Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

So what's a Terry wad?

Generally they involve scripted "rape traps" where the player is playing what appears to be a normal map, then is suddenly teleported and surrounded by pictures/images (often of Carnevil) and has a very loud, obnoxious sound blasted through their speakers, AKA ear rape. Occasionally, they're more malicious, and fuck with your keybinds/player setup. This is the most basic formula for a Terrywad.

Protip: Terrywads don't run in vanilla (although the concept would still be easy enough to execute)

Doomkid said:

Protip: Terrywads don't run in vanilla (although the concept would still be easy enough to execute)

You're partially correct. Yes you cannot use scripting in vanilla Doom (by this I mean ACS) however, there is one Terry wad that is made within vanilla constraints which so happens to be the sequel to a map named "Water Refinery".

That makes me curious. I know it's probably possible to make a wad file that will cause a venetian blind crash on an old DOS machine, there for leaving the computer unusable until you reboot it. Is it possible to construct a wad that can cause permanent damage to a computer, through some sort of exploit in Doom (like some sort of extreme array overflow?)

Wagi said:

That makes me curious. I know it's probably possible to make a wad file that will cause a venetian blind crash on an old DOS machine, there for leaving the computer unusable until you reboot it. Is it possible to construct a wad that can cause permanent damage to a computer, through some sort of exploit in Doom (like some sort of extreme array overflow?)

Lets not get into that.

Terry wads are entertaining wads that almost always include the Carnevil face, earrape, and always look promising. Also anything made by terry and his 'minions'.

Wagi said:

That makes me curious. I know it's probably possible to make a wad file that will cause a venetian blind crash on an old DOS machine, there for leaving the computer unusable until you reboot it.

It's not just possible, it's trivial: a boss shooter and no spawn spots is all it takes. But a Venetian blind crash doesn't require a reboot: all it does is exit to DOS without resetting the video mode, thus causing the graphical corruption (the DOS prompt is actually visible behind the "blinds"). Anything that properly sets the video mode (including simply restarting Doom) will fix it.

Wagi said:

Is it possible to construct a wad that can cause permanent damage to a computer, through some sort of exploit in Doom (like some sort of extreme array overflow?)

Extremely unlikely. DOS may not have proper memory protection, but DOS/4GW (which Doom uses) does. That's why it's called "Protected Mode". Though, I've never actually seen Doom produce a DOS/4GW exception (the so-called "granular limit error") on an actual DOS machine, only on DOSBox.

They're WADs that usually look promising, but then they screw you over with a trap that usually makes the WAD unbeatable. It also has dumbass rape references as well as loud and obnoxious sounds as they throw you around the room.

Looks like a masterpiece of mapping until you walk over a certain line or try to open a door. Then it happens - dumb homosexual text begins to fill your screen, loud and ugly noises tear into your eardrums and a wild, uninterpretable scenario comes to your sight, usually including harsh strobing lights, intense colour changes and various pictures of "Somemong" (Carnevil), toon figures, poor sketches and/or ugly people and funny (or at least meant to be) pictures from all over the Internet. Many of them also include Arch-Viles set up in a nonsense room shaped like a penis. The words "cum", "ass" and "faggot" are obligatory ones in the script text!

Oh, and also don't forget a couple of custom sprites which also base on random Internet pictures, many (if not all) of them not even given a proper animation, thus resulting in enemies that look like sidewalking rectangles and usually fire overpowered attacks (Mancubus flames, Revenant rockets, multiple Baron shots or even railgun projectiles and BFG shots). Either this, or they just come close and bite you to your death (many times they're able to do this whilst you're in GM).

I don't get it. Why would so much effort be expended into crafting such a piece of shit? Is the petty joy of knowing that people get trolled some high point of a Terry mapper's week or something? The fuck?

GoatLord said:

I don't get it. Why would so much effort be expended into crafting such a piece of shit? Is the petty joy of knowing that people get trolled some high point of a Terry mapper's week or something? The fuck?

Exactly. Folks like Terry are masturbating on others being upset like so, and they're living all their pleasure out whilst expressing their acute homosexuality this way, since they're happy many and many people are getting to know about this sooner or later.

Just another term for annoyingly stupid WAD. These change from time to time. 15 years ago it would've been a "WOW.WAD". 10 years ago it would have been a Gamarra WAD. Then a funduke WAD (though he didn't really make them, he just republished old, crappy ones).

Maes said:

Just another term for annoyingly stupid WAD. These change from time to time. 15 years ago it would've been a "WOW.WAD". 10 years ago it would have been a Gamarra WAD. Then a funduke WAD (though he didn't really make them, he just republished old, crappy ones).

And don't forget about the Nazi Auferstehung era, when ripping from various sources illegally and using map-improvising programs such as S***e was a blooming trend.

Of course, under these vague guidelines, even The Sky May Be may be considered a "terry wad", albeit a very smug one. It screws with the player just the same, albeit much more tactfully.

I personally admit (this would go for the Confessional Booth thread better, though), I liked SMB. Probably because of the high and varying height difference related to which MAP15 is flat as a plateau.

Cell said:

Exactly. Folks like Terry are masturbating on others being upset like so, and they're living all their pleasure out whilst expressing their acute homosexuality this way, since they're happy many and many people are getting to know about this sooner or later.

I understand the disdain, because I also hate people who get off on other people being upset. It's very older-sibling-picks-on-younger-sibling-to-raise-their-own-self-esteemish, and something people should probably grow out of by the time they're around 7. But really, accusing the authors of being gay is just as bad. Are we still at a point where, when someone pisses us off, we have to convince ourselves the person is gay to make ourselves feel better? This kind of reaction (that they must be homosexuals, which you obviously intend as an insult, which would only be insulting if you think homosexuals are bad) is probably exactly why the homosexual stuff is included in the wad in the first place. If the authors' intention was to bother you, then they've clearly been making some very successful wads.

Surely doom isn't the only game that's been Terried, right?

Spoiler

Take Duke Nukem! TAKE DUKE NUKEM!!!

I can't list the other doom engine games, they may be among us in this thread...