Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

I want to organize a QuakeCon meetup.

I live in Dallas, literally less than half an hour from where QuakeCon will be held, so of course it won't be a big deal for me to get there. I don't know who else lives around here, or is willing to make the trip, but I've been on this forum for more than a decade and I think it'd be really awesome to finally meet some of ya'll. I'd like to use this thread to discuss and organize a possible rallying of Doomers (is that what we're called?).

Man, if I weren't living on the other side of the world I would come without question, especially since Doom 4 is going to be announced...I would love to meet fellow Doomworlders and talk about Doom, especially at Quakecon but I simply can't :(.

If any of you are going and are planning to ask some questions at the inevitable Q&A, I suggest you carefully craft the way you are going to ask things. Willits is a sly old fox and will deftly avoid questions with his PR smile.

P.S Doomer sounds cool but I think Doomie is even better.

Good point. Since I am mostly definitely planning to go, I could try to find the best questions from DW and ask them at a keynote speech if at all possible.

Guest Unregistered account

If I wasn't in the UK... I WOULD BE THERE IN A HEARTBEAT!

(To QuakeCon 2014)

... And also my dad probably wouldn't be keen to go. Or maybe he would? He's a bit of a retro gamer as well as a modern one, so it's kinda hard to tell.

Being 13 has its ups and downs.

But man! Turning up at QuakeCon! As a 13 year-old! How many kids do you think'll be there?

... I suppose parading around wearing a nametag that reads "I'M JOE667 FROM TEH DOOMWORLD FORUMS" would be pushing it. :D

If you're able to record any gameplay footage of Doom 4 if demos are on the floor, that'd be useful and appreciated.

Oh shit wank, another year I won't be able to make. Let alone afford, hopefully next year I may be able to afford it and be free to attend provided BT's apprenticeship programme allows time off around that period, sunshine.

Sodaholic said:

If you're able to record any gameplay footage of Doom 4 if demos are on the floor, that'd be useful and appreciated.

If that is not possible then a Newstuff-like review of what people see would be good. (or both!)

Doomkid said:

Australia needs a quakecon damnit!

Agreed, but I doubt that'll ever happen any time soon.

Doomkid said:

Australia needs a quakecon damnit!

There are spiders there :( How about somewhere in Europe?

We'll be there as exhibitors this year. Hopefully that means we'll still be able to hang out in the BYOC area once the exhibit hall closes.

You have quite a nice engine Carn! If I were you I would licence it to indie devs like Id used to do.

Anyway, I'm surprised Doomworld doesn't have an unofficially official Doomworld meetup. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't know if I'm going to go all three days. But I think it'd be fun to act as a correspondent, to give you guys updates, because right now it seems like I'm one of the only ones definitely going.

I asked for the 17th off from work, so I'm definitely going. I've already registered on the website. It looks like I'll be acting as a correspondent for the forums!

As stated in another thread, it would be a good idea to compile a list of carefully crafted questions for the inevitable Q&A that will get past Willits' PR speak...or at least get SOME useful information. Tough questions that cannot be easily dodged but still diplomatic. Maybe even start a new thread for this?

DooM_RO said:

As stated in another thread, it would be a good idea to compile a list of carefully crafted questions for the inevitable Q&A that will get past Willits' PR speak...or at least get SOME useful information. Tough questions that cannot be easily dodged but still diplomatic. Maybe even start a new thread for this?

"How would you feel about the DooM marine being a gay black guy?"

LOL! Man, what a great reply to wake up to. Hilarious. Seriously though, I don't know if I'll even get to ask any questions, but if I can, go ahead and post some here.

I might get a chance to ask one question at the reveal. Maybe two if I word it concisely enough. I'd like to take suggestions from DW. Go!

What makes Doom "Doom" and what makes it different from the average Call of Duty shooter?

Do you have any favorite WADs and are any of them an inspiration for Doom 4?

In all honesty, I think questions should be centered around Doom 4 specifically. Then again, id might still be keeping their lips sealed.

If that's the case then asking what they think makes Doom "Doom" would be an indirect way of obtaining relevant information.

GoatLord said:

In all honesty, I think questions should be centered around Doom 4 specifically.

Zenimax shouldn't have a problem choosing a Q&A rep that isn't ignorant of significant aspects of Doom's established legacy, if asked in respect to Doom 4.

Okay, so I think it's (so far) in agreement that "What makes Doom Doom", while very awkwardly phrased, is a good question, though it might be even better to word it as, "What is the essence of Doom and how does that relate to development of the new game?"

They could still avoid that by saying it's scary or blasting demons. Nothing substantial and nothing we don't already know. If you ask them what the essence of Doom is then it's already clear that what they think will impact the development of Doom 4.

"What is the essence of Doom and what makes it different from the average Call of Duty shooter?" would not only tell us what they think the core of the franchise is (and therefore what to expect from the new game) but also tell us how their next game will be different from the average modern shooter.

"What is the essence of Doom and what makes it different from the average Call of Duty shooter?"

So far, that has been the best and most concise thing I think I could possibly ask, provided there's a Q&A section during the reveal. Any other suggestions?