Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

J.B.R said:

I've never finished Doom and Doom 2 on Pc.

It's not too late. Not Doom 2, not episode 4, but a good old-fashioned E1-E3 run can be done in an afternoon.

I might actually like Blood more than Doom.

...I'm so terribly sorry. It's just the hitscan enemy behaviour that I find so much better.

I have played through E1-E3 several times, but I never even attempted to play through E4. I just couldn't find the motivation to actually fight my way through E4M1.

The next time I'll play through Doom or DoomII will be on a Pentium 60.
It was the machine on which I first came into contact with the game and at the time, February 1995, the system was nearly optimal for the game. I fondly remember some of my buddies, which were using 386s, coming over for a Doom visit... awesome times were had.

mrthejoshmon said:

Not gonna lie, I'm scared of making big rooms/open areas in Doombuilder.

I also never play DM.

Just like me. I'm quite a detailman and I often refrain from designing big ass rooms, even if they're essential parts of a battle that needs more space to move around, peek, hide and shoot (look at Hadephobia MAP19 & MAP33). I just find that task tiresome, which is a general fault.

The other thing is that I outspokenly prefer playing alone. It doesn't affect only DM, but each and every genre of multiplayer. This is the exact reason why my hatred boils at the force of 1000 suns against mods that are exclusively taylored for multiplayer, including Squadron.wad, which I blindly gave 5 stars before I even read that damn README.txt that clearly says singleplayer is impossible throughout the entire WAD.

Spoiler

I know this goes against many rules, but I might just redo some mods like this to be playable in single, too, and if it's much offensive to publish them like that, I'll do it only for me playing them.

Pretty much once a fortnight I play through the entire shareware episode of Doom. It has become my therapy... Sometimes, if I'm feeling particularly aggrieved by the world, I'll even use Brutal Doom to play it.

fabian said:

I have played through E1-E3 several times, but I never even attempted to play through E4. I just couldn't find the motivation to actually fight my way through E4M1.

It's a weird episode, the start is a lot harder than the later levels. Except then E4M6 is tough too. Maybe pistol start from E4M9 if you want to try it sometime? Or, how about with TNTWEAP9 ;)

CaptainW said:

...I'm so terribly sorry. It's just the hitscan enemy behaviour that I find so much better.

That one is _quite_ remarkable. To me, much of what makes Doom so exceptional is the way you can stand out in the open, dodging the fireballs flung at you... especially when the reflexes are cooperating and you can do it on -fast.

plums said:

It's a weird episode, the start is a lot harder than the later levels. Except then E4M6 is tough too. Maybe pistol start from E4M9 if you want to try it sometime? Or, how about with TNTWEAP9 ;)

Yeah E4 kills me. For a while I had a self-set goal of beating Doom 1&2 all in one playthrough without dying once on UV. E1-E3 I could do, but if I made it through E4M1 and M2 I always died in M6.

I gave up on that goal. I suck.

My new goal is to beat all the stock maps from a pistol start on UV. I keep having to restart TNT because I forget where I'm at when I take breaks from it. In fact I forget where I was last time. TNT Map 01 here I come.

CaptainW said:

I kind of like Blood a little more than Doom.

Sometimes when I play a mod (as regular Doom doesn't really have weapons with a high enough fire rate) I shoot to the rhythm of a bit of a song.

I continuously forget to put in multiplayer aspects (starts, extra enemies/items/weapons) into my maps, I don't really imagine people would play them in multiplayer (if at all) to be honest.

Also, I enjoy using Duke 3D music in Doom and I would sure as hell also use ROTT and Wolf 3D music as well if I could get my hands on them.

mrthejoshmon said:

I continuously forget to put in multiplayer aspects (starts, extra enemies/items/weapons) into my maps, I don't really imagine people would play them in multiplayer (if at all) to be honest.

I see the value in co-op starts, at least for many maps, but I don't know that anyone plays DM in non-DM maps at all. I'd be interested in hearing if this weren't the case.

Also, I enjoy using Duke 3D music in Doom and I would sure as hell also use ROTT and Wolf 3D music as well if I could get my hands on them.

Hell Revealed's music is mostly(?) from ROTT.

plums said:

Hell Revealed's music is mostly(?) from ROTT.

So are the ones of Dimensions of Time. The other half are based on real music tracks, like Song 2 by Blur, Santeria by Sublime, etc.

mrthejoshmon said:

I do forget them on intention. *Laughs manically*

mrthejoshmon said:

for me, it's the opposite. i tend to focus heavily on multiplayer stuff, since i'm not making singleplayer maps anymore. within a layout, i like putting deathmatch starts and all sorts of coop stuff everywhere.

there's a bunch of Wolf3D MIDI's at the Wolf3d Dome, if that's your thing.

I just can't beat that Mother Demon without cheating.
Damn, they really want you to get those Demon Artifacts, don't they?

ROTT music is good but I find it overused in custom wads. It doesn't really fit the Doom atmosphere either, including fast paced slaughter wads.

Avoozl said:

I kind of like Blood a little more than Doom.

Nice to see Blood getting some well deserved appreciation - a true gem and insanely cool in coop.
Both Doom and Blood reign supreme in their own niche.

I have embarrassingly little experience with the bfg and dealing with cyberdemons. I made a few oblige maps with all BFG and scattered cyberdemons in it to test myself and I was really put in my place.

Jaxxoon R said:

I've always found rooms with COMP* walls and blue floors to be strangely comfy and soothing.

This goes for me as well, but extended to a level "COMP* or STONE2/3 or SLAD* or METAL1 and any kind that more or less reminds one of some sort of carpet (CEIL4_1, CEIL4_2, CEIL5_1, FLAT1, FLAT14, FLAT5_3, FLAT5_5, FLAT18, FLAT19, FLOOR1_1, FLOOR1_6, etc.) OR a "lynoleum" type of floor (FLAT5, FLOOR4_8, FLOOR5_1-3). Well, it is that induces my strange kind of mental orgasm or howshallIcallit.

_bruce_ said:

Nice to see Blood getting some well deserved appreciation - a true gem and insanely cool in coop.
Both Doom and Blood reign supreme in their own niche.

Blood is literally the only FPS that, for me, just about matches Doom, and in some ways surpasses it. It's a god damn crying shame it has such a tiny community, as the one mod I played for it was quite good.

I noticed the Blood community got thinned out since 2012; no many new maps, Postmortem seems dead and most of the bloodbathers have disappeared. I'd like to see more interesting addon projects from the community instead of the numerous Blood remake attempts.

The problem with Blood is that the map making utilities are "inferior" to modern tools like Doombuilder which acts as a double whammy against it since making maps for Blood is overall a more complex affair.
Year's ago I've made one map for Blood which is 90% done but ran into the 1024 sector limit.

_bruce_ said:

The problem with Blood is that the map making utilities are "inferior" to modern tools like Doombuilder which acts as a double whammy against it since making maps for Blood is overall a more complex affair.
Year's ago I've made one map for Blood which is 90% done but ran into the 1024 sector limit.

Could you go into a bit more detail? I watched a video of someone using a popular Duke editor, which seemed to have similar functionality to DB2. I'm assuming it's Blood compatible? If not, then I'd like to know why mapping for Blood is so difficult. And 1024 sector limit? Is this something that can't be overridden due to Blood's source code not having been released?