Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Finally!! Something positive about the gaming-industry

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_jenkins060702.asp

Finally, after: Columbine, Erfurt, a couple of other schoolshootings, Bomberman being blamed for the suicide of a Japanese girl and a couple of other cases 'related' to the gaming-industry something positive rises to the dark surface.
Just follow the link.
To make you guys actually click the link, here's an interesting quote:

In an important new book, Killing Monsters, Gerard Jones investigates the meaningfulness of violent entertainment. Jones did what Limbaugh didn't: played the games and talked with gamers. In a chapter focused on "shooters," Jones concludes, "video games are most threatening to adults who have seen images of them but never play them…In just a few minutes of play, I saw that the whole point of the game is suspense: 'I' was in constant danger and had to battle through overwhelming odds to survive." The experience of playing shooters, he argues, has more to do with overcoming obstacles, mastering fears, and taking risks than any fantasy of harming others.

That's right. If it weren't for DooM, i would have got eaten by that cacodemon that floated past my flat last week asking for a cup of sugar.

darknation:

That article was written by Captain Obvious.

Obvious to us YES, but not to the millions of Oprah-Whinfrey/Dr.Phil-freaks! We need more people to spread the word: games don`t kill;
trench-coats don`t kill;
people kill!

I know, I know that was pretty obvious...

m0l0t0v said:

darknation: Obvious to us YES, but not to the millions of Oprah-Whinfrey/Dr.Phil-freaks! We need more people to spread the word: games don`t kill;
trench-coats don`t kill;
people kill!

HELL YES TO THAT!!! Oh, wait. you left out another thing.

BULLIES KILL!!! (make their tormentee kill)

This Gerard Jones guy deserves a medal of some sort :-)

Everyone knows that people with guns don't kill, not even the gun itself kills...its those damn bullets.

fodders said:

It's actually the people not getting out of the way quick enough

I'd like to see you run at 80 mph :-)

Positive for gamers? No, the death of all the idiotic soccer-moms and unintelligent "jump on the bandwagon because I don't know or want to know any better" types die in screaming agony prolonged over several hours would be positive for gamers.

fodders:

It's actually the people not getting out of the way quick enough

If the people getting shot are the killers, then what are the people firing the guns called?
Killerees?

m0l0t0v said:

If the people getting shot are the killers, then what are the people firing the guns called?

It's singular, and we call him Fodders.

Actually, teen violence is at an all time low. Just the adult created weapons and media make it easier to do more damage and be recognized around the world for it....

darknation said:

Cliché Kills

Oh yeah, those kill too. In fact, i'd say that next to bullying, they are the number one killers of teens in america, or perhaps the world.

And the girl who killed herself wasn't japanese. I think she was either indian or philipine.

dsm said:

I'd like to see you run at 80 mph :-)

/me opens up Doom.exe

"Finally, after: Columbine"

It still hasn't ended. :: sob ::
Wasn't the Roughborough kid victim's dad still wanting to know if his son was killed by a cop?