Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Doom [4] reveal first impressions

Iv'e just never heard of a reveal where not even a picture was leaked! Whatever they did...they did an exceptional job of keeping it from the public.

FLAW_88 said:

Did everyone's pockets get raided at the door or something? Cell phones taken away?!

That's exactly what happened. All recording devices were taken at the door, and the QuakeCon volunteers were watching the crowd intently. I believe one member over at NeoGAF said someone near him tried to record the Doom demo, but he was caught after about 20 seconds and kicked out.

ChickenOrBeef said:

That's exactly what happened. All recording devices were taken at the door, and the QuakeCon volunteers were watching the crowd intently. I believe one member over at NeoGAF said someone near him tried to record the Doom demo, but he was caught after about 20 seconds and kicked out.

Goddamn!

Well i just thought of this. If they aren't even ready to show the world any gameplay muchless even a screenshot until next year, then I guess that means this beta that a lot of us have won't be coming out until at least after that.

DooM_RO said:

Was the shotgun as good or better as the ones from RAGE and TNO?

Haven't yet played TNO, but in terms of function and speed, the shotgun was comparable to the one in Rage. A bit faster with the pump action, if I recall, and more of a heavy bang to it.

FLAW_88 said:

Well i just thought of this. If they aren't even ready to show the world any gameplay muchless even a screenshot until next year, then I guess that means this beta that a lot of us have won't be coming out until at least after that.

Here's hoping they announce something on Doom 3's 10th birthday.

Caffeine Freak said:

Haven't yet played TNO, but in terms of function and speed, the shotgun was comparable to the one in Rage. A bit faster with the pump action, if I recall, and more of a heavy bang to it.

And I'm assuming it simply does more damage as well? The double-barrel shotgun in RAGE would simply knock an enemy to the ground, whereas the Doom 4 double-barrel shotgun apparently will blow enemies into multiple pieces from what I understand?

doom_is_great said:

Did Romero actually attend?

Yep, here's Romero with Kevin Cloud (the last remaining original Doom staff member left at iD Software):

Guest Unregistered account

Also, another one of John's Facebook posts states "On my way to QuakeCon."

doom_is_great said:

Did Romero actually attend?

I talked to him for a few minutes on the last day of Quakecon. He said he missed the Doom reveal.

Captain Toenail said:

Can we add a filter to the forum that changes the words Brutal Doom to something else that's humorous? I used to be indifferent to the mod, but it keeps popping up in every second thread now and it's really annoying. I came here expecting Doom 4 and got BD drama, again.

I'm disappointed and surprised that there's no leaked footage or even pictures, at least from the detailed descriptions it sounds alright. Thanks for those. :)

what if we did a filter that changed brutal doom (and bd or any other words that people would use to get around the filter) to a popular, well liked mod.

like "I hate brutal doom" would become "I hate alien vendetta"

Eh, I'd say he's no worse for wear than the rest of them. I think he was in the reaction video, as I remember seeing someone walk out of the hall with that shirt on, as I made comment about wanting one.

FLAW_88 said:

Withe regards to the alarmingly cagey nature of this so-called "reveal", I see four possibilities:
- The QC demo is fake
- The QC demo is a vertical slice
- They have no faith in the game
- Any/all of the above.

I never signed up for the beta. What we have seen in the last week suggests that my decision is justified and that my time would be better wasted on something else, regardless of how awesome it may have seemed to anyone attending. To pull a stunt like this after a public teaser trailer at E3 just smacks of desperation.

Sorry, I'm not normally this cynical.

The impression I'm getting is that id wants to generate hype for Doom while simultaneously arresting suspicion that shit ain't getting done. Keeping the reveal exclusive is more or less killing two birds with one stone, even if it is unfair to those who couldn't make the journey to QuakeCon. Being that I witnessed the reveal first hand, it would be ridiculous to imply that it's fake.

GoatLord said:

The impression I'm getting is that id wants to generate hype for Doom while simultaneously arresting suspicion that shit ain't getting done.

That's exactly what Pete Hines said: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-reboot-unlikely-to-be-seen-again-this-year/1100-6421227/

'In the wake of the QuakeCon reveal, Hines explained the rationale for showing video when the game is too early to be formally revealed: "I really wanted to put something out there that, in a strong way, said, 'id is working on something that we think is really cool.' And we wanted ... to show something to [id Software fans] that gives them the confidence that it is still a viable studio that's doing really cool stuff, that is making a game you want to play, and is treating Doom with the care and respect that you want.

"And now we're going to go away and go back to making the game, but to be able to counter other people talking about us and we're sort of just sitting here staying silent, or operating from this negative space of like, 'Oh, it got rebooted, oh it's in trouble.' All of that stuff just bothered the hell out of me."'

I really hope the Doomguy gets the TNO treatment. Blazko looks EXACTLY like his incarnation from 1992, only in glorious 3D.

Mr. GoatLord and Caffeine Freak, I'd like to know more about the gore/dynamic damage system. Do the gunshot wounds vary in appearance depending on weapon used? Is there similar damage system at the moment, did you find it more dynamic/on par with say, Left 4 Dead (2) ?

@GoatLord/Caffeine Freak

Does the procedural damage work while the enemies are still alive? For example, did the enemies lose chunks of their body and still come at the player?

Thanks!

DooM_RO said:

I really hope the Doomguy gets the TNO treatment. Blazko looks EXACTLY like his incarnation from 1992, only in glorious 3D.

If I remember correctly Blazko had brown hair in wolf 3d. At least he did in the HUD.

LANEGRACABRA said:

Mr. GoatLord and Caffeine Freak, I'd like to know more about the gore/dynamic damage system. Do the gunshot wounds vary in appearance depending on weapon used? Is there similar damage system at the moment, did you find it more dynamic/on par with say, Left 4 Dead (2) ?

From what I recall, the gunshot wounds varied upon what type of weapons were used. The weapons that I saw were the pump shotgun, the double barreled shotgun, the plasma rifle, the rocket launcher and the chainsaw. These all inflicted various types of damage, and could blow chunks/limbs off an enemy, cut straight through him, blow him in half, or blow him to many pieces. I don't specifically recall what type of damage the plasma rifle did, as it was only used briefly. I would describe it closer to the dynamic range of L4D2's dismemberment system, as there seemed to be a wide array of ways enemies could be blasted/torn apart.

@ChickenorBeef: Umm, I'm having trouble recalling if I ever saw that happen. I'm tempted to say it did, but I can't recall a specific instance, and I don't think it happened frequently.

Caffeine Freak said:

@ChickenorBeef: Umm, I'm having trouble recalling if I ever saw that happen. I'm tempted to say it did, but I can't recall a specific instance, and I don't think it happened frequently.

Do you recall any instances where only a limb was blown off? Did it seem like that always killed the enemy?

Goatlord/Caffeine

How did the dynamic/lighting look in comparison to rage and wolfenstein? Wolfenstein on the ps4 and even PC didnt seem to have that great of lighting although I know it was a mutliplat and used tech 5. Rage was similar but mostly baked lighting was expected on ps3/360. Ive read that some review the "id tech 6" powered graphics to be nothing top tier. It's not all about graphics but it can always add to the overall game...they still seem to be working on the engine with the recent hire of Crytek's lead graphics guy.