Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Alien Vendetta quiz

On 13 July 18:00 UTC I'll post an Alien Vendetta quiz in this thread. It will be in two parts. In the first part you'll get some black & white screenshots of the levels and you'll have to try to recognize the levels. The second part will have some trivia questions about the levels, maybe wad's history and so on. You'll have a limited time to send your answers via PM (probably one hour or less) so make sure to come in time if you're interested!

I can change the time if it's inconvenient for many people so please tell me your preferences.

Do you guys think it would be okay to have questions like this?

8. Two drunkards appear on a subway station. They see a sign. An idea for an AV-inspired map is born. What map?

Or is that a bit too offtopic? I wonder if someone can answer this. :)

Well, maybe because that question isn't so much about AV, but about another wad... So people might complain that such questions don't fit the theme of the quiz... If that's not a problem then I'm glad, as it allows a lot more interesting questions.

Yeah, of course it's KS map18. Source:

Once upon a time Method and Gusta went from a pub. Both of them drunken. They arrived to some underground station, rode down on escalator and started to waiting for a train. After a few minutes a big sign lighted up. Both of them started to read simultaneously drunkly:
"The Train is Approaching"
... After a few seconds of silence Method said:
"Heh, that would be a cool tittle for some map."
... Another few seconds of silence ... then Gusta said:
"OK, I will do it, I have an idea."
After a while noone of them knew what were they talking about.
Next day Gusta was sober and memoried he had some idea about doom ... luckily he remembered that event in the station and even his idea for the map, he immediately started to work on it...

I know that's pretty obscure lol. Some questions are quite difficult but I'm trying to leave little hints in them that might make it possible to find the answers via google or whatever.

Start!

You have one hour to complete two tasks:

1. Download an archive with 9 black and white screenshots taken on various Alien Vendetta levels and identify these levels.

2. Answer the following 8 questions. Please read them carefully and give detailed answers containing all necessary information. You're allowed to use Google and stuff but don't discuss the questions with other people.

1. Alien Vendetta... But it wasn't always called like that. What is the old name? (1 point)

2. Which map didn't "survive" the update to AV's second release? (1 point)

3. Instead of submitting his map to AV he chose another promising project. He later regretted this decision in his comments as he had to wait over 

6 years for the release. Who is this about and what's the map in question? (2 points)

4. There is an explicit reference to a famous speedrunner in AV that you can find without cheating. Where? (1 point) Explain how to reach it. (1 point)

5. Speaking of speedrunners, there is another reference to one somewhere in AV, and this time you have to cheat a bit to find it. Where is it? We won't ask you to name the speedrunner since it is ambigous. (2 points)

6. He made over 15 songs for AV but they didn't make the cut. Who is he (1 point) and where can you find these midis? (1 point)

7. The AV ship is still afloat somewhere in another wip megawad... Where? (1 point) And speaking of which, what's the significance of that ship's name? (1 point)

8. I entered this creepy area but I didn't feel like fighting in almost total darkness, so I left the monsters there and went ahead to the next room. Later on I found out that they died anyway, and would you believe that no infightings took place there? What is this about? (2 points)

NOTE: don't make multiple guesses. Answers like "it's either map56 or map86" will give you zero points even if one of these guesses is correct. Same rule applies to the written questions.

When you're done, send me all your answers via PM. Be sure to send your PM before 19:01 UTC. I'm closing this thread for one hour to ensure that people don't post their answers here. PM me if you have some questions or problems, I'll respond quickly. Good luck!

Results:

Andy Johnsen    - 21 points 
vdgg            - 11.5 points
Cell            - 10 points
Keyboard_Doomer - 8 points
Plut            - 7 points 
Grain of Salt   - 6.2 points 
Martin          - 1 point

Answers:
Screenshots
av1 - map18
av2 - map07 (trick question. NOT map08: compare the areas in Doom Builder and you'll see a noticeable difference)
av3 - map04
av4 - map28
av5 - map06
av6 - map01
av7 - map24
av8 - map23
av9 - map11
Questions
1. The old name is "Alien Vindicta". See here - http://www.doomworld.com/php/oldnews.php?time=966390805
2. "Valley of Echoes", the former map25. See here - http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Alien_Vendetta
3. Joe Pallai with his Plutonia 2 map23. From PL2INFO.TXT: "Wow!  8 fricking years!!!  I knew I should have submitted my maps to AV..."
4. Marijo "Sedlo" Sedlic. On map03, on the stairs leading to the yellow door, use rocketjump to jump to a box of shells and walk though the wall.
5. On map06 you can find a "RIP Adam" sign via IDDT, undoubtedly referencing either Adam Hegyi or Adam Williamson.
6. Sam Woodman aka "Metabolist", the midis are still available on his FTP - http://www.doomworld.com/metabolist/ftp/music/
7. It's in Deus Vult 2 map01. The name "MS #NIGHTMARE" references the IRC channel where Compet-N players used to hang out a lot.
8. On map27 the cacodemons in the dark tunnel will get crushed by the ceiling when you cross a linedef in one of the last areas of the map.

Point distribution:
Andy Johnsen    - (1 av1) + (1 av3) + (1 av4) + (1 av5) + (1 av6) + (1 av7) + (1 av8) + (1 av9) + (1 q1) + (1 q2) + (2 q3) + (1 + 1 q4) + (2 q5) + (1 + 0 q6) + (1 + 1 q7) + (2 q8)
vdgg            - (1 av1) + (1 av3) + (1 av4) + (1 av5) + (1 av6) + (1 av7) + (1 av8) + (1 av9) + (1 q2) + (1 + 0 q4) + (0 + 1 q7) + (0,5 q8)
Cell            - (1 av1) + (1 av3) + (1 av4) + (1 av5) + (1 av6) + (1 av7) + (1 av8) + (1 av9) + (1 q1) + (1 q2)
Keyboard_Doomer - (1 av1) + (1 av3) + (1 av5) + (1 av8) + (1 av9) + (1 q2) + (2 q4)
Plut            - (1 av3) + (1 av4) + (1 av5) + (1 av6) + (1 av8) + (1 av9) + (1 q2)
Grain of Salt   - (0,5 av2) + (1 av8) + (0,5 q2) + (2 q3) + (1 + 0,2 q6) + (1 + 0 q7)
Martin          - (1 + 0 q6)

Notes:
Andy Johnsen
[q3: "I cant recall any author that was promised a slot, so I'm gonna slightly dispute this one until my memory is refreshed :)" - can't argue with the man himself!]
[q5: wrote about the super secret area in map24 - I didn't know about this one but it is correct as well]
[q6: wrote that the music went to Hell Revealed 2 which I believe is incorrect - if you look at the file names on the FTP, hr2 midis use a different naming convention]

vdgg
[q4: wrote that you can reach that area with a SR50 jump, which I believe is impossible]
[q8: "Activating a crusher somewhere"]

Grain of Salt
[av2: correctly pointed out that the area exists on both maps 07 and 08 but explicitly said "It’s MAP08" which is incorrect: on map08 the area is a bit different]
[q2: wrote "map24 valley of echoes" but valley of echoes was map25]
[q6: guessed correctly that it is Sam Woodman, the answer "you can find the tracks on a preserved web.archive.org version of his old doom website" is technically correct but way too unclear)

Keyboard_Doomer
[q4: also wrote about that map24 super secret]

Big thanks for participating people! If you want to dispute something, bring it on and the points will change if we agree.

Shout out to me for only getting one of the screenshots right but plucking the answer "Sam Woodman" from literally nowhere.

Did anyone actually use google btw?

I used google, but it helped me with nothing.
I'm still confused about map04 screenshot, there's a dark texture that looks like BROWNHUG which I don't see anywhere. I spent like 10 minutes with DB2 looking for SHAWN1 textures in other maps thinking map04 would be a trap...

I thought I would get last place.

Where is darkreaver?

Any more quizes?

Okay, after getting two messages from people who know about AV's history much more than me, I decided to give Andy full points for the third question. Can't argue with the man himself!

2vdgg: go to the exit room and look in the left window. The black&white palette made things look a bit strange I suppose.

And yes, I'd like to organize more quizes in the future if I'll be able to come up with such interesting (I hope) questions again.

I spent like 10 minutes with DB2 looking for SHAWN1 textures in other maps thinking map04 would be a trap...

Wait we were allowed to go look at the maps??

Did I completely misunderstand the rules of this quiz

Memfis said:

Okay, after getting two messages from people who know about AV's history much more than me, I decided to give Andy full points for the third question. Can't argue with the man himself!

2vdgg: go to the exit room and look in the left window. The black&white palette made things look a bit strange I suppose.

And yes, I'd like to organize more quizes in the future if I'll be able to come up with such interesting (I hope) questions again.

Well you certainly got me on map08, and also - your correct about hr2 tracks, they are not the same as the ones made for av. Interesting :)

Well I could have spotted that something's not okay with that screen, but I, just like almost all the other participants, fell to the "oh, it's too obvious" trap. This would be a handy thing to remember that the passover is just like between MAP03 and MAP04.

Yes, you were allowed to look at the levels! I wrote "You're allowed to use Google and stuff", sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough.

btw it was very surprising and cool to see Andy participating and even "correcting" my questions! :)

Oh, and I don't forget to mention that in a lesser degree, the MAP28 screen was tricky, too. One could simply believe it's MAP29, since there are multiple areas in that level resembling that screenie. The main clue which gives it away is indicated by the two green torches in alcoves, and since MAP29 doesn't feature such, the competitor needs to search clue from somewhere else.

Awesome stuff. Wasn't able to participate this time though, unfortunately. I would have answered most of the questions right, and all screenshots except for av2, I would have guessed map08 there.

Andy Johnsen    - All of them.