Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plums

plums' skystravaganza!

I like to dick around with graphics editing software sometimes. Recently I've been playing with photos and making them into Doom skies. I've accumulated a bunch, and so I'm releasing them for other people to use. 40 skies in total!

2014-07-19 update: more skies, demo map fixed for PrBoom+, other tweaks
http://www.mediafire.com/?bchwnavzsnu73nk

There's a few really good ones, a bunch of decent ones, and a couple mediocre ones that maybe someone will like anyhow. Also a few edits of classic iwad skies, to extend them and/or make them tile vertically.

Some highlights (width trimmed to 512px in some cases):

Let me know if you use them for anything!

Plums do you think you could make that purple planet sky in true color and not horribly shoved into Doom's terrible limited magenta range since Doom's palette has almost 2 full ranges of colors you can replace anyway so people can make a purple range to handle it.

Tarnsman said:

Plums do you think you could make that purple planet sky in true color and not horribly shoved into Doom's terrible limited magenta range since Doom's palette has almost 2 full ranges of colors you can replace anyway so people can make a purple range to handle it.

Agreed! I love the look of that purple sky, but in its current form it'd be really difficult to use. Having the original version to remap into a more purple-friendly palette would be great.

Tarnsman said:

Probably. I don't know if I could recreate it strictly as true-colour, but I could at least replace the blue/purple dither with another few out-of-palette colours, which is probably what looks the worst to people. Maybe soften the white band too.

Speaking of which, do you (or anyone else) have a good non-redundant Doom palette? I know there's like 8 colours that are strict duplicates, I imagine you can get away with removing some of the browns too. Probably not too hard but if someone's done that work already, I wouldn't mind having a copy.

likely due to the gamma on my phone, the purple sky looked pretty great when I saw it earlier but now I do see what they mean. gonna check out the pack though :D

Download link updated, new version includes a demo map with sky transfers, a few skies renamed, and a few tweaked patches. I didn't change the text file now that there's a map, but don't worry about that, it'll be fixed for idgames.

https://www.mediafire.com/?4795zp1vle48jm4

Will work on the purple stuff (there's another one in there too) later.

Oh and thanks all, for comments/interest/etc.

Thanks guys.

lol, HOMs everywhere in PrBoom+ software mode because I forgot to make a proper bounding box for the sky walls. Will update later, in the meantime use GLBoom+ or ZDoom or something else.

I love the purple skies as is, beautiful for a DOS game's palette limit. Great skies!

hah, chicago skyline.

The forest one could be neat, not sure I've ever seen a map with a sky like that.

Doomkid: I actually like the purple planet like that too, but I'm going to try touching it up anyhow.

Ribbiks: Forest was a neat idea but I think the scale is too large. Might try again another time with that same picture or a similar one at least. Also yeah, a few recognizable cities in there :)

Speaking of extended IWAD skies, the other day I was wandering around Flickr and found out there's quite a good bunch of pictures that would help greatly if someone wants to create a 1024px wide SKY1. (Not sure about how CC licensing works in Flickr so I tried my best at filtering the pictures that allow modifications)

I got reminded of this because of Plums' 512px wide SKY1 in this wad, which is quite ingenious, but I'm confident it can be expanded in a better way by using non-repeating mountains

This is what i've been waiting for, a cool blue sky, ill use it in one of my projects.

Of course, thanks for spreading it around.

Will probably get to tweaking those purple skies today...

update: http://www.mediafire.com/?bchwnavzsnu73nk

-demo map works properly in PrBoom+ in software mode
-misc tweaks to some skies
-four more space skies from this post
-purple skies have alternate-coloured versions with less dithering, and purple non-paletted versions embedded as PNGs in the wad. (click for fullsize)

This is probably it for this one, going to wait a day and then upload to idgames

Wow. Really nice selection you have here. I am definitely going to use some of these.

sweet!! damn those slave skies you linked to look really cool!

several weeks late edit: hahaha yeah space not slave. my b

Tango said:

slave skies

Assuming you are on a phone and meant "space skies?" Thanks!