Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Did You Know Gaming - Doom Edition

DYKG posted a brand new video about Doom, so I thought I'd share it. I think I knew most everything in the video, but it's fun nonetheless.

I like how the video is dynamic and gives a good impression that Doom is fun to play. Overally it's well done either for a Doomer or a non-Doomer, IMO. It states some interesting trivia, too.

The guy who made the gameplay vid sucks at the game. (Using SSG on a single Zombieman from like, 20 meters?) :/

mallo said:

The guy who made the gameplay vid sucks at the game. (Using SSG on a single Zombieman from like, 20 meters?) :/

So? He seems to enjoy it and that's all that counts. Furthermore, he promotes my favorite game by releasing such videos as the one posted, so he's ok in my book.

mallo said:

At least he was somewhat creative with the level -and room choices displayed in the vid. Not the typical sluggish gameplay shown in E1M1/MAP01 all over again.

Jeez, there are like a million n00bs hounding Carmack in the comments section, even some saying he's a "total dumbass" and shit like that, solely for an old quote saying storyline wasn't important in a game. Comments spoken like true retards. Yeah, The grandfather of 3D gaming knows "nothin about video games"... sheesh. Dipshits, I tell ya.

Doomkid said:

Jeez, there are like a million n00bs hounding Carmack in the comments section, even some saying he's a "total dumbass" and shit like that, solely for an old quote saying storyline wasn't important in a game.

Well, what'd 'ya expect?

This is YouTube.

You know how dumb the comments sections are.

That video is great. It gives a nice overview over the game itself and the myths/trivia surrounding it. I would immediately recommend it to anyone who has never heard of the game at all.

Only thing I didnt know already, was the very last bit with the Doom 3 pentagrams. Pretty cool video though

I'm pretty sure it's because most of what's known about Classic Doom comes from interviews and letters, and all everyone asks about is Classic Doom. There's also the fact that Romero's usually the one people get inside info from, and he left far before Doom 3 even began.

Guest Unregistered account

I love how the Doom title music at the start has part of the music from the first demo at the end.

Still a good video!

I knew some of the music in the games was inspired by metal, but I never really was able to pick out any specific tracks before (Though isn't there song inspired by Master of Puppets?), so those comparisons were cool. Otherwise I knew most of the rest.

Crasger said:

I've noticed there's fewer pieces of trivia about Doom 3.

Why's that?

It is an inferior game, not nearly as iconic as its precursors, and the devoted fanbase died off after about 5+ years. Now it is a footnote, an afterthought which helps get new players introduced to the classic IWADs.

Clonehunter said:

(Though isn't there song inspired by Master of Puppets?)

E1M1 doom.wad a bit?

I never watched this video before until now but I found myself literally iterating each fact a few words in perfectly in sync with the narrator as he was saying them. I'm a sad human being.

I just watched this today too, it was interesting and fun to watch. Pentagram trivia was especially cool.

Never heard of the series before (other than pictures) but I'll be watching other eps.

But they left out the "This Love" by Pantera comparison for Waiting for Romero to Play! It's like the best track in the entire series (for me)!

mallo said:

Would you rather him do a Tyson speed run instead?

Clonehunter said:

Thought so, although I was also thinking E3M8.

In the spirit of your contribution, I have to agree, after all E3M8's soundtrack is truly quite a set-piece by itself.

They pretty much did a video version of all the stuff they've posted related about Doom so far in images, and they did the respective research on the aspect, so it's ok for me.

Yes, I know, how the fuck they missed the band that literally gave most "inspiration" to Bobby. But hey, it's a cool video for those who have never, ever heard about the game, so let's appreciate it for what it is.

Wow, and here I thought I already knew every little bit of Doom trivia. That was a fascinating watch, possibly the only Doom video I've ever enjoyed from a popular Youtube channel.

it was a pretty interesting video, even though most of the facts i was already aware of (the Doom Bible and Tom Hall being kicked out, Carmack programming the Doom engine while the others worked on Spear of Destiny, chord-progressions taken from popular music...)

i don't think i've heard of that quote from Carmack though, heh. maybe it was more relevant back then, because nowadays all games seems to be toting a great story as one of their main features

Doomhuntress said:

it was a pretty interesting video, even though most of the facts i was already aware of (the Doom Bible and Tom Hall being kicked out, Carmack programming the Doom engine while the others worked on Spear of Destiny, chord-progressions taken from popular music...)

i don't think i've heard of that quote from Carmack though, heh. maybe it was more relevant back then, because nowadays all games seems to be toting a great story as one of their main features

Funny thing is, I remember the quote clearly, though I have less recollection of when I heard it. It really wasn't more relevant back then. Even at the time he was just being dumb and thickheaded - and it was already well-known that story was going to become an ever-more important part of gaming.

Why not go to doom wikia instead? They could just say "Go to *DoomWikia adress* and BTW Doom is fun and you all should play it not for the beauty or the cosmetic wuss stuff TF2 has, but for the gameplay.

joe-ilya said:

Why not go to doom wikia instead?

You meant to say doomwiki.org, right?

Right?