Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tarkus

Map Editor?

I was wondering what map editor you guys would recommend me using for making some maps. I used to use DEU 5.21GCC back in the day... but since I haven't made any doom maps in about 7 years, I'd like to try my hand at making a new single player episode for doom2.

any thoughts?

Little Faith said:

Wintex is good for beginners.

I'm hardly a beginner, I understand everything about doom map, i am however out of the loop of what's the best in editors at this time... :D

You can't make maps with WinTex......

Anyway, I prefer WadAuthor, but it's only good if it's registered.

Tarkus - you sound like me 4 months ago :)

I was also a DEU veteran years ago, but i got back into editing in January... i currently use WinDEU v5.9 - it's bug ridden and can't handle maps with massive amounts of textures loaded up... but it works in exactly the same way as the original.

Having said that, if i had some cash i'd have bought Deepsea by now.

Archvile64 said:

You can't make maps with WinTex......

Anyway, I prefer WadAuthor, but it's only good if it's registered.

Aw, sorry I meant wadauthor. I'm too forgetful. My brain doesn't function right in these temperatures.

I'm always surprised that there are people who are sitting at computers worth $1000 - $3000 but don't have $20 or $30 for some software (wad editor) which will give more hours of service and fun than any other software they have, except the OS. Won't almost any parent pony up $30 if the kid asks politely, and explains that it's a tool which will let them do constructive work?

Biffy said:

I'm always surprised that there are people who are sitting at computers worth $1000 - $3000 but don't have $20 or $30 for some software (wad editor)

You answered your own question :) Because everybody spends all the money on hardware, they don't have money for software anymore :P

Won't almost any parent pony up $30 if the kid asks politely, and explains that it's a tool which will let them do constructive work?

Sure, but getting to use their credit card for paying is a lot harder...

If you're not scared of the command line I would use DETH you should be right at home if you've used DEU in the past, works on W2K and XP too.

Well, I'm using windeu 5.24... ahhh.... memories...

anyways, thanks for the resources guys :D

Biffy said:

Won't almost any parent pony up $30 if the kid asks politely, and explains that it's a tool which will let them do constructive work?

About 80% of parents wouldn't. I know mine wouldn't, they would call it a waste of money.

But now since I have a job, I can finally just give them the cash and use their credit card. :)

XWE is also a freeware alternative. I released the new version about a week ago, this time the map editor is decent. I received no feedback on it though, it's very hard to "break into" the Level Editor "market".

from what i've done in the past- Dck all the way! its the easiest editor i've used. and it gets the job done quite well... best get dck 3.62 since its got most of the bugs out of it

Csabo said:

XWE is also a freeware alternative. I released the new version about a week ago, this time the map editor is decent. I received no feedback on it though, it's very hard to "break into" the Level Editor "market".

Well, I'm one of the XWE fan. I use it more for loading images, scripts, toy with TEXTURE and PNAME than making a map. It's the easiest program to change things in a wad but making a map isn't easy. I prefer WA over XWE on it because XWE freezes for 1-2 seconds everytime I select a sector or a linedef. It needs the undo function too. I don't really like the texture menu, WA is simpler for it's small pop-up menu with all the option to modify a sector and the drop-down list with all the textures and a preview of them. XWE map map editing system is good for making minor adjustement but making a complete map with it would take too much time. It's cool you added support for zdoom though. Like I said, XWE rocks, but it's not the best for making maps .

Some of us bought their PCs like 3 years ago when they had money - and now they don't.

Peh.