Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Deimos Gate [E2M1]

Vanilla-compatible E2M1 map replacement, made within 4-5 hours. I already did something like this recently, but I'm addicted to DTWID nowadays, and I just simply can't stop thinking about E2 maps.

So it's another attempt for an E2 map, I think it's more successfull. I'm especially proud of partially non-linear gameplay - thanks for helping to approach it, Memfis!

PS.: map is named after the exit (not the last pic!), but it didn't went as well as it might have been.

Download here.

Screenshots:

Ah, my bad, thanks for mentioning! I thought of it, but wasn't sure that it can be an actual issue.

But does the map play well anyway?

Just played through it, had no issues. Felt a little cramped in places and encountered a few slightly misaligned textures but other than that I really liked it. It certainly felt like an E2 style map, if a little short.

Found some minor HoMing in the room you open up when getting the rocket launcher. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl3t33ir71kt2be/HoM.png

Was a fun map, but I did find the textures set used to be a bit incoherent. Felt clashing at times (e.g., that hell-style room next to a crate room). The mazes felt a bit barren - Lost Souls were kind of unresponsive, so it was very easy to traverse them. Overall, the encounters were quite small and easy as well, given the weapons that were made available.

I enjoyed the map overall, but it didn't feel like E2(M1) to me. More like a stand-alone map.

AdamAK: I knew about those missing textures, I was just simply lame to fix them since they are small mistakes.

There weren't any hell-style rooms in this map, I don't prefer using them in this context. Rooms with meat floors are just simply invaded by underground lifeforms in my view.

And yeah, I'm still not good at making E2 maps. Thanks anyway, it was just simply a random map.

Nice speedmap, i was noticing you about the bug that AdamAK found... btw it's a pretty cool map, few misaligniments but it's ok for a speedmap...

Here's an FDA

A few issues:
* Incorrect unpegged flags on the doortracks on the lowering door.
* Getting stuck behind the teleporter is a major problem.
* Missing lower textures in the monster closet after the rocket launcher.
* I'm not a fan of the unmappable maze.
* Cement texture on the stairs leading to the chainsaw looks horribly out of place.

It does feel more like E2 than Flooded Vats, anyway.

If I provide you a map to the maze, then you'd be able to find the secret from the map.

Also, cement stairs are OK for me.

Nice map to play, actually similar to your previous one, but I'd say better. Level structure was OK for E2. Gameplay was simple and not much challenging, but good enough to provide an enjoyable experience. Although I don't see why you didn't learn your lesson about combat in 64-wide corridors, in my opinion it's a dumb challenge to repeat it so often. Regarding detailing (and lighting) - it's good, but I think you still get to learn how to properly add detail not just for the sake of detail, but to well affect gameplay and influence atmosphere in the way you wanted to achieve (in your case it's classic E2 feel).

Katamori said:

If I provide you a map to the maze, then you'd be able to find the secret from the map.

You could have used the "secret" linedef flag to hide such a place, or leave it in to make the secret easier to find. I didn't mind the unmapped maze, though, it was very small.

The secret in the maze has a HOM. The exit switch can be pressed from below, without the bridge raised. :P Other bugs have been already mentioned.

Good job on this map!

scifista42 said:

Nice map to play, actually similar to your previous one, but I'd say better.

Really? I felt it absolutely different.

Gameplay was simple and not much challenging, but good enough to provide an enjoyable experience. Although I don't see why you didn't learn your lesson about combat in 64-wide corridors, in my opinion it's a dumb challenge to repeat it so often.

Ah, thanks, then I could approach my aim. 64-corridor fights are OK if used with Lost Souls and/or Pinkies, I'm totally sure about it. I just like using it, mostly as a placeholder since it can give a good atmosphere as well.

Regarding detailing (and lighting) - it's good, but I think you still get to learn how to properly add detail not just for the sake of detail, but to well affect gameplay and influence atmosphere in the way you wanted to achieve (in your case it's classic E2 feel).

I fail at approaching it not only in this E2-case. I just simply can't see the map itself while I watch the editor and draw the sectors...you know, like when the sculptor sees the sculpture in the marble - I just don't have it.

You could have used the "secret" linedef flag to hide such a place, or leave it in to make the secret easier to find. I didn't mind the unmapped maze, though, it was very small.

I think the same. I didn't want to make the secret too easy though.

The secret in the maze has a HOM.

I know them, they are just mildly insignificant for me.

The exit switch can be pressed from below, without the bridge raised. :P Other bugs have been already mentioned.

Oh no...that's a more serious problem then.

Good job on this map!

Thanks overall, I loved making it.

Katamori said:

Really? I felt it absolutely different.

I meant that your distinct style is very apparent in both maps, and that Deimos Gate is better than Flooded Vats.

The exit - you know, player can press every linedef switch that is located less than 64 units from player's center, completely regardless on vertical position. :P

So you need a 48 units wide ledge at the very least, to prevent the switch being pressed from the bottom of the pit (the remaining 16 units are made by player's width).

Hi Katamori, played this map today, fun classic Doom style if a bit easy. I agree with scifista42 that you have a distinct style that came across in both maps, even if that's just a result of you trying to emulate DTWID or whatever. Anyhow I'd love to see a whole episode like this, are you going to make more?

FDAs: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1281901

I got stuck behind the rising stairs in my first demo (bug that Memfis posted about) so I had to restart. A few more minor bugs: I hit a switch early in the second demo, and some tutti-frutti on some stairs:

Also this lift looks like it would be perfect to use the Doom Alpha lift texture on, just for fun :) (There's a slightly better version in the NOVA 2 texture pack, too lazy to extract right now)

Thanks the demo, the pic, and the kind words, plums!

Possibly I'm gonna make more maps, I really love doing these special things. Somehow I love the "partially invaded rusty base" concept, though I think using skulls, wood and marble within bases like this are out of place.

Also, the "lift" you mention is actually a kind of gate, that releases and/or closes the staircases.