Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

A good STBAR and Doomguy face replacement?

Does anybody know where I could find a cooler looking STBAR than the default, grey one? I'm willing to rip one out of a WAD I suppose. Also a new Doomguy face would be nice too. Preferably for the GZDoom source port. Thanks.

Making your own status bar can actually be pretty fun. What I do is just find a texture I like, and overlay the border from the classic bar. I hope that makes sense, if not, I can give a screenshot. You can make any texture in to a status bar this way.

Doomkid said:

Making your own status bar can actually be pretty fun. What I do is just find a texture I like, and overlay the border from the classic bar. I hope that makes sense, if not, I can give a screenshot. You can make any texture in to a status bar this way.

Agreed. As for Doomguy face replacements, there's a decent one used in Beyond Reality that Vader made a while ago.

Doomkid said:

The HUD from Doom0 is an example, even if it's an unfinished megawad though.

I've been toying with the idea of a gender/species-neutral status bar face. It's essentially a bunch of arrows that light up to indicate from where damage comes from, with the color of the light depending on health.

I'd also replace the OOF, pain, noway, and death sounds with footsteps, bone cracking, scraping, and thudding sounds respectively.

STRAIN did a good job of making a gender-neutral face: it's basically a virtual skull that changes colour depending on the amount of damage taken.

Never liked the Strain one: too hard to tell how hurt you are, which makes dying easier.

I don't use the classic status bar, it takes up too much space. GZDOOM alternative HUD is all I need.

bone cracking

Given the number of times you get hurt in the average Doom level... Yuck. Cool idea, though.

Canofbacon said:

Does anybody know where I could find a cooler looking STBAR than the default, grey one? Also a new Doomguy face would be nice too. Preferably for the GZDoom source port. Thanks.

For what purpose, again?

Phml said:

Given the number of times you get hurt in the average Doom level... Yuck. Cool idea, though.

I get a laugh every time I fall from a high ledge in Quake and hear the player's legs break.

IMX said:

For what purpose, again?

I'm making a mod (that I do not plan to release) that basically combines all my favorite modifications for Doom. I wanted a different STBAR and Doomguy face for it. Right now I currently have some random STBAR that I don't know the name of and the Doomguy face from Pirate Doom.