Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marxr

Mapping for Wolfenstein 3d

So I was wondering how one would make custom maps for wolf 3d and play them, are there only these old as f*ck programs available or has someone made something more modern? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks i'll try this out, yesterday i got my hands on mapedit 8.4 through dosbox, didn't seem too hard despite being "old as f*ck".

EDIT: Seems like wdc is like slade for wolf3d, dosen't seem to feature map editing or am i missing something? Seems like i have to go with mapedit after all.

Superluigieth1 said:

Chaos Edit for Wolf 3D mapping!

hmm can't seem to find chaosedit anywhere, i'll go with wdc for now. Also do I need to use vanilla wolf3d for playing or are there any stable source ports available?

I think Wolf 3D has an interesting sound system, much more complex than Doom with its block sound lines. So make sure to look that up before you start mapping.

I have some guide here i'm reading right now and i have also found tutorials around the net, i hope that will get me started, after all wolf3d mapping should be easier than doom's right?

WDC features map editing, and resource editing, like slade. And compared to Doom, mapping for wolf3d is way easier. You have to point out where is the wolf3d installation in WDC in preferences.

Solid Snake said:

hmm can't seem to find chaosedit anywhere, i'll go with wdc for now. Also do I need to use vanilla wolf3d for playing or are there any stable source ports available?

There's ecwolf which seems to be the only wolf3d port that's being worked on currently. If not, wdc supports vanilla wolf3d too.

Thanks, well for testing i think i have to make a batch file then because i need to run wolf3d through dosbox, dosen't work otherwise. BTW how do i start a new map from scratch, right now it only let's me edit original wolf3d maps.

Solid Snake said:

Thanks, well for testing i think i have to make a batch file then because i need to run wolf3d through dosbox, dosen't work otherwise. BTW how do i start a new map from scratch, right now it only let's me edit original wolf3d maps.

You could just edit that map, delete it completely with the delete tool or just select Remove the chunk in the import/export menu option.

But when i delete everything in map and start making my own, in game it replaces the original map and i don't have the normal game anymore. Is this something that can't be changed?

Pretty weird system. So when I want to distribute my map i have to give out the full map file with other wolf3d maps aswell despite having only one map in there? Is this even allowed?

Solid Snake said:

Pretty weird system.

Not when you consider that Wolf3D was not designed to run mods. They didn't even bother to add support for anything when the Spear of Destiny mission packs were made.

Yes, you need to give a full map file, but you can clear the maps you're not using. Some of the editors have a function to make a clean gamemaps file.

Or you can make your levels for ECWolf which has support for mods and can load maps individually in WAD files. Just need to export in WDC's format and import it as a PLANES lump and then stick an empty lump above it named MAPxx.

k den. I still plan on making a map for vanilla wolf so you know any editors which can delete not needed maps in gamemaps file? Or does it even matter, the file is like 140kb. I could just insert endgame trigger and thats it.

Why is that a problem? Doom wads that replace map01 usually just exit to map02 and nobody thinks twice about it.

Well see the problem is when making a map for wolf i have to edit the orginal gamemaps file, making a new map from scratch requires deleting say first map in editor and making a new map there, but, when playing the game you don't have the original floor 1 anymore and your also stuck with remaining wolf3d levels when you want to distribute your map, and the only way to do that is to share the full gamemaps file. with doom it's easy, just make map01 with db and thats it, you have map01, 1 map and your not stuck with the whole mapset, when finishing that map you go to map02 yes but thats already contained in the doom2 iwad, thats why your map01 replacement is called a patch wad (just sayin, not considering you stupid or anything), easy to distribute and so forth. Also when people want to play the floor 1 replacement for wolf im going to make, they have to replace their gamemaps file from their wolf folder with mine which is pretty inconvenient. Hope all that makes sense.

Well you have to replace the gamemaps file anyway and theres no much point to delete the remaining maps in there. Sorry for my long pointless post.

Already started making my first map. I decided to go with mapedit 8.4 since i like it oldskool and it's a pretty good editor. I can't believe how easy it is, just draw some shit and throw in objects, also seems like i have the natural skillz to set up enemy patrol routes, im making a really sneaky map where there's a possibility to kill everyone with the knife with right timing. Sorry for triple posting.

The thing that was interesting about Wolf3D mapping was the floor codes. Have two rooms on opposite sides of the share one and you can have guys that come looking for you. Of course, Wolf3D has boring AI, so they probably make a beeline for you and shoot you right in the face when you open a door.

I still don't get that one, are the floor codes these floor things in the editor under map section? Or what are they excactly? Anyway the map is coming along nicely already probably 50% done in maybe over 1 hour i think being a doom mapper boosts my ability in making maps for wolf significantly. And since mapping for wolf is pretty easy i think ill make like 5 maps and then share them in the forums, i doubt anyone would want to go through all that file replacement and dosbox hassle just to play floor 1 replacement.

Solid Snake said:

hmm can't seem to find chaosedit anywhere, i'll go with wdc for now.

The downloads seem to have all but disappeared from the Web, here's a copy of v1.27 from my personal archives.