Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Demon of the Well said:

Courage, Phil, Courage. Once you get your teeth into it you'll find that it's not as over-the-top as you may have been led to believe....it simply requires a bit of a different mindset than other WADs you may have played on a more traditional pattern (though of course HR is old enough at this point that it can be rightfully said that it has its own tradition, I suppose).

I get that lots of people love Hell Revealed (myself included), but I found it insane that, looking into the past, when a newbie asked what they should play after having finished Doom II there would be a chorus of Hell Revealed faithfuls. Anyone who can weather it, though, will be a significantly stronger player for having done so.

HR is funny: when I first played it, I played through level 10 on HMP and (outside a couple of choice encounters) didn't think it was particularly difficult at all. I've since replayed it from the beginning again on HMP (I'm currently on MAP22) and am glad I didn't make the attempt on UV. (And I'm sure the final episode will be that much more difficult.)

Last night I finally finished up Unholy Realms. And by "finished" I mean "Made it to MAP30 and played for 40 minutes or so before giving up in sheer frustration." (Infinitely-spawning monsters on top of a screw-you switch hunt? Gah.) Other than that, though, it was a great set. I really liked the last few levels (could be because they're freshest in my mind) but the bonus levels also stick out in memory.

Still working on finishing off WADs I started but haven't finished in the last year or so. Not sure what I'll tackle next, but the current shortlist is:

HR (on MAP22)
Reverie (need to just give up on MAP31 and move on)
20X6 (halfway done)
Swim With the Whales (final map left)

Just finished playing Aliens Colonial Marines. Bit of a fly stew with some soup on it. Plays more like an Aliens/Alien 3 rockumentary than a coherent storyline. Wouldn't recommend it. Still - was fun to hear a new Hicks line or two, from the horse's mouth, as it were. And a couple of the aliens encounters actually had some tension. Had to bump skill level down to easiest to get by a horribly, horribly, horribly, balanced boss encounter. Fired up Fallout Vegas, but that didn't take.

Diablo II passed me by back in the day and I recently found a cheap copy, so I picked that up. Much more accessible and fun to play than the third installment, though there doesn't seem to be much variation after the first few hours of play. Got that on, on and off. Oh, and just beat Worms Ultimate Mayhem. Didn't like the look of that when it first came out, but one does look more backward toward missed classics than forward to the next big thing these days. Sadly, PSN multiplayer seems to have been discontinued for the 3D Worms games, but it was a good sp game all the same.

Currently playing the 5 Rooms of Doom beta.

Alien Vendetta. Reading through Memfis's quiz inspired me to go back and play through it again. But with some changes. About four years ago I found a version of AV.wad at best-ever.org that was larger than the original. It had 86 new sounds added. Not sure from where. Some of them sound familiar (Quake 2?).

I never realized that Metabolist had created original music for AV. So I went to his site and downloaded his midis. I created an avmusic.wad out of his AV pieces and his music for the unreleased Twice Risen project. I filled in the rest with some of his other music. I kept the only original piece from AV, the music for MAP20, and moved it to the title music. I thought Metabolist's AV title music was too short.

Also figured "What the hell" and pulled the original MAP25, Valley of Echoes, and added it to AV.wad as MAP33 along with CWILV24 renamed to CWILV32. Edited the DEHACKED entry and created a MAPINFO so the wad would automatically go from MAP25 to MAP33 to MAP26. Added another Metabolist midi as D_MAP33. Level progression works. I'll find out how it plays. If I find an appropriate spot to add a secret exit somewhere in the MAP2x's, I'll probably do that and adjust the MAPINFO. And no, I won't post it anywhere. I never do that. That would be rude.

Up to MAP04. I know I played through AV when it was first released, but I must not have looked at it since then because absolutely nothing feels familiar.

I just launched c-chest3.wad to waste some time. I warped to map20 beause I haven't played beyond the first 15 maps or so. And here's a rant...

HOLY SHIT what a boring ass map that was. I ran around with just a shotty for 10 minutes (mostly running past all monters) before I even noticed the SSG in a huge ass cave area that didn't have any lightning variation at all and there were barons and revs sniping on annoying ledges that would take 10 years to kill with just shotty. In cases like this, you're not really up for exploration, especially since the whole areas was damaging blood with some rocks you could stand on (without any chance of sniping the monsters from the rocks of course).

After finally finding that damn SSG and the yellow key I headed to the YK switch. The switch is located on top of a cliff with a 128 drop down to the bars that gets lowered when the switch is hit. I hit the switch and what happens? 6 demons teleport in, whitout any chance in hell of reaching me. Solution? Run past them, I haven't got all day.

And what is this? I've been picking up rocket ammo since the fucking starting room and I haven't even seen a rocket launcher in 20 minutes! Instead I've been forced to shotgun barons and cacodemons in chokepoints where they haven't been able to hurt me. And that is also funny: If you're gonna throw 6 caco's at the player, make sure you have a half-opened door with block monster lines so the player can just run into the room and SLOOOOWLY shotgun them to death. This is nuts.

I've been running around and activating doors by wr lines (WHY?) for a while now and I'm starting to sense the blue key somewhere here. I emerge out from another 64 unit wide cave and gets introduced to a circular room with a cricle in the middle and platforms with barons, revs, cahingunners and imps around it. Hmm, I can't seem to kill them from inside the cave, autoaim doesn't reach that far! I'm gonna try and run out and kill them. I run out, firing my normal shotgun (SSG spread is ass) and nothing happens, no one dies in 10 tries and there's no cover what so ever. Fuck it, I dont't have time for this either and it's not like they're gonna follow me around the rest of the map, they're stuck on their ledges.

Taking an elevator down now, wonder what's next. And sweet heavens, a decent build up! Mancubus, revenants and demons facing you right away! Better run and figure out a strategy while dodging projectiles. O, look, a cave.... I step into the cave and a stair leads me up to the BK which is guarded by 2 hell knights that can't harm because a fucking switch is blocking both my and their view. And what's that? Cacodemons are approaching behind the hell knights. And guess what? They can't harm me either. 4 minutes of chaingunning later I walk down the stairs again to take care of the mancubus and revenants, they are just running around like fucking jerks trying to get inside the cave. Lucky for me I actually have some cells so I can just stand inside the cave and take them out one by one by doing peek-a-boo shots.

After backtracking I aactually find the rocket launcher. I pick it up and the display shows 86 fucking rockets. Now that's a reward. I've almost killed everything with the normal shotgun anyway so why would I need this now? I activate some stupid rrock platforms that take me across some lava and BOOM. A rocket in the face from a cyberdemon. I always play without sound, so it's my own fault. 35 minutes of my life wasted. The map is damn HUGE and all for no reason.

This map alone makes the whole community chest series look stupid. I can't understand how anyone could let a map like this pass the quality control.

End of rant.

I believe the only CC wad with quality control is CC4. Of course there are maps that won't make everyone happy, but the execution is on top level. CC1-3, on the contrary, have loads of garbage and mediocre stuff, plus bugs of varying seriousness, up to gamebreaking ones. I can see your point clearly, when I bothered replaying CC1-3 some time ago I decided it's just a waste of time and stopped. I advise playing pc_cp instead, of course it has its flaws, but there are some gems and solid maps to be found as well, and their number is higher than that of CC1-3. Just don't bother with No Hope For Peace bonus episode.

Currently on map 15 of the original Hell Revealed. I absolutely adore hardcore Doom Wads and trucking through them on UV is a blast. Having been through SoD, Scythe 2, Sunder and AV its a real pleasure to go back to where it all started - though goddamn these levels can look pretty bare bones! (I have to giggle a bit when i read hr.txt and it states the levels are 'highly detailed').

City in the Clouds was an absolute nightmare to work out originally, like Downtown was swallowed by Hell and thrown back again for you to suffer in. The simplicity of its design is its strength however, I've never been the biggest fan of wads with 45+ minute levels and mad switch hunts (good god Epic 2's map 28 was the death of me).

How does HR2 shape up to its predecessor? I'm looking to go onto that once I've finished with this.

Currently on map 15 of the original Hell Revealed. I absolutely adore hardcore Doom Wads and trucking through them on UV is a blast. Having been through SoD, Scythe 2, Sunder and AV its a real pleasure to go back to where it all started - though goddamn these levels can look pretty bare bones! (I have to giggle a bit when i read hr.txt and it states the levels are 'highly detailed').

City in the Clouds was an absolute nightmare to work out originally, like Downtown was swallowed by Hell and thrown back again for you to suffer in. The simplicity of its design is its strength however, I've never been the biggest fan of wads with 45+ minute levels and mad switch hunts (good god Epic 2's map 28 was the death of me).

How does HR2 shape up to its predecessor? I'm looking to go onto that once I've finished with this. (on the same note, when are you going to do a review of HR2 kmxexii? - I love your work).

dannebubinga said:

I just launched c-chest3.wad to waste some time. I warped to map20 beause I haven't played beyond the first 15 maps or so.

That's a shame for me - I always considered CC3MAP18 one of my best works. Saying that, I do find a lot of big megawads difficult to replay, as I either remember the levels well enough that there's no surprises or find there's at least one map that is just bad enough to mean I'd rather quit than push through.

Some sort of "best of" compilation for the Community Chest series would be very welcome, come to think of it... Although there might be some subjectivity there. Maybe an idea for a thread?

Phobus said:

That's a shame for me - I always considered CC3MAP18 one of my best works.

Is this some kind of promotion to make me play your map? I can give you a fine review here if you want.

dannebubinga said:

Is this some kind of promotion to make me play your map? I can give you a fine review here if you want.

It wasn't, but it is now :p

Wordy said:

(on the same note, when are you going to do a review of HR2 kmxexii?

playing stuff like HR2 or Combat Shock needs an extra bit of gumption on my part, which is why 20x6 and swtw are not yet on the site (working up the courage / self disgust with not doing it already). i'll get around to it eventually, "newschool" slaughter is a fun and different experience, I love the huge fights and figuring out stuff like crowd control

Kama Sutra. I'm on around map 21 or so. I guess I missed the secret levels because I just plain suck at finding them. It's okay I guess, but not much that really sticks out as "wow, that's cool".

I just finished MassMouth 2, i think. something tells me there's more than one ending to this.

kmxexii said:

playing stuff like HR2 or Combat Shock needs an extra bit of gumption on my part, which is why 20x6 and swtw are not yet on the site (working up the courage / self disgust with not doing it already). i'll get around to it eventually, "newschool" slaughter is a fun and different experience, I love the huge fights and figuring out stuff like crowd control

Dude, SWTW is only 2 levels plus an intro map. Do it. Doooo eeeeeeeeet.

Myself, I'm currently halfway through the final map of SWTW, and wow, just WOW.

Salt-Man Z said:

Dude, SWTW is only 2 levels plus an intro map. Do it. Doooo eeeeeeeeet.

Myself, I'm currently halfway through the final map of SWTW, and wow, just WOW.

I will, but I'm on a Newstuff warpath. Speaking of which, calling all thread readers - be a BAD DUDE that writes Newstuff reviews!

dannebubinga said:

I haven't played beyond the first 15 maps or so. And here's a rant...

good to hear you're feeling inspired, I think a map20 tribute is exactly what sunlust needs :)

Over the weekend I finished off Swim With the Whales, specifically, the second half of the final map. That final battle was insane, but at the time I didn't realize it was the last one, and then when it was over I couldn't get back to the rest of the map which made me sad. (There seemed like so much more left to do! There was at least a black key, and the automap lead me to believe there was a yellow key somewhere...)

On a lark, I also loaded up Vrack 3 and played it in one sitting (tons of saves as usual, but I never left the computer for the not-quite-two-hours it took me.) I'd played the first two earlier this year, but wow! this one might be my favorite. Much of that comes from the fact that I actually got 100% kills on this one (HMP) which was never an option for me in the other two.

I'm currently trying to finish off Reverie and Whitemare 2. Reverie I had gotten stumped on the first secret level for like half a year, so this time I just IDCLEVed to MAP32 and have played up to MAP21 now. Great stuff. Whitemare 2 I started with the Megawad Club a couple months back, and I made through MAP20 (Gloominarch's Realm) before ragequitting the whole thing. But most of the levels other than that one were pretty good, so I picked it up again starting at MAP21. After a handful of maps I have to say, man, these are pretty brutal on continuous play; I'm usually exiting each level below 25% health, and the first half of each map feels like a struggle just to survive. It's kind of a fun way to play, though.

Gave Arcadia Demade a play last night. Wow, what a great atmospheric level! Sprawling and somehow simultaneously spacious and claustrophobic at the same time. Combat was sparse enough that it was always a bit of a surprise when it cropped up. Fantastic.

I found the "secret exit" at the end, where the automap says "Coming 2012: Then". Has anyone heard anything more about this?

Finished Kama Sutra last night. It had some fun levels but was rather "meh".

Started Back to Saturn X today. I had played it before, don't remember if I ever finished it. I have one major gripe. My version is tagged on map 04 with two secrets. I watched two UV-max runs on yt and there is only one secret on theirs. Is mine an updated version or what? I'm pretty sure you have to archvile jump to get that 2nd "NEW" secret.

Vilejumping isn't required for secret-getting there, no. The second secret was added in a later release when doing some other revision around the area in question.

Lately I've been playing Duel32 on a near-daily basis until my WASD hand gets sore in an attempt to stop sucking at it.
That aside, I've also played a bit of 32 in 24 diet as well as Lunatic.

EDIT: Oh, and the first 2 Turbocharged Arcades. Can't believe I almost forgot those!

esselfortium said:

Vilejumping isn't required for secret-getting there, no. The second secret was added in a later release when doing some other revision around the area in question.

Oh cool, thanks. I found it. I completed the first episode and halted there. I'm not sure if I want to do the rest. The last two levels became quite tedious with way too many paths leading to the same areas. Easy to get confused with such non-linearity.

Edit: Fired it back up and did three more maps. It's technically brilliant, but having to find secrets to get 100% kills is a real downer and some maps take a looooonnnnnggggg time to complete.

I'm currently playing doom2 the way id did. About 16 levels in, so far so good, the secret map "Vorticon" was really, really weird. Is it based off some old school game or something?

Replaying Speed of Doom, currently on map26. Quite enjoying it but here are some complaints about stuff that annoyed me:

03 - It has a good start with running past the imps and the traps that follow are generally nice, but what the hell happens after the silver bars? Nothing but tedious situations with tough monsters standing in front of you, and all you have is a shotgun and very little plasma. Yeesh.

16 - Nice opening and ending but wtf is inbetween? Just a circle with monsters spawning. Incredibly boring and fillerish: you just run in circles and shoot and that's it. I don't know, maybe the map is a lot more fun if you play it UV-Max style (silent start, get the BFG and only then awake the spawning monsters) but I'm not going to do that in casual play.

20 - Died a few times in both side areas and all that replaying made me realize that the monster placement everywhere else is quite uninspired. You get very large areas to move in and big groups of monsters that you can very easily handle by either circlestrafing around them (the start) or gradually moving away a bit (the next fight, most of the encounters in the main area). Also the final area looks quite lame and jokewad-like with all these excessive barons.

21 - Ewww, just killing the first two viles bored me to death (punch, hide, punch, hide...), I don't see any way to have fun here. A map for fans of ammo conservation I guess.

23 - Maybe my strategy just isn't good enough but I get a good start more rarely than I would be comfortable with. What I do is pick up everything at the spawn, then go for the SSG and CG, then go jump in lava and take the radiation suit, then get the cacos infighting with the spider, then try to get to the BFG. Quite a lot of stuff can go wrong here, resulting in me either having too low health or just dying. Also getting to the rocket launcher was extremely scary (fighting one cyberdemon with another shooting from the exit).

32 - Another start that seems too luck based to me: getting through all the cybers and jumping to the green sphere was painful to perform. When I would finally succeed I would worry so much about failing that I couldn't play well enough. That's my problem with difficult starts overall.

Lol, raged from 27 so much that I freaked out and had to go to /idgames and give the wad 0 stars, sorry xd.