Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Definitive way to play through Doom releases?

But not just the official releases, but semi-official/commercial releases, too. Vanilla mostly.

I have a first draft, so we can start a discussion:

1) The Ultimate Doom
-----------------------
The three original episodes plus the extra from the retail release.

2) Doom: The Lost Episode
--------------------------------
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16291
-5 PSX-Exclusive maps: "The Mansion", "Twilight Descends", "Threshold of Pain", "The Marshes", and "Redemption Denied".
-2 PSX 'remakes': "Spawning Vats" was modified to the point of unrecognizability, and "Hell Keep" was a new map altogether.
-2 scrapped Doom Alpha maps, one modified out the wazoo and one 'finished and extended', essentially.

3) The Lost Episodes of Doom
-----------------------------------
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/The_Lost_Episodes_of_Doom
http://onemandoom.blogspot.gr/2011/06/lost-episodes-of-doom-jptrv40wad.html
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30237
^Updated with MAPINFO
The Lost Episodes of Doom is a collection of three eight-level episodes for Doom by Chris Klie and Bob Carter. It takes place on the Jovian moons Callisto and Io and Jupiter itself. It was a commercial product and was included on a 3.5" floppy disk that was sold with a 246-page book that details the levels. The Book is written by by Jonathan Mendoza with some notes by both map designers.

4) Doom II: Hell on Earth

5) No Rest for the Living

6) Master Levels for Doom II

7) Final Doom

8) Doom 64
Well, in Doom 64 EX...

I could've sworn I remembered reading a story for an episode that took place in the red spot. I guess that's what I was remembering. Funny, I wonder if I ever played those levels.

Zed said:

I just wanted to say that if you are including all commercial releases (that's how I understand it), you're missing Perdition's Gate, Hell to Pay, and Laura Beyer's Doom.

Interesting, will read up on these later.

Face23785 said:

I could've sworn I remembered reading a story for an episode that took place in the red spot. I guess that's what I was remembering. Funny, I wonder if I ever played those levels.

Were you reading The Lost Episodes of Doom book ? :-)

Zed said:

Laura Beyer's Doom

Please, no!

Edit: FWIW, I would put Episode 4 way after Doom 2, even after TNT: Evilution. I would put Perdition's Gate between TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment. Not sure about Hell To Pay, as it is too much a TC already. Not sure about NRFTL, either, it becomes a bit too rough at the end; I would maybe put it just before or after The Plutonia Experiment. Not sure about the Master Levels, either, as I have never considered them a single release, but just a loose collection of maps. Also, I'd rather take "Doom: The Lost Episode" out of this list, IMHO it is just another of these fan-made PWADs made out of modified IWAD content.

Holy mother of jesus you made me click that link.

Oh nooo. HELL NO !!!!

1 - Start in Hangar (E1M1)
2 - Shoot stuff until it dies
3 - ???
4 - PROFIT!!!

Works for me.

fabian said:
IMHO it is just another of these fan-made PWADs made out of modified IWAD content.

But I'd like the exclusive console levels to be in the list. Maybe even the alpha in some form.

Also, why put the ep4 so late?

I'd have sworn this was a Sodaholic thread.

You also have to include all Maximum Doom wads I guess since they were sold. Good luck soldier.

fabian said:

Not sure about Hell To Pay, as it is too much a TC already.

Hell to Pay is in its own "continuity" offshoot, where humans formed a violence-free utopia following Hell on Earth rather than the increased militarization in anticipation of future demonic incursions that you see in most other add-ons. Gameplay-wise, idk where it fits in. Some of those pistol starts are brutal...

Proper order:
1) Ultimate Doom
2) Doom II
3) ???
4) Profit!

I'm sorry I... I'm a little lost here. Aside from playing Doom II after Ultimate Doom, due to the gameplay changes introduced by new weapons and monsters, I'm really not sure what the point of having a proper order is. It's not as if Doom has a strong, ongoing narrative where you're just totally missing out on part of the story if you play the games out of order.

VGA said:

Also, why put the ep4 so late?

I'd try to order the releases by challenge (and I consider Ep4 among the hardest). There is no serious plot interlinking them anyway.

I was trying to order them chronologically mostly. And include all the official, semi-official and reworked maps.

I don't know about the challenge of doom2 since it's been quite a while. And I haven't played Final Doom yet :-)

Ragnor said:

Official? Add Sewers and Betray to the list.

Betray is at least playable. Sewers is bad in the worst kind of ways. :/