Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Tall textures in vanilla

I've made some 255 units tall textures, composed of multiple patches that are overlapping each other. Some time ago I've read somewhere that 255 units is a maximum texture height allowing to display it properly in vanilla, but I'm not sure about it and cannot find info on the wiki.

Note that I DON'T want the texture to tile, I'll always use it on less than 256 units tall walls, and never on a 2-sided line as a midtexture.

In these circumstances, I've expected the texture to simply display (not tile) properly in Chocolate Doom. But it doesn't even display properly. After 128 pixels, it starts to tile like if the texture was 128 units tall, but that shouldn't have happened.

Can vanilla textures actually be taller than 128 units if I don't want them to tile, just display right when used on a wall taller than 128 but shorter than 256?

Pretty sure that 128px is the maximum height for vanilla textures. That's what the unofficial doom specs say, anyhow.

Best way to fake it is with a 0-height sector so you can use both the upper and lower textures, though you probably know this already.

Okay, thanks (yes, I know the trick). And as I've learned, it was actually Boom with the 255 units limit I was talking about. I've got the information from esselfortium's post here.

My intention was to make a texture pack with taller textures, I'll have to keep it 128 units then, or recommend Boom.

I always recalled that textures couldn't be taller than 128 in DooM.

I used to get 384 unit tall textures by combining three 128 unit tall textures, one on the upper, one on the lower, and one as a transparant middle texture on a one unit thick sector so bullet hits would appear to me hitting the texture rather than disappearing behind.

This trick works in vanilla DooM and all source ports.

Well, if you need really tall textures, you can stack multiple 2s linedefs on top of each other, and use offsets to set the position of midtextures, and get things as high as you want. DB makes working with stacked linedefs a little tricky though.

Basically you put down several 2-sided linedefs that occupy the exact same spot and have the same sector references.

It's maybe a bit unfair to blame DoomBuilder, since it works well enough for this trick as long as "merge geometry" stays off, which is basically how older editors operate all the time. With merge geometry on though, it's quite likely that your stacked linedefs will get merged into one. One thing DB does lack compared to older editors is a way to go to next/previous linedefs in numeric order, and to renumber items manually. Normally not needed but useful for things like this.