Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Slade problems. (Hey! Look! Another problem!)

I've been trying to put this off for as long as possible, but I just can't anymore.

I have... no idea how to open Slade. The filename I downloaded is called slade_310_b4.7z and my computer doesn't recognize it. What do I do?

So far, the only way for me to use new resources is to either map for Final Doom or to copy-paste a wad with new textures and save my map into the copy. (No, it's not illegal since I never release any of my wads and won't until I can get this cleaned up)

And I've tried XWE (that was the first thing I tried). Shell errors. 'nuff said.

So... yeah. Help?

Thanks, guys! I now have another problem: I've tried to import one of the skies from Epic 2 into one of my WADs, as well as three of the obstacle items' sprites (Stalagmite, Tall techno pillar, Grey tree and Large brown tree), but in Slade they appear black and white and weirdly desaturated.

RSKY1 (As I renamed it)

SMITA0

TRE1A0

TRE2A0

ELECA0

Oddly enough, the sky turned out fine ingame. But the graphics of the other things remain exactly as they were before. Why? :/

It's better to add a new markers P_START and P_END and place your RSKY1 patch between them. For sprites you must add markers S_START and S_END and place sprites between them.
Markers are empty lumps in wad.
Actually pathes can be placed in wad wherever you want. But sprites must be placed between markers.

Your palette is set to "Existing/Global", but you haven't selected a base resource. That won't work, as Slade doesn't know which game's palette to use. Either select Doom's palette manually, or select your DOOM2.WAD file as your base resource.

Note that if your graphics are already using Doom's palette, they'll work just fine in the game, even though Slade can't display them correctly. However, if your graphics don't already use Doom's palette and you're using Slade to convert them, you need to tell Slade which palette to use or the conversion won't work at all.

Ok, thanks guys. Before you replied, I tried fixing things myself and somehow caused GLBoom to crash whenever I started it XD (I have literally no idea how, I didn't edit the original IWADs or anything) but thanks so much! GLBoom runs perfectly again. Happiness is returned. Hurrah hurrah hurray.

Ok, sorry for all of these.

So, I put some of the Epic 2 textures between markers TX_START and TX_END and they don't show up in Doom Builder. Here:

Help? :D

If you're making a map for Doom 2 or Boom format, you must place textures between P_START and P_END, then select them, click with right mouse button and select Ad to TEXTUREx. If there's no TEXTUREx lumps, program will ask you how to add them. Select something like "Make texture lump based on main resource" and when you'll see textures in game and in DB2.

Sorry about all these Slade problems, but I'm just getting into it. :)

So, I tried to add the WFALL textures (I know, they're animated, I'm stupid) and then received errors from Chocolate Doom talking about a bad transition from WFALL1 to WFALL4, and a bad cycle from GLBoom.
So, I deleted the patches via Slade before I removed them from the map, and now the level is fucked.

I can't play it at all as the errors remain.

Help? Pretty please? :P

You could just post in your previous thread.

Open your texture1 lump and look at how WFALL1 and WFALL4 are placed. Animation works when WFALL1 is higher than WFALL4 and other animation textures are between them.

It supposed to be like this:
WFALL1
WFALL2
WFALL3
WFALL4

And there should be nothing between them.

It's also worth noting that you can make longer (or shorter) animations using textures with arbitrary names. Only the first and the last texture names matter.

WFALL1
BLAH1
BLAH2
BLAH3
BLAH4
BLAH5
BLAH6
WFALL4

Joe667 said:

So, I deleted the patches via Slade before I removed them from the map, and now the level is fucked.

Did you also remove their entries from the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps? Best practice is to do that before deleting patches.

Ok, I have another one. Thanks for being patient, guys! It's appreciated!

So, I did stuff, blah blah blah, I entered some UDMX and Epic 2 textures (specifically, IIVSTAR0-IIVSTAR3 from UDMX and RSKY3 (which is a lot longer than most skies) from Epic 2), and now GLBoom crashes with the error:

R_TextureNumForName: RSKY3 Not found

What's gone wrong? Is it because my RSKY1 was originally called RSKY3 before I renamed it? Thanks in advance.

Joe667 said:

What's gone wrong? Is it because my RSKY1 was originally called RSKY3 before I renamed it?

Most likely. If the patch is still showing in PNAMES/TEXTURE1 as RSKY3, you have a little more renaming to do.

I'm not trying to say that posting those here is wrong, but it would be a lot better if you first read some SLADE guides over the Internet and even search for some videos with the information you want and then come back here to ask any of us.

Here, I drop this link for you;

https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/wiki

This is the official SLADE wiki. There you can find documentation about SLADE's installation and other handy goodies like this. For now there are only 3 tutorials (I'll probably write some myself later), but you can also check out the forum;

http://mancubus.net/forums/index.php?board=40.0

Or even better, if someone can't help you, you can also contact sirjuddington himself;

http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=contact

You're welcome! ^_^

TIP; Please don't post too many screenshots without adding them to a spoiler, it lags my browser a lot.

Quaker540 said:

Or even better, if someone can't help you, you can also contact sirjuddington himself;

He also has an account on these forums.

TIP; Please don't post too many screenshots without adding them to a spoiler, it lags my browser a lot.

Unfortunately, spoiler tags don't work that way here.