Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demonicus666

master levels and no rest for living the *perditions gate hell 2 pay way id did wad??

But... The "master levels" weren't created by id. They were a compilation of levels by various authors. A sort-of "best of", at the time anyways.

I see this "... the way id did" more of a kind of label for recreations of the style the official releases. There is even an "Final Doom the way id did" thread here, while Final Doom isn't created by id too.

So it would be nice to see recreations of these releases too. I'd love too see if the Master Levels would be extended to a complete 32 map Megawad, and a new pack of maps in the NRFTL style would be cool too.

Jokes aside, D!Zone would be a horrible waste of time and Perdition's Gate is in copyright limbo.

cybdmn said:

I see this "... the way id did" more of a kind of label for recreations of the style the official releases. There is even an "Final Doom the way id did" thread here, while Final Doom isn't created by id too.

I understand what you mean, but I still think it should be changed to something like "... the way they did" in cases where the levels weren't actually made by the staff at id. It is a similar enough title that it still sounds connected.

Calling it "... they way id did" still makes it technically incorrect, misleading and would confuse people who are not knowledgeable about Dooms history. I am not against this idea at all, I'm all for it, it's just the title that I don't like.

EDIT: Master Levels were created under contract by id. Perditions Gate and Hell 2 Pay had nothing to do with id at all, so it makes even less sense calling them that.

In that case, why stop there? "Requiem the way id did", "Memento Mori the way id did", "The Darkening the way id did", "Strain the way id did", "Hacx the way id did", etc.

I'm in the process of making an episode faithful to the style of the master levels from PSX Doom. A sequel of sorts. Just over half a year in development so far.

Might not be completely relevant, but it's something.

We are currently working on Doom The Way Id Did: The Lost Episodes The Way 40oz, Alfonzo, C30N9, Captain Toenail, Daimon, Ellmo, Foodles, Hobomaster, Icytux, Lorenzo, Marcaek, Marnetmar, Matt534Dog, Megasphere, MithranDenizen, Mr. Chris, Mr. Freeze, NaturalTvventy, Phobosdeimos1, ShadesMaster, Taedium, Xaser and XenoNemesis Did: The Lost Episodes The Way id Would've Done: The Lost Episodes.

NRFTL TWND (The Way Nerve Did, or alternatively TWTCD The Way The Castle Did) would be something that I would like to see. It would be interesting to play a bunch of maps created in the style of NRFTL and it would also be fun to see how people intemperate The Castle's style.

The Master Levels TWRMD (The Way Random Mappers Did) would be kind of pointless really, The Master Levels are just a collection of random ass maps, you could honestly go and get some random (but good) vanilla wads of off /idgames and put em together to get that same feel of The Master Levels (IMO).

Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay are just a bad idea though, I don't want no ban and you probably don't either.

I do beleive each IWAD/official product should get its own tribute project

The main four are done/being done, leaving Doom 64 (planned) and Master Levels. Master Levels is easy enough in concept, create a bunch of seperate WADs in the style of the Master Level authors (Willits, Anderson, Flynn, Klie, Mustaine and Kvernmo)

Ragnor said:

Who's doing the other 1830 wads on the Master Levels CD?

Funny enough, there was talk of E4 being done in the style of mappers like Mustaine, Flynn, etc. Might be cool I guess, but idk if I'd personally contribute.

GreyGhost said:

Who's doing the other 1830 wads on the Master Levels CD?

Heh, THAT would be just be shoveling as much of idgames onto a disc that can fit, easy.

But I obviously meant only the IWADs and Master Levels (since its 20 PWADs)

In the case of the master levels, provided you're not sticking to author styles you'd basically be saying "make 20 good maps", heh.

CeeJay said:

But... The "master levels" weren't created by id. They were a compilation of levels by various authors. A sort-of "best of", at the time anyways.

But... Final Doom wasn't created by id either. They were a couple of fan-made megawads originally intended to be released for free, until id approached the authors. And yet...

Ragnor said:

The main four are done/being done, leaving Doom 64 (planned) and Master Levels. Master Levels is easy enough in concept, create a bunch of seperate WADs in the style of the Master Level authors (Willits, Anderson, Flynn, Klie, Mustaine and Kvernmo)

The world needs more John W. Anderson style levels.

dobu gabu maru said:

The real question is, when do we get Memento Mori the Way id Did?

And more Memento Mori style levels.

NiGHTMARE said:

But... Final Doom wasn't created by id either. They were a couple of fan-made megawads originally intended to be released for free, until id approached the authors. And yet...

Yeah, I know. And I know of all the backlash and controversy that followed in its wake. I have just as much problem with the title for that too.

Heretic the way Raven did for president

Strife the way Rogue did for VP

CeeJay said:

Here: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II

I would personally love to see these re-made or re-imagined. But calling it "Master Levels the way id did" is just wrong and disrespectful towards the actual authors.

EDIT: Could call it "Master Levels they way THEY did"

I have to agree with this.

Call it re-made or re-imagined or re-do or 2014 or the way they did or almost anything that hints at made in the style of.

out now: "DOOM the way id did the way they did"

coming soon, the highly anticipated sequel: "DOOM 3 the way id would have done back when id did DOOM"