Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

Could we use the Perdition's Gate textures?

From the retail wad, probably not without Atari's approval. Though you might get away with using textures from the 11 map Limited Edition demo version.

EDIT - updated link

People get away with using Quake or Hexen textures in Doom II mods, so you can get away with using commercial Doom II mod textures in Doom II mods.

Atari's never going to notice, or care, and probably doesn't even know they got the rights for these extremely anecdotal products when they bought some company a long time ago.

And I'm sure the original authors would be perfectly okay with reuse. Tom Mustaine, for instance, had no problem putting his songs on his website, and even linking to a copy of the full mod.

I think there's a pretty big hesitation to use resources from other wads. I think it has a lot to do with (as this thread suggests) the uncertainty that the original author is okay with it. Demonologist brought it up in my music the plutonia way thread that music from ROTT, Duke3d, and Mark Klem get reused all the time without thinking twice, while great music composed for community megawads and stuff tends to only get used that one time.

In the texture department, no one has a problem using Gothic Deathmatches textures or recolored doom texture packs without even crediting the authors because everyone else is doing it, but even after I made UAC Ultra textures available for other people to use in their maps as per Super Jamie's request, I've only found about 3 wads where they were used.

I myself, am uncomfortable about making a wad that uses textures other than ones I've made myself. Fortunately I know enough about graphics editing to recreate the ones I want from scratch, or with Doom textures as a base.

This community seems to have a lingering concern about the gray area on whether its OK or not OK to use stuff. I don't have anything to suggest except maybe it's not always clear when someone releases an editing resource that they want feedback on it before they keep it for their own use, or they made it and are pushing for other people to spread its popularity. I just think its weird.

The UAC Ultra textures have a rather specific style that doesn't go well with a lot of stuff, of course you won't see them used often.

People will use textures and music from almost anything out there that isn't a community project. That said, Perdition's Gate is hated by the moderators so it might be the one time the textures arent ripped off.

I'd really like to see a PG project btw, and give people without the wad a look into the PG style.

A safe thing to do is to make a wad that requires Perdition's Gate as an external resource but don't include it with your wad.