Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Doom 3 Preorder?

This will no doubt eventually go to post hell(it might even go right now) but how many of you will be preordering? Also, do you think this game could pass all others as the best selling game of all time? I have noticed even on forums for UT2003 that they're talking about Doom 3

I really think it's stupid people insist on comparing Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal 2 to Doom3, it's basically pointless.
For example, UT2K3 is almost finished, and will be here in a matter of months, Unreal 2 will be here by christmas and Doom 3 hasn't even got a release date. Speculation is around christmas 2003 so it's a long way off. Also you should note that UT2K3 is soley a deathmatch game, Unreal 2 is more of the Science Fiction/Action/Adventure game and Doom 3 will be a horror game. Same genre, WAY WAY WAY different styles. Just because they share the same Point of View doesn't mean they will be the same.

I highly doubt it will reach best selling game of all time, I mean, sure it will definately sell a few just because of the games name,
but don't instantly assume it will be "The Best" There will ALWAYS be a better game, even if it takes a few years after doom to arrive, but it when it does, doom3 will be forgotten, and when another game beats the "best game of all time", it will become the best game of all time too, while it's predecessor will sit in the budget section. It's just the way it goes, and most of the time the term "Best game" is used to generate hype anyway, so it's basically meaningless in the long run anyway. (The term "best game") Just wait for the damn game, and form your own opinion when it comes out.

Woah, that was long winded....

The really cool games are those that people still like once the hype and the "newness" have fizzled off:

Like Doom. I hope Doom 3 will too. :)

Nah, this thread wont be post helled - the topic is not downright braindead :-)
Hm, I never preorder my games. I prefer to go down to a shop and purchase the game there, and I doubt It'll be any different with Doom 3 (I just hope, that there wont be any "fighting" to get a copy).

Doom 3 best selling game of all time? Cute, but no. I think it'll be somewhat of a poor-seller because of the requirements.

No, I won't preorder. What's the point? It'll cost more and is likely slower than going down to the store and buying it.

But I must say, it was really nice back in the day where you had to mail-order to get the full version of the most popular games. Sure it was inconvenient, but it was freaking exciting waiting for it to arrive. The only games I ever mail-ordered were Duke Nukem 3D and Epic Pinball, both great games.

Well most stores sell out on popular games and you can't get them if you just walk in, you have to actually order it ahead of time kinda like PS2

Who me? And by the way your post was spam. I would pre order this game, simply cause it usually arrives here a day earlier then most stores here in Canada get it

I try and pre order a game/console or whatever for the simple fact if it sells out, you have no chance of getting it by just going to the store and buying it. Plus people for pre ordered get it first so yeah, and how will it be more expensive?

Well, it depends, I don't pre-order often, because if it's a "BIG" game like the unreal series and such then both of the games shops near me will have at least twenty copies and I will always get a copy when I go in to pick the game up. One place insists I should always pre-order, but most of the time I get the game on the day it comes out anyway, hot seller or not, just because there will be a lot of copies in either place. Mind you, if I do pre-order, then I will get a copy reserved and even if a fluke happens and game does sell out. It's also a litte bit cheaper if I do reserve it, Doom 3, well we can't really debate pre-ordering yet, because it's too far away to bother and we don't know how much hype it will get. So, at the moment, No, I won't pre-order.

PmRd said:

You post too much

Hehe, I post WAY to damn much, I really need to cut down. BTW, this rules. I am not gonna pre-order Doom 3 because I want to fight my way through the crowd to nab a copy ^_^

AndrewB said:

Doom 3 best selling game of all time? Cute, but no. I think it'll be somewhat of a poor-seller because of the requirements.

I keep sensing negative waves in your direction Mr B :-P
Pardon me, but I think that comment was insanely dumb. Doom 3 a poor seller JUST because of requirements?
/Me shakes head.
Afaik, Quake 1, Quake 2 and even Q3A sold a lot of copies DESPITE their HUGE requirements at the time.
Why would Doom 3 be a bad seller? Because it's not 100% like the old Doom?
It might, or it might not be as good a seller as the original Doom, but I would be veeery surprised if it ended up being a bad seller.
Heck, RtCW sold millions of copies despite some of you saying that the game is shit (I still can't believe it!).

I suppose that in 18 months, Doom 3's requirements won't be so bad. Yeah, it'll probably sell good, but cutting-edge-technology games can never compete with low-tech games such as The Sims, and Myst, and Flight Simulator, I believe the 1-2-3 punch.

RTCW was a pretty darn good game. It actually had some puzzles and things to figure out and places to wander. A few people said the game was way too short, I think that's ridiculous. I don't know if it's twice as long as Half-Life, but that's what it feels like.

So yeah, I'm not too terribly excited about Doom 3. I'm a fan of Doom and Doom 2 because of the outstanding ease and simplicity of WAD-editing, and the many innovations of modern source ports. If Doom 3 doesn't have anything that made me interested in the originals, why would it be anything for me to be excited about?

DOOM3 may not be sold as good as other game like the Sims .it is not only beacause High-system requirement,but also the violence content that may not keep out some group of customers (e.g. casual gamers).

bigbadgangsta said:

I am not gonna pre-order Doom 3 because I want to fight my way through the crowd to nab a copy ^_^

Stuff fighting, just break into the shop and steal one!

Hopefully where I work will get the game in, so I can get it a bit earlier...