Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirby

8th Grade Metal Band Gets $1.7 Million Contract

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/8th-grade-metal-band-lands-1-7-million-record-contract-with-sony/

I am truly amazed to read about how this happened. Despite the fact that they will have quite a few milestones to reach before having the contract fully paid out I am very impressed at how much of an impact they had on their listeners (Steve Jordan namely). This still gives me faith that if you love what you do and you learn how to do it well anything is possible.

I remember seeing a little mini documentary about them, those kids are rad as hell. They have my support 100%

Yeah like Nomad said, saw a documentary on those guys earlier this year or something and they kicked ass.

Am I the only one who thinks the music is fucking boring? I really expected something less painfully derivative.

Isn't this just an attempt to sell a certain kind of music to a certain kind of target demographic? I am pretty sure that Sony is just looking to make a cheap buck by making these guys famous for a while to make money of them before then throwing them away at which point people will forget them. I hear this is actually pretty common in the music industry.

Eh pop music, Disney and country music have been picking kids for decades now. Its about time metal did the same thing. Parents buy CDs for kids.

Good that they know how to play these instruments that they use but they shouldn't try to release an album. That's just too much even when YOLO and stuff.
Here's a live vid:

GoatLord said:

Am I the only one who thinks the music is fucking boring? I really expected something less painfully derivative.

I do too.

hardcore_gamer said:

Isn't this just an attempt to sell a certain kind of music to a certain kind of target demographic? I am pretty sure that Sony is just looking to make a cheap buck by making these guys famous for a while to make money of them before then throwing them away at which point people will forget them. I hear this is actually pretty common in the music industry.

agreed.

As someone that played in a metal band for 7 years, I think their manufactured success is pretty lame.

Boybands reach metal, but remain as dull, generic and pronouncedly inoffensive as ever. Jubilations! Sony decided that metal is so mainstream now that it needs to be reined in by the corporate yoke!

Japan did it first anyways.

Wow, actual proof that there are black kids who listen to more than just whatever rap artist is popular?

Joking aside, the music isn't amazing, but it's beautiful to see young kids wailing on guitars and banging their heads as opposed to them calling "Modern Pop Star B" the greatest thing since sliced bread and listening to Skillrex (?) or whatever.

Clonehunter said:

Joking aside, the music isn't amazing, but it's beautiful to see young kids wailing on guitars and banging their heads as opposed to them calling "Modern Pop Star B" the greatest thing since sliced bread and listening to Skillrex (?) or whatever.

This! I love metal and it always warms my cold, black, shriveled heart to see it expand to other demographics! Their material might not be great, but the heart is there.

As a 15 year metal veteran (roughly half my life), I'm no more impressed by kids playing boring, generic metal than I am seeing them play vapid contemporary pop. It's all dogshit if the musicians lack the creativity to develop substantial ideas.

Nomad said:

I love metal and it always warms my cold, black, shriveled heart to see it expand to other demographics! Their material might not be great, but the heart is there.

I feel the same way. Maybe these guys will go on to actually produce some great heavy metal albums when they're older. For now it's pretty mediocre, but like you said - the heart and potential is there. This is the spirit I wish more young teenagers had.

GoatLord said:

As a 15 year metal veteran (roughly half my life), I'm no more impressed by kids playing boring, generic metal than I am seeing them play vapid contemporary pop. It's all dogshit if the musicians lack the creativity to develop substantial ideas.

Well you kinda have to start somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong, but you can't always just start off being really good. The only problem here is that some company is basically trying to butt fuck them earlier than they should.

Clonehunter said:

Well you kinda have to start somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong, but you can't always just start off being really good. The only problem here is that some company is basically trying to butt fuck them earlier than they should.

I agree that being prematurely screwed sucks, but I've spent the last 10 years being exposed to endless bands that had absolutely nothing to offer musically. My criticism with these kids isn't that they haven't matured as songwriters yet (after all, they're not even in high school). My issue is with their decision to confine themselves to the style of non-specific, melodically disengaging metal that is so popular these days.

that solo sux but im not sure if i play better overall, have played for 5 years but haven't played quite a while now.

GoatLord said:

My criticism with these kids isn't that they haven't matured as songwriters yet (after all, they're not even in high school). My issue is with their decision to confine themselves to the style of non-specific, melodically disengaging metal that is so popular these days.

Well again, it's only a start. They are too young to be taken seriously enough for a record deal, and hopefully they'll strike out and be a bit more engaging or unique (Although neither of those necessarily translate too being good). I think it's too early to really criticize or praise. I just wish they had more time to grow, and that Sony should back the hell off. Do they really need the extra money? Who am I kidding, of course they do.

The only thing that separates these kids from any other kid metal band is that they're black. I know big media conglomerates will make a vein effort to present themselves as liberal and progressive, but I just don't think we'll see anything come out of this. I just don't see how they'll make their money back. Maybe a reality show? Kudos to the kids, regardless.

Also, this is a TERRIBLE record deal. They will only see royalties if 250,000 records are sold. Holy shit. And if their first two albums are successful, they are (potentially) obligated to produce four more records for a measly 1.7 mil. I say potentially because it's not specified if they have a choice to extent their contract with further pay. But knowing Sony, they probably got the worst of the deal.

Babymetal kick started this trend, and Sony's trying to make it work here. This is how trends in the business happen, so expect to see more of these if this band manages to make it to any extent.

While that's cool to hear, I have a strong feeling it's going to be one of those cases where they get a dozen producers to do the work for the boys and the result will be absolute garbage.

Sony? Shame, now they become a corporate pawn in the music world. Also, that's not a fucking mosh pit, guys. The music is kinda generic as well.

Why not sign with a much smaller label? They're just getting screwed over by Sony Music.

Jesus christ that circle pit. What the hell?

Thanks Sony for making "casual metal" so approachable.

Proof Illuminati is real.

Chicago has an AC/DC cover band that is a bunch of 9 year olds that are now 16.

Technician said:

a measly 1.7 mil.

Considering the money Sony will / is hoping to make, that is pretty damn measly indeed. I hope they don't fuck em too hard, even if their music is painfully generic.. They're just kids after all.

Doomkid said:

Considering the money Sony will / is hoping to make, that is pretty damn measly indeed. I hope they don't fuck em too hard, even if their music is painfully generic.. They're just kids after all.

The generic isn't the cash in. The youth and the all black metal band is the cash in.

Reading some of these comments makes me think of the lyrics of this song

Btw, the new body count is pretty good, actually.

Here's a fun fact, Ice T was asked to be the front man of the Bad Brains at one point.