Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Impie

DB2: Texture Alignment and Sector Glowing

I have trouble with these when designing maps in Doom Builder 2 and often wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Texture Alignment: When I, say, create a window, I'm only able to align the upper or lower linedef with the surrounding linedefs. One always remains misaligned unless I make the window the same size as the wall texture itself (i.e. 128x128 window on a wall of 128x128 textures). Is this normal? or is there a DB2 function I've overlooked?

Sector Glows +1 (sector special effect): Never understood how to make this work at all. Do I have to make the sector brightness a specific value?

Enable upper and lower unpegged on the window linedef. On a 2-sided line (i.e. one bordering sectors on both sides, rather than bordering void), this will cause it to be vertically aligned from the ceiling down, the same way that textures are drawn on 1-sided lines. This should allow you to use the same Y-alignment value as the adjacent lines, and have it match up seamlessly.

In 3D mode, you can do this quickly by pressing U and L to toggle upper and lower unpegged.

The sector glow special requires that the sector in question be at least 32 units brighter than one of its adjacent sectors.

1. Use both Upper Unpegged and Lower Unpegged linedef flags on the wall. ;) Here is an elaborate explanation how the flags work, but you'll best understand it by seeing it in the editor.

2. The sector with glowing effect will be changing brightness between two values: The sector's own initial brightness, and the darkest neighboring sector's brightness. So, in order to make the effect work, you need to have a neighboring sector darker than the sector with glowing effect.

EDIT: OK, so I was ninjaed.

For reference, neither of these problems have anything to do with Doom Builder 2 itself, and the solution is the same regardless of which editor you're using. You may want to check out the Unofficial Doom Specs (a very old resource, but still relevant), which contains detailed information on (among other things) all linedef and sector properties.

scifista42 said:

1. Use both Upper Unpegged and Lower Unpegged linedef flags on the wall.

It never even occurred to me that both could be toggled at the same time...

esselfortium said:

The sector glow special requires that the sector in question be at least 32 units brighter than one of its adjacent sectors.

I really wish the help file mentioned this. If it does, I'll be damned if I know where to find it...

Thanks guys!

Also worth noting the speed of the glow effect depends on how much darker the adjacent sector is. If there aren't any darker sectors adjacent (or they aren't dark enough) then you can make a dummy sector outside the map and join it with your glowing sector, then put a dark sector next to the dummy.