Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

Doom 4 at Quakecon

If anyone here was at Quakecon and managed to grab any pictures, or would like to discuss what they saw of Doom 4, It can be discussed here. Sorry if this is too early, my hype train is in full motion right now.

Ok, just saw it at Quakecon.

They talked about how fast it was going to be and then talked about all the classic enemies. They even showed all the old sprites of the demons, all looking forward. I was so pumped about it, hoping they would all look like the old school characters.

WRONG

They showed a lot of gameplay and it reminded me of Doom 3. Sorry but all of the demons look more like the Doom 3 versions and way too similar to each other. They also do not make individual noises like they did in Doom 2. I could not even tell what was what besides for Revenant and Mancubus. They were done ok. Cyberdemon was cool but the old school version just looks meaner IMO.

There is a lot of gore and ripping apart enemies but they just look too much like Doom 3 to me.

The weapons are pretty good overall, double barrel, plasma, and chainsaw were shown. A couple of rockets too. Some old sound effects were redone and that was pretty good but they didn't use them enough.

The gameplay looked too slow and there was WAY too much atmosphere like Doom3.

More later but I was let down overall. :(

So you were expecting a classic doom 2 in 2014? pretty wrong there. At this point you can't expect a game 100% classic, you just can't.

Technically, it doesn't have to be classic Doom 2 2014 edition and that was not what I read from Gruson's post either.

Seems to me he was complaining that the design was too much like Doom 3. You could modernize the design of the Doom monsters and still make them look different from Doom 3.

Whether the design is actually similar to Doom 3 like he says or it's just hyperbole from someone who really hates the Doom 3 design and detests anything that resembles it (can't fault a man for having a negative reaction to something that looks like something he hates) remains to be seen.

Hey Gruson, did those imps look skinny, grey and have like 8 black spider eyes?

Exactly dsm, exactly what I wanted. That design of Mancubus is better IMO. Looks more like the original. I was really hoping to hear Mancubus sound similar to Doom 2 but he didn't.

I honestly could barely tell the difference between an imp or human. They moved and looked a lot alike. Plus the level was really dark. I think they showed a Hell Knight and it just looked like a slightly fatter imp. At least I think that was a Hell Knight that I saw, hope it was not Pinky!

Doom 3's atmosphere and ambience was largely inspired by DOOM 64, which was largely inspired from Quake 1-style ambience and atmosphere.

While Quake 1 I was not a huge fan of, DOOM 64's creepy isolated space base corridors were just awesome. I was really happy to see that in DOOM 3, and same with the ambient Audbrey Hodges inspired DOOM 64-style atmospheric audio.

Of course, I still love the classic DOOM 1 level design and textures of the space bases and hell itself. DOOM 2... well, I never particular cared for the "hell on earth" or "cities/urban" style design. Just was "meh" to me.

With the new DOOM game, really hoping to see a blend of DOOM 3/DOOM 1/DOOM 64 as far as level and atmosphere design goes. As far as audio, I'd really like for some action-scene DOOM 1 rock/metal style music tracks to play over, but the Hodges creepy tunes really would be a good fit throughout the level overall.

What really matters to me is huge indoor base level design, and a lot of outdoor areas like DOOM 1.... e3m6, e1m8, e2m8, e1m1, e2m2, e2m4, e3m2, e3m3 are all really great examples.

Really does sound like they are taking inspiration from the DOOM comic (specifically the one that was included with the id anthology) as far as violence and gore goes.

I personally don't mind at all if they implement some of the atmospheric elements from Doom 3 over, just as long as it isn't all horror-themed.
What I really, really want, is some extended Hell segments and levels where they can add in some creative and awesome encounters while still keeping the vibe believable enough so it doesn't appear "over the top".

Buckshot said:

Whichever this was...

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/page00.jpg

That's the sense of action/gore/violence they are going for this time...

Yah, I believe that the Anthology comic was a re-issue of the earlier one, so they're the same. I've been yearning for the Doom Comic to be a game. Hey, any chance of one liners? Or is it up the player to come up with those? :P

So what was shown at Quakecon, I thought after Quakecon was over it was going to be released to the wider public? Is this not happening? I've been trying to avoid discussions of it so I can form my own opinions of it without having preconceptions from what others thought.

Face23785 said:

So what was shown at Quakecon, I thought after Quakecon was over it was going to be released to the wider public? Is this not happening? I've been trying to avoid discussions of it so I can form my own opinions of it without having preconceptions from what others thought.

All signs point to no. Official sources have stated they don't intend for a public reveal until 2015.

Quasar said:

All signs point to no. Official sources have stated they don't intend for a public reveal until 2015.

This is the exact reason I'm losing hype so quickly. Also Bethesda is being an asshole to everyone who couldn't travel half way across the god damn country.
They pretty much said: "Oh, hey there guys! You've been waiting YEARS for a new Doom game! How about you haul ass over to QuakeCon to see the only gameplay for the game? What's that? You live hours upon hours away, and can't leave your state right now? Well that's a damn shame! Sucks for you guys!"

It's like they don't want their fans to be excited.

Or maybe they just thought it'd be a cool thing to do for the folks who put Quakecon on every year and come out there to make it a success? I couldn't go either, and I'm disappointed there's no public release of what they saw, but at the same time I think it's cool they showed homage to that crowd. People can say it wasn't fair, but is it fair when they release the game and some people can't afford a new computer and a copy of the game? Should they buy everyone who wants to play it a new computer? I mean, it's only fair right?

Face23785 said:

Or maybe they just thought it'd be a cool thing to do for the folks who put Quakecon on every year and come out there to make it a success? I couldn't go either, and I'm disappointed there's no public release of what they saw, but at the same time I think it's cool they showed homage to that crowd. People can say it wasn't fair, but is it fair when they release the game and some people can't afford a new computer and a copy of the game? Should they buy everyone who wants to play it a new computer? I mean, it's only fair right?

I think they could go half-way at least and toss out some screenshots for people to pick apart :P

Quasar said:

I think they could go half-way at least and toss out some screenshots for people to pick apart :P

This +1

Just one screenshot. Even if it's a bullshot, so we have some sort of idea what to expect graphically/tonally. :(

hey just draw a picture of what you have seen, they can't stop this lol