• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Doom - Evil Unleashed 3.5

Inferno – Part 5

-

It looked like some sort of Cathedral; only it was filled with satanic symbols instead of Christian crucifixes. An unnatural darkness hung over the place and evil in all its forms seemed to be in the air around the building. Everything, even the air seemed to hate me here. In turn, I promised myself to justify this place’s hatred towards me by wrecking a little havoc here.

I was exhausted, but determined to carry on. I was not only exhausted from my physical exertions, but the souls of the damned yelling accusations and pleas for mercy in my head wore me down mentally too.
“You assholes deserve to be here in Hell – a lot of you were probably terrorists or something just as bad! You shoulda been good to your fellow human beings, but you just behaved like total morons and now you pay the price!” I whispered doggedly directed at the many voices in my head.

I tightened my grip on the shotgun and stepped forward towards the huge, dark building in front of me

-

*Zzapp!*

I found myself teleported to a rather dark area. I heard a doorway open up behind me and spun around to see a goat demon towering above me. It roared and raised its large hand to throw its gooey bolts at me, but I ran around it and behind a red marble wall before it could throw the bolt at me.
I retrieved the BFG 9000 and prepared it for action.
Only a hundred energy cell units left! I thought desperately. I had been too happy to use it at the last place and not been concerned enough about the ammo count.

The huge demon came stomping around the corner, only to be annihilated by a blast of green plasma. “That’s what you get from me fiendface!” I yelled hoarsely at its corpse.

Now when the demon was dead, I gave myself time to study my surroundings. It was too dark to get the full impression of the large hall I was in, but I got the feeling that there were at least a hundred meters to the ceiling. A horrible stench of rot hit me in the face as I sniffed to breathe the harsh air.
My eyes fell on a figure lying on the floor. My first impression was that it was the corpse of a human marine, as I thought I saw a camouflage pattern, but I dismissed the thought almost immediately.
You’re tired! I told myself inside my mind. Too damn tired! You’re making stuff up. For a moment, I felt more like just giving up and surrender my soul than anything, but I fought the spectral influence of the damned souls disturbing my mind and won.
Readying my shotgun, I went closer to closer inspect the shape.

To my surprise, it actually turned out to be a marine – a human marine!
I searched the body and with a muffled cry of satisfaction, I withdrew an unused light ampflication visor from one of the corpse’s equipment bags in his base belt. I quickly attached the visor to my faceplate and activated it.
Suddenly, everything went clearer and the place looked as if there was an invisible sun inside the hall, shining on everything.

The hall definitely looked like the interior of a sort of cathedral, but unlike an actual cathedral, this place was filthy beyond comprehension. I saw a large upside-down crucifix made of red glass hanging on one of the end walls, and there were more of these around of the other walls, only smaller.
On the largest crucifix on the end wall, hung a horrendously mutilated human body – the guy had been tortured so much that his features were all but gone, leaving only shredded flesh and he had ultimately been crucified.

I looked around and found more human corpses. They had all been marines and they had been armed with plasma guns, rocket launchers and to my joy, I discovered that one of them had a chain gun. I quickly swapped my plasma rifle for the chain gun and transferred the remaining energy cells from the other plasma guns to my BFG – I found it best to use a chain gun instead of a plasma rifle now that I had the BFG 9000.

I saw more corpses of humans. These hung on pikes. I went closer to the nearest corpse, hoping to find more supplies on it.

The impaled marine suddenly moved!

Surprised I stepped back and raised my shotgun. The impaled marine had jerked his left foot and moved his head a little. He’s still alive! I thought and went closer to help him. I went around to see his face. The man’s face was gone! There was only a mess of gory flesh to see where his face had been and a large hole where his forehead had been. I could safely say that he was dead. But how come he had moved? Was I hallucinating again?
The corpse moved again and then it dawned on me. Evil souls where trying to possess the corpse! And I suddenly remembered that I had seen this frightening sight before on Deimos, but worn down as I was, my memory wasn't working so well anymore.

I could hear them in my mind. Howling, screaming with anger and frustration, roaring. A thought entered my tired mind. I realized that this could be the explanation for the former humans. The former humans were no doubt humans who had been killed in action. They had then been “repaired” somehow and possessed by a spiritual demon of some sort. I found that that was a reasonable explanation for it. But that didn't do me much good.

The corpse yielded nothing useful, so I staggered away from it. I realized how awfully tired I was and I could hear inhuman screams in the distance, telling me that there were still lots of demons here. I needed to rest, but I couldn't allow myself the needed rest and I stubbornly carried on.

-

I found myself materialized in a small courtyard. In front of me a large group of “pinkys” stood with their backs on me, all with their heads lowered to the ground and pointing at the same. Slightly puzzled, I stepped off the teleportation platform. And then I heard it. A disgusting set of gulping and chewing sounds along the sound of teeth gnashing, as if something was munching on something. This was where I realized what the pink creatures where doing. They were eating a corpse! Just like the first of these beasts I had encountered on Phobos had been doing.

I went closer as stealthily as my sore legs allowed me. I could see a pile of shredded flesh and bones. I noticed the ruined remnants of an armor vest and bloodstained pieces of green cloth with a camouflage pattern - doubtless what remained of a dead human marine. One of the monsters tore out a huge mass of intestines, before it threw its head backwards and swallowed the organs. My eye caught something else which was a far more pleasant discovery:
A black box with a red cross on it – a berserk pack! This soldier had apparently scooped up a berserk pack on Deimos but he had been killed here, before he managed to retrieve the pack and use it.
This was a major stroke of good luck to me as it could boost my strength enough to carry on a few more hours.

I had to run past these things to get to it. I pulled out my rocket launcher and aimed the gun at the ones on the far right, before I launched the rocket. One demon was ripped apart in the explosion and two of them next to it roared in agony as they where thrown to the ground by the force of the explosion.
I threw the launcher on the ground and ran forward.
The other monsters spun around. Their eyes glowed with hellish hatred as they saw me and charged. I nimbly avoided them, bowed down and grabbed the black pack as I ran past it, then headed for the teleporter.

I arrived back in the huge hall with all the corpses.

I quickly gave myself the injection and the wild sensation of some sort of enormous adrenaline rush came over me, refreshing me enormously. Now I felt ready to take on hordes of demons. Deep down, I knew that the refreshing effect was only temporarily. The boost in strength and physical persistence would eventually fade away, leaving me just as tired as I had just been, but at least it would keep me going for at least two more hours.

A loud sizzle sounded behind me and I spun around. A burly bull demon charged straight at me. I swung my brass knuckled fist at it and it stumbled to the floor by the force of my punch. It got back up and shook its large head. Its right eye had been squashed and blood flowed from the hole. I hammered my fist into its forehead and it staggered backwards, but charged me again only to get its ruined face squashed like a tomato by my bloodstained combat boot, slamming right into its ugly mug.

Two more demons came out of thin air and tried to rush me, but despite their superhuman strength and size, I was as good as invincible against them with my boosted strength.

Great work as usual.

Just a question though- does the light amplication visor in your story just run out of batteries and our hero needs to find them, or are they just one-use items?

I know the latter fits in with Doom more, but the former sounds more plausible. Perhaps he could use the visor more often and see more horrific visions and acts that can't be seen with the naked eye (replays of people's deaths/mutilations, grinning distorted corpses, demonic figures etc) perhaps?

Livo said:

Just a question though- does the light amplication visor in your story just run out of batteries and our hero needs to find them, or are they just one-use items?

I know the latter fits in with Doom more, but the former sounds more plausible. Perhaps he could use the visor more often and see more horrific visions and acts that can't be seen with the naked eye (replays of people's deaths/mutilations, grinning distorted corpses, demonic figures etc) perhaps?

Both in a way - they use batteries that run out, but the Doomguy can't find any new batteries (the other marines have used them all).

Time for Spikey to be critically constructive :) Here we go...

"You shoulda been good to your fellow human beings, but you just behaved like total morons and now you pay the price!” I whispered doggedly directed at the many voices in my head.

The exclamation mark suggests he's shouting, despite saying afterwards that he was whispering. Was a tad confusing.

Suddenly, everything went clearer and the place looked as if there was an invisible sun inside the hall, shining on everything.

I always thought that night-vision goggles simply amplified the reflected light in an area. The marine would see everything in bright shades of green... however, i can let this pass as we've no idea where technology's heading :)

Evil souls where trying to possess the corpse!

I thought the bodies we're twitching (remaining electrical current in the body powering the nerves after death and causing minute spasms)? But, again, this is Hell, and anything can happen >:P

Ah well, minor points considering the strength of the overall writing. Nice work dudey, can't wait to see your interpretation of 'Gate to Limbo' (yes, i know u don't like the map :))

Time for Spikey to be critically constructive :) Here we go...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You shoulda been good to your fellow human beings, but you just behaved like total morons and now you pay the price!” I whispered doggedly directed at the many voices in my head.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The exclamation mark suggests he's shouting, despite saying afterwards that he was whispering. Was a tad confusing.

No, the exclamation mark indicates that he's 'spitting' out the words in a "loud", aggressive whisper, like he's accusing the damned.

quote:

I always thought that night-vision goggles simply amplified the reflected light in an area. The marine would see everything in bright shades of green... however, i can let this pass as we've no idea where technology's heading :)

Hm yeah, I never really knew how to pull off a good description of the goggles, so I just came up with something - I might alter this in my special edition of the story.

quote:
Evil souls where trying to possess the corpse!

I thought the bodies we're twitching (remaining electrical current in the body powering the nerves after death and causing minute spasms)? But, again, this is Hell, and anything can happen >:P

Ah well, minor points considering the strength of the overall writing. Nice work dudey, can't wait to see your interpretation of 'Gate to Limbo' (yes, i know u don't like the map :))

Hmm, I always found the twitching corpses interesting and hellish, but the only explanation I could come up with was that there was a hellish influence on these corpses as they seemed positively dead. So I interpreted it as souls trying to take over the corpse, but failing because the body is impaled (and thus cannot be "healed"), resulting in the corpse jerking. Anyway, I have good news for you: I AM intending to describe E3M7 (that I hate the map, doesn't mean that I can't derive interesting story aspects from it).

Heh, i'd already guess that u didn't like it when u mentioned your dislike of harmful floors (see Underworld map05 - i kinda based the idea on e3m7 :)).

I can just picture a scene with Doomguy being knocked into the blood by a Lost Soul, the blood subsequently eating thru his armour. You could build up a nice tense scene with a feeling of desperation with this (kinda like drowning, you know? You havn't been drowned? Oh well, maybe not :))

Forgive me. After 20hours without sleep u start to hit the 'hyperactive' stage...