

I'm picturing a game where the characters are wearing space suits and shooting "teleport rays" at each other or something. Where what is known today as "killing" your enemies, would simply be beaming them back to where they started. The warping animation could double as a respawn time or something. I don't know.

Shootmania, if nobody minds a shameless plug, did just about that with Q3-esque mechanics. It's pretty awesome.

That paint movement was interesting idea, but I won't buy wiiU just because of that feature, maybe when new metroid game comes to wiiU and those too fast idle movements look stupid, I hate that same thing in rts games when units are humping air 1000rpm