Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Lesser-Know FPS Games

I know of only a couple; being Zero Tolerance on the Genesis and Bionicle Heroes on the DS. I suppose Yoshi's Safari could count, if you're not too picky. There's also Resident Evil Survivor, but that game's pretty garbage. I know there's a few on the GBA of mixed quality.

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, No One Lives Forever, Clive Barker's Undying, Witchaven, Tekwar, Fate, The Legend of the 7 Paladins, Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Outlaws.
I will edit this post if i find more.

Once you get past the laughably dated engine, Chasm: The Rift is a fun little game. The art, monsters and cut scenes are all very fun. But again the dated engine makes the game feel like Wolfenstein with Quake models.

I personally had a great experience with RE: Survivor. Don't get me wrong, that control system is about as useful as Emile Heskey but I find that is sorted by the use of a light gun. I have not played the sequel, though I found the original to be enjoyable last time I played it (which was quite a while back) so I couldn't tell you how it holds today.

Technician said:

Once you get past the laughably dated engine, Chasm: The Rift is a fun little game. The art, monsters and cut scenes are all very fun. But again the dated engine makes the game feel like Wolfenstein with Quake models.

I've tried researching the engine and have found almost no information. What I did find out is that no one gave a shit about the editor that came with the game and thus no modding community exists. Why on Earth would anyone develop an orthogonal engine that supports 3D models? This was in the late 90s, a time when fully 3D games were playable even on low-end PCs. It's both fascinating and baffling that the programmers would devise such a restrictive engine.

Chasm, Chaser, XIII as said. Carnivores: Cityscape is the black sheep of the Carnivores franchise, and deservingly so. Still, the actual city levels look very nice, but otherwise it's a poor man's AvP2. THen there's that shit Operation: Bodycount.

Operation: Body Count gets a bad rap because of the lame sewer levels at the beginning of the game. Once you get into the building proper, it's a perfectly fine 90's style shoot'em up. Tried some clever things for a Wolf 3D game, and it still arguably has the best flame thrower ever implemented in an fps (you can actually, like, set shit on fire with it -- and the fire actually spreads, something I don't think any other fps has ever done.)

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason is an interesting FPS with ok puzzles (I think it's more of survival horror?), great graphics and for me, story and VA was good. Linearity might be a problem to some folks.

Spoiler

Besides, how many games have a movie that tries actively kill you? :3

Also, Clive Barker's Undying is another forgotten piece of goodness which married horror and FPS quite well.

There was one FPS i remember seeing on some news program back in the 90s (it was a report on violence and the occult in videos games.) The theme was sort of like a reverse Doom; you were on the side of Hell. You played as a demonic being that killed these disturbing looking angels. I think it may have been called "Slay Seraphim" or something along those lines... Anyone have an idea?

Would it be... Requiem: Avenging Angel? I dunno about playing the side of Hell, but it does vaguely fit there. See if this is the one...

CorSair said:

Would it be... Requiem: Avenging Angel? I dunno about playing the side of Hell, but it does vaguely fit there. See if this is the one.

Nah, it was a 2.5 D shooter

EDIT: I think I might have it confused with this http://www.gamershell.com/download_2003.shtml

This one is called, "Slay Slaughter", i think its fully 3d

But the 2.5 D shooter remains a elusive to me. Even more so now that I discovered I truly don't know the name at all.

BlueFeena said:

Operation: Body Count gets a bad rap because of the lame sewer levels at the beginning of the game. Once you get into the building proper, it's a perfectly fine 90's style shoot'em up. Tried some clever things for a Wolf 3D game, and it still arguably has the best flame thrower ever implemented in an fps (you can actually, like, set shit on fire with it -- and the fire actually spreads, something I don't think any other fps has ever done.)

OBC was certainly technically impressive for it's time; controllable allies, body jumping, a near fully destructible environment etc.

But the games lack of popularity mean's it's not remembered for such things and other newer games tend to get the technical credit that OBC should probably get.

Technician said:

Are you Russian?