Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't know about you guys, but I've always been a big fan of the AvP series. Mostly 1 for the skrimish mode. Nothing like coop against acid bleeding aliens. AvP 2 had awesome multiplayer. But I've been wondering since the source code of AvP 1 is available how come no one has made a source port? That game is a fucking classic, and I could easily see a good community evolving around a quality source port(s) like the Doom community have produced.

What do you guys think?

I assume you mean the one from 1999 (developed by Rebellion)?

I bought it a few days ago on Steam as it was discounted. I will check it out soon.

The Steam executable more or less is basically a source port - well, without the source code released, but it's the original game, optimized for modern systems. Honestly, I just can't get into AvP these days the way I did when it came out. No offense, but that is a game that did not age well. The controls are a bit slippery and often the level design doesn't so much feel like an actual place as it does like a maze with Aliens-style wallpaper. Personally, my favorite of the series was always AvP 2, but I lost my discs and I don't even know if it works on modern operating systems and I don't think it ever had a modern touch-up the way the original did.

I would certainly love to see an AvP modding community rise up, that is similar to the Doom modding community. Especially since so many official releases were fumbled.

Used to absolutely love multiplayer AvP II. I was usually the Runner, but sometimes switched to Praetorian on maps with lots of enclosed areas where being able to pounce didn't have any real advantage.

AvP2 multiplayer had too much people moaning about the weapons, and then banning half of them. When I was the Aliens, I was the Drone and never pounced after I had noticed how dumb easy it was. For me it was just the basic jumps, claws, tail and the occassional head bite. Sometimes I was the Praetorian, or Queen if the server had the settings and I got enough kills. Life cycle facesuckercheeseburger servers sucked.

I kinda get the feeling they didn't bother with much playtesting on the multiplayer. The weapons also had really wacky damage, at least against the humans. You could one hit decapitate a human with the knife, who has 100hp and 200ap.. or you might only do 1 point damage.

I've only played the Alien missions and the skirmish mode in AvP1.

Now I don't play them anymore. I'd only play it for the multiplayer, but that's pretty dead with just a few servers somewhere too far away.

Patrol1985 said:

I assume you mean the one from 1999 (developed by Rebellion)?

I bought it a few days ago on Steam as it was discounted. I will check it out soon.

That's what I did, too. Dropped in some high resolution textures, and man... just as fun as I remember it back in the day.

Regarding the balance in multiplayer, is it just me, or did the people playing as Predators and Aliens generally gang up on the Humans? I didn't play as the Predator very often, but I know the Humans were generally alot easier to nail with the speargun than the Aliens were.

AvP 2010 kinda sucked since they did those death moves or what ever, felt too consolish. I'm really glad they brought AvP 1 to steam, I've been playing the crap outta it. Wish they'd bring AvP 2 to Steam as well. I was thinking last night all the cool features that could be added to AvP 1 with a proper source port. So many different cool things could be created that could probably surpass AvP 2 with the proper handling, imo, and a community around it.

@yukib1t: Did you use the Redux mod for higher-res textures?

AvP 2010 was awesome. I'm glad somebody pointed it out to me.

AvP 1 was interesting. The way the aliens tended to sneak up behind me was about as scary as games got at the time. The weird coloured lighting gave it an odd atmosphere that reminded me of comic books somehow. The level design could have been better in most cases, but I had fun.

I really need to get back into AvP 2010... but yeah, besides the finishers, the controls themselves also felt a little... well... consoleish, for lack of a better word. Like, even with keyboard and mouse, the feel is just off a little, slow just a little, like I'm pressing a joystick not moving a mouse.

Oh, and I would friggin' LOVE for AvP 2 to be brought back. What's the deal, a licensing issue or something?

I don't know, I'm downloading Redux now. I think the company that made AvP2 went out of buisness and Timewarner owns the rights or something. So it seems to be stuck in limbo.

Edit: Redux is an awesome mod.