Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Range of the autoaim

Anybody remember offhand when the auto-aim i Doom kicks in, in map grid units? Before freelook become a standard feature of the new engine ports, this used to be all that you had to reach monsters that resided above the default elevation of your bullets. It is still a gameplay factor for players who like to save their wrist the starin of constant freelook. I guess I could make a map to test it, but if someone's got it in memory, give us a shot, will ye?

After making a test map, it seems about 1016 units (trying 1018 resulted in no autoaim). Actually, another good map to test this would be eternall map12 with the chaingun snipers at the start. :)

Autoaim range is 1024 units, hitscan range is 2048 units. Note that unlike players, monsters can autoaim from any range they can shoot from. Also note that range is measured from the centre of the shooter to the centre of any potential targets; the target's bounding box is not taken into account (incidentally, this is why melee attacks are less likely to connect against wide monsters).

Those were the numbers I was looking for, much obliged.

TimeOfDeath said:

After making a test map, it seems about 1016 units (trying 1018 resulted in no autoaim). Actually, another good map to test this would be eternall map12 with the chaingun snipers at the start. :)

Remember to lower your HUD - all spacemarine tools must be applied. ;)

Remember that some source ports change this value.

ZDoom changes the maximum range of the players hitscan's (though not the monsters) to 8192 unit's