Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomGuy1588

Master Levels on Zdoom

I'm not really trying to be that guy but I cant find any useful tutorial anywhere online about how to get the master levels to run on Zdoom. I'm currently running the latest version of Zdoom and the reason Id like to run Master Levels is so I can play it in my native screen res(1920x1080). I'm not real knowledgeable on how to program for Zdoom and so I need some very layman help. Also if it makes a difference I purchased and installed Master Levels from steam.

So if I have the doom2.wad in the wad selection window of zdoom on startup I can drag and drop each of the 20 iwads in the selection window to play on zdoom?

So long as ZDoom knows where to find doom2.wad (you can set a search path in the .ini file) you should be set.

DoomGuy1588 said:

Can you post a example on how to add the master levels of doom 2 under the doom2autoload line in the ini file.

It's easier if you just download the ML interface, and then select the pk3 file and the doom2 iwad, and drag-and-drop in zdoom or gzdoom (both). Then select doom 2 as iwad, and you're done.

EDIT: Here's the launcher: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=utils/frontends/zdmlmenu.zip

But idk how to do that I'm a noob compared to you guys I need something more descriptive. I'd really really appreciate to the help.

You need to only drag and drop a single file on top of your desktop shortcut of your zdoom.exe. Your desktop shortcut should reference all the necessary IWADS, PWADS and demo recording specifications you need. Read the readme documents in your zdoom package.

-Download the latest ZDoom or the latest GZDoom. Unzip.
-Download this and unzip. There will be a pk3 file. Cut and paste in your G/ZDoom folder (where your G/ZDoom exe is).
-Put a copy of your Doom 2 iwad in your G/ZDoom folder, along with a copy of your Master Level's iwads (IMPORTANT: follow the instructions on the ML launcher to create a "playable set of maps" out of your ML iwads; after you unzip, read the txt files).

EDIT: Also, what TheCupboard said.

There is a way to compile all the Master Level levels into a single WAD that can be detected by ZDoom and then added to the menu when you load a game (just like the episode screen for Ultimate Doom). That's what I have. Annoyingly I can't remember which program I used to create the 'master.wad'. I'll have a look around and see if anything jogs my memory or perhaps someone else can save the day first... :)

EDIT: I think it was this tool (Unofficial Master Levels for Doom 2 Patch):

http://maniacsvault.net/projects

It's made by Blzut3 and is really easy to use. Then you can play all the Master Levels as one big WAD. :)

DoomGuy1588 said:

Can you post a example on how to add the master levels of doom 2 under the doom2autoload line in the ini file.

I wouldn't add them to [Doom2.Autoload], since they'll then be loaded even when you don't want to play them.

Zed said:

Put a copy of your Doom 2 iwad in your G/ZDoom folder

Not necessary if Doom2 was purchased on Steam, G/ZDoom (amongst others) should be able to find the IWAD in his Steam folder. I sort of forgot that.

@DoomGuy1588 - If you don't mind downloading another source port, Eternity Engine has built-in support for the Master Levels wads. I could talk you through setting that up if you're interested.

I downloaded the master levels patch and compiled them into one wad and I got it to work. The only issue I currently have is when I select the doom 2 wad in the launch window of gzdoom it doesn't give me the option to select which episode after I select new game, Hell on Earth or Master Levels. However if I double click on the master.wad it launches gzdoom and then I select doom II when I go to new game and it lets me select which episode. Is there any way to fix this so I can just launch the gzdoom.exe and go about selecting doom 2 wad to get to master levels without having to select the wad specifically to get to it.

And the patch compiled them with Doom Classic play order can anybody list what order that is for reference?

Glad you've got it working. To have it in the menu all you have to do is add the following in your ZDoom config file under the following:

[Doom2 Autoload]
Path=c:\Doom\Essential\master.wad

The path c: Doom Essential master.wad is where I keep mine. If you wanted to keep it simple (or if you don't know the path) just drop the master.wad file into your ZDoom folder and type this instead:

Path=master.wad

If you ever make or come across nerve.wad (No Rest For the Living) you can just do the same for that WAD too. For example:

Path=master.wad
Path=nerve.wad

That's what I've got and now when I start a new Doom 2 game I have the option of Doom 2, No Rest for the Living or Master Levels all in the menu. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you guys so much! Last question though. My control options save as well as my character profile. How can I save my gameplay defaults because I like to have crouch, run and open view turned off but every time I launch the game I have to switch them off again.