Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Zombierifle

I made a first-person sprite for the zombierifle, and would like to test it in-game. I guess the easiest way to do this would be to replace the pistol's default frame, PISGA0. However, when I attempt to load a wad with this graphic replaced, I see no results upon loading a map with the zombierifle wad appended. Anyone have advice/experience to share, for a Doom weapons-replacement/addition n00b? This is what the wad looks like in SLADE.

EDIT: typo, +downloadable wad file for Zombierifle found 5 posts down.

TimeOfDeath said:

Looks like you're missing the SS_START and SS_END markers.

Thank you. Its the little things.

The sprite looks good in its simplicity, it might work for a weapon which is supposed to be very basic. You might be interested that similar sprites (even fully functional weapons) are available on Realm667 repository here and here (I personally prefer the latter one).

scifista42 said:

The sprite looks good in its simplicity, it might work for a weapon which is supposed to be very basic. You might be interested that similar sprites (even fully functional weapons) are available on Realm667 repository here and here (I personally prefer the latter one).

Playbalance-wise Zombierifle is currently thought of as just a slightly more powerful version of the pistol, but reload and semi-automatic mode would be great additions, if I ever get to a point where actually implementing the thing into a map becomes an option.

Zombierifle Version 1.0, done - the file's at the bottom of the linked post. This wad is just a graphics replacement for the pistol, but could grow into something more. I can make the graphics for isometric reload frames, but need someone in the know to piece the new frames (2-3) and functionality ("semi-auto" rapid-click fire with reload playing automatically every 12 shots) together. If there's interested parties that get in touch, I'll cook up the new graphics...

Sorry for the double-post btw, I figured the download might warrant the bump, instead of editing on an existing post.

The big gunshot flash is covering a significant part of the screen, so much that I find it a problem (or a little uncomfortable, at least). Overally it's not a particularly impressive weapon, but does its job well, seems like it would work for something like a "zombieman" themed wad.

I guess I might have had this image in mind. It left an impression when I was younger. Whenever I saw another movie with muzzel-flashes, they always failed to impress, after having seen Tony Montana's BFG of a rifle. Anyway, Zombierifle is and always will be a bottomfeeding scumsucker of a gun, not a BFG competitor. Something to whet your appetite until something like a shotgun shows up on the radar. However, it should if carried out properly, be the only gun who might let you accelerate the rate of damage away from a steady pulse, for those back-against-the-wall scenarios, where sitting idly waiting for long reload times seems counter productive to staying alive, for the average space marine. You know, when demons are already chewing on you, you just missed your last supershotgun shot, and the health is counting down into the lower half of double digits.