Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sahkan

So, how old are you ?

Old enough to know not to talk to strangers. But I like to live dangerously.

I am 22, finishing college and adulthood is right in front of me...it's quite scary to be honest.

DooM_RO said:

I am 22, finishing college and adulthood is right in front of me...it's quite scary to be honest.

It's not too bad, as long as you get drunk often enough*. It does get dull though when you don't have any reasonable amount of free time for several months.

*Terrible advice, ignore this.

29. I don't feel old, but I really feel the difference between now and then. The other day I was talking a teen I work with, who didn't know what a beeper is. Heh. Been Dooming since 1994.

BaronOfStuff said:

It's not too bad, as long as you get drunk often enough*. It does get dull though when you don't have any reasonable amount of free time for several months.

*Terrible advice, ignore this.

It's not just that, I am getting an English degree which means I am probably going to wind up as an English teacher...ugh. I dread it because I keep thinking it might force me to change my life and become a boring husk. I mean have you ever seen a teacher do cool stuff like playing video games or wear heavy metal T-Shirts? They'll probably make me cut my hair too...

Sadly, English is the only thing I am really good at as I have been able to speak it fluently from a very young age and all grammar courses including college have been a breeze for me (I am from Romania)... God damn it, I don't want to be an adult and I don't want to be a boring teacher...If I could play video games my whole life I would be happy :(

DooM_RO said:

It's not just that, I am getting an English degree which means I am probably going to wind up as an English teacher...ugh. I dread it because I keep thinking it might force me to change my life and become a boring husk. I mean have you ever seen a teacher do cool stuff like playing video games or wear heavy metal T-Shirts? They'll probably make me cut my hair too...

Sadly, English is the only thing I am really good at as I have been able to speak it fluently from a very young age and all grammar courses including college have been a breeze for me... God damn it, I don't want to be an adult and I don't want to be a boring teacher...

Hmm, english, and wear heavy metal shirts and and play video games...

http://mattchat.us/

doomgargoyle said:

Hmm, english, and wear heavy metal shirts and and play video games...

http://mattchat.us/

I don't know man, it just seems to me that as soon as teachers start teaching they must undergo brain surgery that sucks out all the fun and life out of them.

(that's quite an interesting blog though, maybe he escaped surgery. I'm sure he's found a way to trick the system. Cool guy!)

23. Still in college, however, I didn't enter college till I was 21. Probably going to remain here for at least 4 more years. Mechanical engineering is frickin' brutal.

Guest Unregistered account
Olympus said:

15, looks like with sgt dopey and eris falling im one of the youngest people here!

... Not quite. Check out my signatureDON'T BOTHER TRYING TO READ THE CROSSED-OUT TEXT AND INSTEAD LOOK AT THE POST BELOW

Guest Unregistered account

I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE

No, seriously. I'm 13 years old.

I don't have a job and get to lounge around after school! Which, funnily enough, means playing Doom!

Most of the time!

Honestly, this is my signature:

Been Dooming since I was about 3, back in 1995. Watching my brother and my dad just wasn't enough by that stage. One of my earliest life memories is watching my dad and uncle play Wolf3D, actually.

DooM_RO said:

I don't know man, it just seems to me that as soon as teachers start teaching they must undergo brain surgery that sucks out all the fun and life out of them.

Don't worry man, I've had a few cool teachers - They're not ALL bad! (Many are though..)

DooM_RO said:

Sadly, English is the only thing I am really good at as I have been able to speak it fluently from a very young age and all grammar courses including college have been a breeze for me (I am from Romania)... God damn it, I don't want to be an adult and I don't want to be a boring teacher...If I could play video games my whole life I would be happy :(

Are you joking? Ive had plenty of teachers who knew all about video games from the 8-bit era to today. I've had long chats with them talking about strategy's for all the old games. I've even had a teacher who is in one of the old Nintendo power magazines for having the fastest time on Facility for Goldeneye.

I'm 28.

DooM_RO said:

Story of my life ;) English has been my only real strength as well, and yes, I'm an English teacher :)

... but I don't consider myself boring to be honest. If I'm "boring" in my classes it's because it's the only "common denominator" that won't get you in trouble.

Show DOOM to kids and you will be deemed awesome by some of them, while parents of other kids will file a complaint against you for promoting violence, even though their kid has played every modern CoD in existence.

Patrol1985 said:

I'm 28.

Story of my life ;) English has been my only real strength as well, and yes, I'm an English teacher :)

... but I don't consider myself boring to be honest. If I'm "boring" in my classes it's because it's the only "common denominator" that won't get you in trouble.

Show DOOM to kids and you will be deemed awesome by some of them, while parents of other kids will file a complaint against you for promoting violence, even though their kid has played every modern CoD in existence.

I see, so teaching is a lot like politics then?

DooM_RO said:

I see, so teaching is a lot like politics then?

I've never been a politician, but I assume it is. Like it or not, the teacher is always seen as some sort of a moral compass for the children they teach. Even more so in a generation where parents think that it is "the school's duty to bring up their kids".

Naturally, I consider every single parent sharing such an opinion a retard, but I have to play this game. If I consider my kids "normal", I will share a dirty joke or two with them, or occasionally organize a multiplayer game. During my apprenticeship I overheard some pupils talking about Quake Live. I asked them for their nicknames, played a few games with them and kicked their asses. They really liked me afterwards because I was "one of their own" and I have had a student or two like that who instantly started listening to me in other subjects. They started learning more because they wanted to impress me and that was great...

... but try explaining that to a typical soccer mom ;)

Patrol1985 said:

I've never been a politician, but I assume it is. Like it or not, the teacher is always seen as some sort of a moral compass for the children they teach. Even more so in a generation where parents think that it is "the school's duty to bring up their kids".

Naturally, I consider every single parent sharing such an opinion a retard, but I have to play this game. If I consider my kids "normal", I will share a dirty joke or two with them, or occasionally organize a multiplayer game. During my apprenticeship I overheard some pupils talking about Quake Live. I asked them for their nicknames, played a few games with them and kicked their asses. They really liked me afterwards because I was "one of their own" and I have had a student or two like that who instantly started listening to me in other subjects. They started learning more because they wanted to impress me and that was great...

... but try explaining that to a typical soccer mom ;)

That's what I'm referring to when I think it will change my life. What if I want to go out to a club with the guys and some parents see me? Do I really have to take their bullshit? Do I really have to be a moral compass OUTSIDE of school? At the end of the day, why should I? I am human too and the salaries are not good enough to warrant such bullshit.

Unless you're dealing with communists, just do your job, teach pupils English and try and keep them interested. And go to nightclubs (if you want that and don't have to wake up early); minors probably aren't allowed anyway; you are. I imagine the salary will be worse, not your spare time, unless things have changed.

I dunno though the realities of teaching, it seems from my student experience that teachers who can't make the class interested (so students just start fooling around) have a hard time shouting at them to keep quiet. Dunno if they're incapable or the system doesn't let them adapt their teaching.

I'm 25 and ever since I joined the workfield (programming though), things have been awesome. College got replaced by various conferences that I'm regularly attending; networking is great, and begone the feeling of a jobless procrastinating parasite.

printz said:

Unless you're dealing with communists

Most of the older teachers in our country were given communist education and its effects still persist to this day so if I am to become a teacher I am going to have to work with them. When I am referring to lifeless husks, I am mainly referring to them. You know, the kind. The type that is like an annoying grandpa that complains about modern generations but amplified by 11. The salary doesn't make it particularly appealing either...

If any of you Americans are wondering how life here is, it's not bad but it's not great either. A fresh teacher earns 200-250 Euros a month. What a disgrace.

Is there anything else I could do with an English degree? Preferably something that will enable me to have a comfortable life. I don't want to be rich, I just want to play video games and buy a new gaming computer every 3 or 4 years.

Now that adulthood is right in front of me, I find myself a little apprehensive of the future. I've never liked change and now the notion that I might not go to school to learn useless crap anymore is a little strange. I've always clinged to the past and I've always cherished my childhood memories but now I find myself thinking about it twice as much.

DooM_RO said:

Most of the older teachers in our country were given communist education and its effects still persist to this day so if I am to become a teacher I am going to have to work with them. When I am referring to lifeless husks, I am mainly referring to them. You know, the kind. The type that is like an annoying grandpa that complains about modern generations but amplified by 11. The salary doesn't make it particularly appealing either...

If any of you Americans are wondering how life here is, it's not bad but it's not great either. A fresh teacher earns 200-250 Euros a month. What a disgrace.

Is there anything else I could do with an English degree? Preferably something that will enable me to have a comfortable life. I don't want to be rich, I just want to play video games and buy a new gaming computer every 3 or 4 years.

Now that adulthood is right in front of me, I find myself a little apprehensive of the future. I've never liked change and now the notion that I might not go to school to learn useless crap anymore is a little strange. I've always clinged to the past and I've always cherished my childhood memories but now I find myself thinking about it twice as much.

You could come to the usa and get a job writing for games.