Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

DOOM Lives! Teaser trailer inside.

hardcore_gamer said:

That thing made my display driver go bonkers so I had to restard my pc :(

Oh my god, it really does! Thankfully, my drivers came back online and I killed my browser ASAP. Do you happen to use an Nvidia card by any chance? Because I use a GTX760. Not only is E3 itself a load of crap these days, even the stability of their presentation code is.

In any case, I warn anyone about to click that link to take caution and make preparations to either killing your browser or having to restart your computer.

Sodaholic said:

Oh my god, it really does! Thankfully, my drivers came back online and I killed my browser ASAP. Do you happen to use an Nvidia card by any chance? Because I use a GTX760. Not only is E3 itself a load of crap these days, even the stability of their presentation code is.

In any case, I warn anyone about to click that link to take caution and make preparations to either killing your browser or having to restart your computer.

Hah, I have a GT540M and it didn't even come close to doing either. I don't know if it was fixed by the time I clicked on it or I got lucky somehow.

It's alive! Sure the trailer is a bit lack luster, but it's only a teaser right? See those movie trailers nowadays that show you a scene from the beginning, middle, and near end? Horrendous. That trailer for Dumb and Dumber 2? It felt like they already showed you all the good jokes in hopes you will watch them again.

I know game trailers fall under a different philosophy, but Quakecon will be the big reveal. Then we can resume being hardened videogame cynics and take a dump on our cherished gaming Franchise.

No Gameplay: The Trailer. And the doom 1 door sound (which is just cheaper to use and nostalgia bait that has been taken by nearly everyone in the thread). Can't wait for Quakecon.

Great trailer, ID, totally gonna spend $50 on Brown-n-Bloom 4

DooM_RO said:

Nothing can be browner and blander than the Quake games...

Nigga is you serious?

http://plusxp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/quake2.jpg

Yes and this screenshot is proof of that. So bland...a far cry from the vibrant colors of Doom and Duke 3D. All the Quake games have ever been for me are brown Doom clones. (I am speaking of Single player of course) I don't think id have ever made a game better than the first Doom. All subsequent games have some kind of problems.

P.S This is a teaser, not a trailer. Big difference.

Sodaholic said:

http://gametarget.ru/images/stories/games/quake3arena/2.jpg
http://www.gamefabrique.com/storage/screenshots/n64/quake-2-05.png

There's more than just brown in Quake 2 and 3. 4 doesn't count as a proper Quake game 'cause it sucked and wasn't made by id.

Was talking about the first two Quakes.

Yeah, sure, the second screenshot has some water in it and just a bit of orange...ok. Still looks dull.

DooM_RO said:

http://plusxp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/quake2.jpg

Yes and this screenshot is proof of that. So bland...a far cry from the vibrant colors of Doom and Duke 3D.

Yeah right. Play some Thy Flesh Consumed style level and think that again.

Also multicolour lights like in that other Quake 2 shot from this thread look ugly. I think vanilla Quake 2 has its big share of them though.

I am not against brown or grey, you misunderstand me. What upsets my eyes is when the whole game looks like my shitter(I am speaking of the Quake games of course). The first 3 episodes in Doom are quite vibrant and use textures in interesting ways, the fact that E4 is brown makes it distinguished from other episodes.

EDIT: Ideally, Doom 4 will look more like this

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/7/6603/mallscreen01_big.png

or this

http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/35/34266/auto/devblog_3_01.png

DooM_RO said:

I am not against brown or grey, you misunderstand me. What upsets my eyes is when the whole game looks like my shitter(I am speaking of the Quake games of course). The first 3 episodes in Doom are quite vibrant and use textures in interesting ways, the fact that E4 is brown makes it distinguished from other episodes.

EDIT: Ideally, Doom 4 will look more like this

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/7/6603/mallscreen01_big.png

or this

http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/35/34266/auto/devblog_3_01.png

If the game takes place on earth, it can have a more variety of colors I think, a city as a scenario would force id devs to make some efforts to pull more variety.

If happens in mars, it will most likely be grey, brown with some white just like most space bases in fiction.

Kaskaum said:

If happens in mars, it will most likely be grey, brown with some white just like most space bases in fiction.

I hope it isn't set on Mars. As much as I love the whole Mars setting, it's time for a change. Besides last time they had us not able to explore the Mars surface at all and very few views of said surface from the station. heh. Think running from one door to another with a shitty airtank turned me off somehow. :p

Doom Dude said:

I hope it isn't set on Mars. As much as I love the whole Mars setting, it's time for a change. Besides last time they had us not able to explore the Mars surface at all and very few views of said surface from the station. heh. Think running from one door to another with a shitty airtank turned me off somehow. :p

But I want my E1 remake :(

DooM_RO said:

But I want my E1 remake :(

..... E1 WAS NOT ON MARS! E1 WAS ON PHOBOS! *Doom fanboy rage, starts ripping up stuff!* If this is a remake though, it should be set on Phobos, Deimos, Hell, the Moon (yes E4 is set on the Moon), and then on Earth.... :D

It doesn't matter, E1 could be on any distant planet. We've already had Phobos and Deimos...true we've had Mars in Doom 3 so maybe Doom 4 E1 could be on Tei Tenga?

How about E1 is on Tei Tenga, E2 on Earth and E3 in Hell?

Oh shiieettt, totally awesome. First thought that was mancubus but it looked like something between baron and mancubus. I hate these teasers because they just tease you, I want more material.

OFF topic.

New gameplay video of COD: AW. It is hard to believe that CoD still uses ID tech 3 engine(modified each new CoD) since COD 3.

But yes, a modified id tech 3 that gave life to Quake 3. They've been using and modifying it since CoD 3 in all its glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRUZ9p4oYQ

If ID can't pull better graphics in Doom with ID tech 5, it will be very very sad.

I'd prefer the game, levels and story to be based off of Knee Deep In The Dead, Shores of Hell, Inferno and Hell of Earth from Classic DOOM. The game would also take after Metroid Prime in level design, story and, to an extent, enemy design/gameplay.

The first half of the game would be a remake/reboot of DOOM while the second half would be DOOM II. This would also give proper enemy introduction, environmental variety, balance, an expanded story that stays true to DOOM and a perfect "twist" that changes the game greatly.

Story Intro/Tutorial - Mars
Knee Deep In The Dead - Phobos
Shores Of Hell - Deimos
Inferno - Hell
Hell on Earth - Earth

Game opens up on Mars with a story introduction and gameplay tutorial. We find out that Flynn Taggart(Doomguy) was sent to Mars for beating up his commanding officer, get introduced to the UAC, go through a quick tutorial and then everything goes haywire. Doomguy must go to Phobos to try and stop the invasion.

Then we go on to each "planet" of Prime/DOOM. Phobos, Deimos, Hell and then Earth.

Metroid Prime level design is closer to Classic DOOM than any other FPS made in a very long time and to me, thats what DOOM 3 and DOOM should be designed like. It should be a lot more action packed of course and it probably shouldn't play like a Metroidvania, but I think Prime is a good base for a next-gen DOOM.

Instead of Tallon IV with it's sections, it would be Phobos with these sections.

Hangar
Nuclear Plant
Toxin Refinery
Command Control
Phobos Lab
Central Processing
Computer Station
Phobos Anomaly

Same for Deimos, Hell and then Earth could be gigantic. Instead of Prime Elevators we have Portals. Doors could fundtion the same as they do in Prime as well, except we dont have to shoot them. Background music would be fitting for each area as well.

Level design could be excellent and there would be a ton of stuff to explore on Phobos, Deimos, Hell and Earth if the player wanted elected to after clearing well designed, well balanced rooms of enemies that just dont exist in FPS games anymore like they did in DOOM. Focus wouldn't be on duck and cover but spacing and run and gun like in the originals. I think Prime's system provides that even if Prime didn't provide "real" FPS enemies, nor should it have, because it's Metroid. However one thing certain Prime enemies have in common with DOOM Enemies/gameplay is that it's more of a puzzle to defeat them as opposed to just shooting them.

A lot can be done with the base concept of the four canon episodes and it will all feel new to both veterans and newcomers, which there will be a ton of.

I also wouldn't mind them breaking the FPS view when it comes to climbing ladders, swimming or any "platforming" elements that just can't be done properly in the first-person.

-------------------------------

To those that prefer levels, speed runs and the such of the originals this could be implemented as replay value via levels/challenges based on each area of a Phobos, Deimos, Hell and Earth. Difficulty levels would provide different enemy, item placement and effect along with the basic hit point differences. It would be a perfect way to implement a leader board system for single player whereas the main game/story mode would just be about the experience and atmosphere of DOOM.

Based on what Tim Willits said regarding the old version of Doom that got rejected:

"You can make a game and say, 'that's not a bad game, but it's not as good as an Elder Scrolls game should be,' and there's a difference... it's not great. It's not amazing. It's not what people have waited all this time for. It needs to be like 'this was totally worth the wait."

"And I think what the guys at id are working on is... they're pushing the boundaries and challenging themselves. I don't want anybody to look at id's next project and have this reaction that it's still stuck in the 90s."

So, they know if Doom relies only on what used to work in 90s, it will have no selling point as a high-budget AAA game set in a 201_ gaming market.

It must go beyond that. So I imagine that they're going to do like they did to Wolfenstein TNO: mixing old school elements and modern elements like story and characters. It worked in TNO, so it can work in Doom too.

Also expect a complete re-imagination of the basic lore, the teaser shows a little about its story.

The teaser suggests a more mature approach to storytelling. id is clearly not going for naive cornball melodrama as in Doom 3. At least I hope. I mean, how do you take a premise like "Demons and techno monsters invade Martian territory somehow" and make it work as a serious backstory? Can it even be done?

I think demon travel from hell taking over Earth can work is a serious tone, but it must be well done. But I'm open for a new approach regarding the origin of those monsters.

GoatLord said:

I mean, how do you take a premise like "Demons and techno monsters invade Martian territory somehow" and make it work as a serious backstory? Can it even be done?

I thought DOOM 3 was pretty serious. It had a couple of missteps but generally I thought that the backstory was handled nicely in terms of tone.

Nah, son. All that "obvious antagonist laughing manically after taunting you" shit was too much. I'd say Doom 3's narrative involved more then a couple of missteps.

Okay, to that I'll agree. Much of the narrative and expositional elements not involving Betruger were done very nicely.

Not to rain on everybody's parade, but the trailer, art style, etc. looks awfully similar to Doom 3. In fact, it could BE an unused Doom 3.

Let's hope "Doom 4" won't be a kind of "Doom 3: Final Edition".