Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Ok, my first try (Adrian Asleep) was not good (too loud, fck, you know this ambient music, but...uh, nvm), but this music you will like (I hope):

That's as creepy as fook. What are the names of the instruments Hodges used?

It sounds a lot more like music than the first track you did, but the first one was scarier.

Thanks! About the instruments - they are only in my own list (and only on russian, lol). Most of them I just called as "Infernal wind". There are only 55 instruments (standart is 128).

MajorRawne said:

Aubrey Hodges. PSX Doom. So badass they don't need 73 instruments.

I bet Bobby Prince did.

Fraggle actually wrote something that could give the exact amount of instrument uses in a set of MIDI files, so somebody just need to run it on the IWAD MIDI songs. (The stats.py in
Freedoom itself was generated by running gather_stats.py on "various well-known WAD files" and I'm not even sure the IWADs were included in them since they're the ones you wouldn't hear in Freedoom after all.)

The typical Doom MIDI file uses less than 15 instruments, by the way.

Ending track. 3 hours (clear time). And this sound awful, but anyway...

I see another picture (from monsters view) - Doomguy's back, and light...and demons can't kill him, because there are angels in the light...they want to save marine...

I've used remixed midi by silentzorah from prjtnt.wad as base music. Not really good idea.

upd:

Any news on the Lost Levels' progress? Anyone doing anything about the monster limit weirdness?

DeXiaZ, the Farewell remix is too busy, too many discordant noises, but Sinewave is extremely horrible (in a good way!). I'd like to use the mp3 of that for a planned future hell map. I'm sure I can find maps for the other tracks you've made. Any more progress?

Not really, but if I'll do new tracks, you can listen them in this topic (I won't to flood here). And thank you!

Has anyone thought about compiling a "PSX Doom - Complete" mod? It would be all of the PSX Doom levels, plus all the Lost Levels, but in the order of the original games.

Then maybe go the next step, "PSX Doom Complete +". Complete games, plus things removed from the game, such as Arch Villes. All the benefits of PSX Doom, with the benefits of PC Doom.

Is anyone working on converting No Rest for the Living, and Doom 64 maps? Those would be interesting.

I'm editing the Icon of Sin map a lot, since it differs so greatly from the original. I'm going to make it more like it was in the original game.

tho the lower res on PSX makes it SO LOVELY that it better be in the TC too

Sevmura said:

Has anyone thought about compiling a "PSX Doom - Complete" mod? It would be all of the PSX Doom levels, plus all the Lost Levels, but in the order of the original games.
Is anyone working on converting No Rest for the Living, and Doom 64 maps? Those would be interesting.

Look around this topic and the forum for fuck's sake! There's already (plans for) a PC order MAPINFO, the NRFTL maps have already gone through one stage of conversion (they just need simplifying to fall in line with PSX map standards and limitations), and you can also see this topic on the first page of WADs & Mods! Once that D64 project is complete, then we'll talk about 'PSX-ifying' the maps (PS It's already been agreed on as a future project; we're actually way ahead of you).

I'm editing the Icon of Sin map a lot, since it differs so greatly from the original. I'm going to make it more like it was in the original game.

Hold your fuckin' horses son, you're doing no such thing. I'm already in the process of reworking/resplitting that myself so keep your goddamn hands off.

Don't know if these have been reported, but:

I get a crash at the start of Mephisto that says "THINGS not found in"

Also, in Industrial Zone, the player starts in the middle of the map near the Yellow Key, as opposed to in the actual starting room.

peach freak said:

Don't know if these have been reported, but:

I get a crash at the start of Mephisto that says "THINGS not found in"

Also, in Industrial Zone, the player starts in the middle of the map near the Yellow Key, as opposed to in the actual starting room.

I think the Mephisto bug is related to the exit line's definition on the previous map (arguments filled instead of all being empty). I mentioned this one a while back but progress on the project was slowing down a bit at that point (burnout!) so I'm not surprised that it wasn't addressed/hotfix'd ASAP.

As for Industrial Zone, that might have been my fault and added when I was fixing a few bits and pieces, although I don't remember messing around with that section of the map.

What we really need to sort these problems out is some sort of small and organised playtesting/editing team to go through a predetermined set of 5 - 10 mapslots each and fix them accordingly.

BaronOfStuff said:

Welcome to the forums and thanks for showing interest. Good luck in doing your own Icon of Sin. :)

There. Fixed. :)

Such friendly people around these parts. :P

Average said:

Such friendly people around these parts. :P

Ach, it's a nightmare when you see new users with one post who clearly haven't been lurking on the boards first or tried reading the damn topic they've just posted in.

BaronOfStuff said:

As for Industrial Zone, that might have been my fault and added when I was fixing a few bits and pieces, although I don't remember messing around with that section of the map.

That would be my doing, Megamur suggested something that would work better on the PSX version on the map, and I uploaded a fix sometime, refer to one of my posts in page 47 for the link.

MajorRawne said:

Any news on the Lost Levels' progress? Anyone doing anything about the monster limit weirdness?

Been taking some time away from Doom(world), sorry.

Well, guys, I want to try to do an another teaser-trailer. I wanted it as suprise to you, but I think I need help.

You know, my english is not really good, because it's not my native language. So, I think you can help me with grammar and other things:

Demonic voice from PSX Doom:
"The Humanity is creating the heroes.
But for someone this hero can be the anti-hero.
There is the man, who saved one world, but totally destroyed the another.
The whole Multi-Universe heard about his exploits,
But you don't know the whole story. And I have something new to tell you..."

My take

DeXiaZ said:

"Humanity had created the hero.
For some, this hero was anything but.
There was a man, who saved his world, but totally destroyed another.
The whole universe has heard of his exploits, but you don't know the whole story. I have more to tell you..."

Nice, thank you! Any another additions/versions? (:

UPD: I thought about your version, but it's possible to stick my text idea? :)

I mean, "Humanity created not 1 hero, there are a lot of them" + isn't Hell in another Universe? ;)

UPD2: Like this:

The Humanity is creating the heroes.
But for someone our hero can be the anti-hero.
It's a man, who saved one world, but totally destroyed the another.
The whole Universe has heard about his exploits,
But you don't know the whole story. And I have more to tell you...

To be picky, I don't think Hell would be calling Doomguy their "anti-hero". He's Hell's nemesis.

If anything, Doomguy is Earth's anti-hero. He's the good guy, yes, but he sure as fuck isn't noble, moral or merciful in his actions.

BaronOfStuff said:

To be picky, I don't think Hell would be calling Doomguy their "anti-hero". He's Hell's nemesis.

If anything, Doomguy is Earth's anti-hero. He's the good guy, yes, but he sure as fuck isn't noble, moral or merciful in his actions.

Hm, very interesting opinion. You're right. Well, possibly my phrase should be:
"But for some, our hero is the nemesis"?

UPD:
"Humanity creates Heroes.
But for some, our hero is the nemesis.
It's a man, who saved one world, but totally destroyed the another.
The whole Universe has heard about his exploits,
But you don't know the whole story. And I have more to tell you..."

"Humanity creates heroes.
But for some, our hero is nemesis.
A man, who saved one world, but totally destroyed another.
The whole universe has heard of his exploits.

:)

Average said:

"Humanity creates heroes.
But for some, our hero is nemesis.
A man, who saved one world, but totally destroyed another.
The whole universe has heard of his exploits.

:)

Yeah, the best version in my opinion. Thanks, guys!

Well, just 2 screens from my video part of trailer:

Spoiler

Ok, here we go. But I don't know, why Youtube hates me. I want to add English and Spanish subtitles, but I can't. IDK why, google doesn't help me with this problem, lol.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

DeXiaZ said:

Ok, here we go. But I don't know, why Youtube hates me. I want to add English and Spanish subtitles, but I can't. IDK why, google doesn't help me with this problem, lol.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

I can hardly understand anything you say. Maybe not distort your voice so much?
It's a good trailer though.

It's not my voice, but thank you!

I will add subs, but when I understand how to add more subtitles.

UPD: Finally. Added other 2 languages :)

Might I suggest using Doom 64 music in the Lost Levels track arrangement for the sake of variety?

And just to check: has Go 2 It had its detail simplified using PSX Entryway as a reference?