Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Doom 4 to be shown at Quakecon exclusively

Quasar said:

Already noted this newest slap-in-the-face to the fans on the wiki ;)

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_4#E3_Teaser

You could say it's slap in the face to Doom fans, or you could say it's a treat for the QuakeCon attendees.

While the teaser should have clarified this better, I don't see a problem with it. We'll get previews and maybe even a leak. The official unveiling will probably come a few weeks after.

Even though I intend to stay in the dark until the release, I'm disappointed with this. After they've released a teaser after 6 years of nothing I was sure that QuakeCon would mark the big bang of marketing leading up to the release.

If the actual reveal happens shortly after that (a month or two), that's fine. But if this ends up being a disconnected, DNF-style "here's the tease, stay tuned" nonsense, then this won't be very nice.

Funny how con exclusives are always dick moves. Same thing happened in the Godzilla community. Heh.

PRIMEVAL said:

Funny how con exclusives are always dick moves. Same thing happened in the Godzilla community. Heh.

Saying it was going to be con-exclusive from the get-go would have made it not a dick move. Still annoying, but not a dick move. Springing that like an "oh yeah we forgot to mention" a few weeks later was clearly planned ahead in an attempt to create "buyer's angst." Classic marketing voodoo psychology in action.

I don't get it. Aren't all these social events streamed live on Twitch or whatever these days? And even if they aren't, surely someone is bound to put it on the Internet anyway? Like each year we got the Carmack keynote on Youtube.

They have confirmed it somewhere that the opening ceremony will not be streamed because of DOOM. But it will leak and I see that as a bad thing. They have a lot to prove with that game and it surely won't help them if the first thing that people see out of it is a shaky cam footage.

Effective marketing, when you think about it. Nothing like a little exclusivity to make everyone 'want' to see what's in store.

Let's see if it works.

Ever since I saw the teaser I've been counting days until Quakecon. So fucking disappointed. And the "reveal" is now just going to be a sneak peek. Probably zero gameplay/all CGI or some pre-alpha reaction fishing bullshit. The amount of time passed and nothing shown so far is a poor base to start pushing up hype by exclusive sneak peeks.

Eh, figures. Who knows, maybe it'll be something like the Doom 3 Alpha game demo. And then it'll leaked. And then people are told not to talk about it or share it. Then many years down the road no one will care that much anymore.

Welp, that's it. I give up on iD Software and their terrible attitude and secrecy. This is like waiting for the next Necrophagist album.

Never going to happen. It's bullshit.

I'm betting it's because the game is still in dev hell and they don't actually have anything to show other than a short vertical slice demo.

Who cares? The game won't be released for another 5 years? If anyone gets an exclusive peak, it is basically a free handjob.

TheCupboard said:

Who cares? The game won't be released for another 5 years? If anyone gets an exclusive peak, it is basically a free handjob.

Now let's hold on a moment here, is a free handjob a bad thing? And can we get to second base during said handjob? Speaking of which, I hope this has game has a titty demon, like those good looking female Quake 2 stroggs. Where was I? How did I get here?

I do think it's nutty that they're not revealing this to the public yet, especially after releasing the teaser to the teaser to the public. But, I sure won't give up on id or anything, and as any 90s FPS fan I'm used to waiting years or decades if need be. And I'm highly pumped.

I'm with Quasar here - it wouldn't have been a dick move if they had announced from the get go that the presentation would be only for Quakecon attendees, BUT they KNEW that the majority of people would have left the announcement with "meh... whatever then" attitude.

I hate what id Software has become. I still lie to myself that it's Zenimax's fault and they order them to do such stuff, because objectively speaking I cannot deny that id Software has always done DAMN good games. Their current attitude is just so much different from what they presented back when Carmack was there. I just find it hard to get used to the current state of affairs: no more source codes released, no more DRM-free products, basically doing NOTHING that doesn't yield money. I won't be surprised if they cut the idea of map editing / modding from all further products.

My take is a polar opposite of what you say. Considering the premature beta announcement and using DOOM as a bait for QuakeCon I'm positive it's all Bethesda's fault. I'd risk saying id wouldn't announce DOOM until next year or something if it wasn't for Zenimax wanting to use the name for marketing purposes.

Patrol1985 said:

no more source codes released, no more DRM-free products, basically doing NOTHING that doesn't yield money. I won't be surprised if they cut the idea of map editing / modding from all further products.

Everytime someone mentions it, I gotta ask: who the hell cares? Source code release? DOOM 3 got its code released because people wanted it and what happened? Well, nothing. RAGE got its SDK released because people wanted it and what happened? You guessed, nothing. They've even released a source code for BFG Edition... and? Also, how many great maps we've got for DOOM 3, again? People just love to complain about source codes and modding but when it comes to it, they do nothing with it.

Touchdown said:

My take is a polar opposite of what you say. Considering the premature beta announcement and using DOOM as a bait for QuakeCon I'm positive it's all Bethesda's fault. I'd risk saying id wouldn't announce DOOM until next year or something if it wasn't for Zenimax wanting to use the name for marketing purposes.

I hope you're right.

Touchdown said:

Everytime someone mentions it, I gotta ask: who the hell cares? Source code release? DOOM 3 got its code released because people wanted it and what happened? Well, nothing. RAGE got its SDK released because people wanted it and what happened? You guessed, nothing. They've even released a source code for BFG Edition... and? Also, how many great maps we've got for DOOM 3, again? People just love to complain about source codes and modding but when it comes to it, they do nothing with it.

I care. As for the "nothings": There is ioDoom3 for Doom 3 and "Rebalance Mod" (AWESOME!) for "RAGE" along with a survival map by the same author. Quake 4 multiplayer would have sucked if it hadn't been for Q4MAX mod.

I agree that not a lot of stuff gets developed, but it's more than nothing and having played the "Rebalance Mod" for RAGE I can say that it alone was worth the SDK getting released (in my opinion). NO GAME will ever get as much fan-created content as Doom/Doom II, but it doesn't mean that if only one or two mods exist the idea of releasing source code / SDKs should be abandoned.

Besides, it's not about content really, it's about the general attitude. Remember what the publishers did upon Doom 3 BFG's release? They temporarily removed vanilla Doom 3 from Steam Store. The only message I got from that is "our new game sucks balls and new features certainly don't justify the price bump so we will FORCE you to buy the game by removing the cheaper, and not neccessarily worse (lower requirements + mod support) alternative".

Mark my words when I say that such companies will release games in the future with some sort of time-bomb mechanism which makes the game impossible to run once certain amount of time has been reached ("ok buddy, you've put 40 hours into this title, buy our new game already")...

... oh wait... it's called "paid subscription". These are reserved for multiplayer, but will probably find their way to single-player games as well.

Touchdown said:

They've even released a source code for BFG Edition... and? Also, how many great maps we've got for DOOM 3, again? People just love to complain about source codes and modding but when it comes to it, they do nothing with it.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/RBDOOM-3-BFG

Quakecon starts this weekend. Is anyone from the forum going there and can cover what will have been shown?

Part of me cannot wait to hear something official about it and the other part can't wait to smash the game into small piles of putrid debris.

Caffeine Freak said:

I'm in Dallas as well. I'll be attending the Doom reveal tonight for sure, and report back.

What will you be wearing, so I can identify you? I'll be in all black with a Suffocation shirt and a ponytailed mohawk.

GoatLord said:

What will you be wearing, so I can identify you? I'll be in all black with a Suffocation shirt and a ponytailed mohawk.

I'll just post a pic. This is me and what I'm wearing today.

Dark blue jeans, in case you can't see that part. Anyway, I'll be waiting around the area of the huge double doors leading into the Ventrilo room where they're showing the reveal. I'll probably be waiting outside the doors there at least half an hour before it starts, so you can look for me then.

Please report whatever you can as soon as you can. No need for actual footage - I know you may be in trouble for trying to obtain it, so I advise you (with aching heart) not to risk anything.

Opinions from fellow forum members will suffice for me.

And if I may suggest something - use private messages to exchange phone numbers. You will find each other easier that way. Good luck guys! The forum depends on you.... no pressure though :D