Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geo

$30 Wolfenstien New Order on Steam Sale

Sorry to sound like an ad, but with Steam sale here, the newest iD game is on sale for $30. While some may rejoice, I see it as a big fuck you to anyone that bought the game for $60 less than a month ago. This isn't the first time Steam has done this. BioShock Infinite and Borderlands 2 come to mind with 50% off sales with $60 games less than a month old.

Such as the X-Box One now having a $100 price drop within 6+ months of release. Even if it doesn't have Kinnect, its still a big drop within a year. But that is a drop and not a sale.

Any thoughts or opinions? I could just be cranky.

Never buy a game right away unless you value the social experience around it more than the money you'd save (or you want to support the developers, or you feel waiting for a deal is a hassle, w/e).

Not only this isn't the first time Steam has done this - this is standard procedure. Almost all games get discounts within weeks post-release, and within a year you're almost guaranteed to see a -75% deal.

Not exclusive to Steam either, you can get even better deals elsewhere. I got Dead Space 3 for 1 dollar in August 2013 (along with Dead Space and Medal of Honor, in a bundle), the game was released in February 2013.

What Phml said.

This happens all the time and you noticed it yourself. If you absolutely positively HAVE TO get it the first day it gets released then pay the full price. Otherwise, show a little patience and a discount will pop up.

I still won't get it though yet. Why? Because Quakecon is in a few weeks and I expect the game to be discounted again by at least that much and perhaps more ;)

geo said:

I could just be cranky.

That, and you should know better. But besides, if the game's good enough it should be worth full price anyway, and any discount is just a bonus. From what I've seen of W:TNO it looks like it is worth it. Machinegames is composed of mostly ex-Starbreeze devs, who made the Riddick games, the first The Darkness, and Payday 2 which were all pretty damn decent.

I dont buy anything full price or half price. Itll 2.50 in Russia soon enough.

geo said:

I dont buy anything full price or half price. Itll 2.50 in Russia soon enough.

I live in Eastern Europe too so I know how you feel but I really wanted this on release day and I really wanted dat Doom beta.

DooM_RO said:

I live in Eastern Europe too so I know how you feel but I really wanted this on release day and I really wanted dat Doom beta.

I don't know about other countries, but here (Poland) local retailers still sell versions containing Doom beta keys. Preordering wasn't necessary.

It's also completely up to the developers how much/when to have the game discounted. If it's 50% off during the sale (and I believe it's only 50% during the special promotions), it's because the developers wanted it to be. Many games, like Rust, Day Z, and Shovel Knight, haven't been discounted at all during the sale (and are selling extremely well despite that).

EDIT: Also, this thread just caused me to pick it up. <3

Patrol1985 said:

I don't know about other countries, but here (Poland) local retailers still sell versions containing Doom beta keys. Preordering wasn't necessary.

Yeah they probably won't open boxes to take them out. Although our GameStops here will open new games and take shit out.

Looks like the game got a bump in sales and plays: http://www.steamcharts.com/app/201810#All

But not as drastic of a bump as I'd hope.

That chart only shows simultaneous players. A lot of people buy multiple games during the sales, and don't necessarily play them right away. Plus, as a single player game, the people who previously played through the game and are mostly done with it aren't going to have any impact on that chart. Those charts don't do single player games justice.

The game was already selling quite well and was the #1 selling game on Steam for the past few days - time where people do tons of buying. I'm sure it's doing just fine.

With the carts you can usually take the big peaks and multiply it by six to calculate sales. Even though there are plenty of people that buy copies just to sell them and people that play offline.

For non Steam sales, there's always: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=wolfenstein%3A+the+new+order&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200 1 million copies.

I definitely call bullshit on that one. I doubt it's accurate in the case of Wolf, and it's definitely not accurate in the case of Wrack. There are TONS of factors that go how many people are playing a game at once: genre, single/multiplayer, built up anticipation, the amount of other things going on, Steam marketplace bullshit, etc.

I know you guys don't have much to go on as far as sales figures go, but trying to go by these charts is just grasping at straws.

I concede to your wisdom Carn. Anyway $60 to $30 within a month even if its a temporary sale.

Well, I sprung for it when it was at half price and have given it a go... This is an excellent game! 4 clear styles of play open, or you can mix and match, plus plenty to find in the multi-path level I've played so far. What's amazed me is that, despite the incredibly high recommended requirements, my 2.80GHz 760 i5, 4GB RAM and r9 270x do let me play at top specs with a framerate I can work with, although I've gone for smoothness and speed by dialing back settings a little. If any bigger views or more complex areas come up I might have to do further, but 20-30FPS is plenty for me!

Archi said:

VGchartz, if I'm not mistaken, represents retail sales only.

Btw, I've looked into ingame statistics and there was about 180k players before any discounts and 230k when sale with 50% discount ended.

Yes it represents non Steam. I should have refereed to non virtual sales.

I picked up all the Saints Row games in the summer sale, but due to work and other things that go with being a now older gamer I forgot to check on other days and missed this one.

I usually always use up vacation time around Xmas and it's kinda hard-wired into my brain to not spend too much on games until the holiday sale - then I have a bit of a splurge - if you can wait this long - this. I will probably wait for then for Wolf now.