Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why is Tim Willtis unpopular on Doomworld?

I have noticed that some people on Doomworld don't like Tim Willtis for some reason. I don't get it, he is one of the few people who have been with Id almost from the start (he joined in 1995) and is still there. Why don't people like him?

Mostly due to his troublesome stances on things like DRM and intellectual property. He's more of a business person rather than a game person, from what I can tell.

I like E4M9, but that's about as far as my interest goes. I'm fairly indifferent about id employees as individuals or personalities. Whatever they're all involved with nowadays doesn't seem to appear on my radar.

Membrain said:

Mostly due to his troublesome stances on things like DRM and intellectual property. He's more of a business person rather than a game person, from what I can tell.

Pretty much this. Carmack always considered his creations possible sources for future development. Not just his, but the whole computer scene in general. That's why he released source codes, was against patenting stuff and supported modding.

Willits is not such a person. He is a firm supporter of DRM and based on what I've read his general "philosophy" is closer to Zenimax than the "old-school" id Software.

However, I still think positively about Willits. Ok, so he wants to ensure that his company maximizes its profits - who doesn't? He isn't full of bad will, it's just that Carmack was full of good will and we came to approach it as "normal". Besides, he still holds the office of id's game designer and scold me all you want, but I truly think he did an awesome job with Rage.

Judging by reactions of people who could see it, he's doing really fine with the new Doom as well.

I just don't like some of his PR bullshit, like his whole DRM stance and (reportedly) calling those who buy used games "Thieves." Otherwise I thought his direction on Rage was okay and Doom 4 sounds like it's doing well.

Everything everybody already said. Plus he douches it up at QuakeCon pretty big time. Maybe not quite as badly as Todd Hollenshead used to, though.

I don't care one way or another who he is. The Internet has a hive mind. I can only guess why people don't like him. Perhaps because other than Carmack he's the 2nd face of ID and now the last face of ID. ID hasn't been pleasing Doomers in a long time. Tim is the guy steering the ship.

I've never heard of this DRM issue before this topic. People really hate DRM and they'll never let you forget about it, even if you backup on your stance about it. DRM = worst game evar.

The next time he trades in a vehicle, he should not be a hypocrite and should be sure to give the original manufacturer of his vehicle, which he already paid for in full, a cut of the trade-in money. Because after all, used car sales are killing the auto industry.

Membrain said:

What Membrain said. I also never liked his Doom or Quake maps.

Archi said:

I'm surprised he said COD, BLOPs, Uncharted 2, Rock Band. It makes me think he believes in mainstream's biggest games. Except for Little Big Planet. In a way he's right, but no one wants to hear it, especially when those are all console games for the most part.

geo said:

DRM = worst game evar.

Scoff as you might, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to back that statement up; Diablo III, Assassin's Creed 2 PC, Starforce, the original XBox One vision (lest we forget), Sim City (in fact, Origin as a whole), GFWL (good riddance - seriously, fuck me), season passes and I could keep going. I've lost count of the games I paid hard-earned money for that have been either ruined or rendered unplayable by the failure of aggressive, draconian, so-called "anti-piracy" measures. Starforce actually cost me an entire PC back in the day, so forgive me if I automatically clench my teeth in irrational hatred when I hear anyone saying ANYTHING positive about DRM or copy-protection in general.

And that's why Tim Willits is a cock. Apart from effectively telling QC streamers to go fuck themselves.

scalliano said:

Scoff as you might, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to back that statement up; Diablo III, Assassin's Creed 2 PC, Starforce, the original XBox One vision (lest we forget), Sim City (in fact, Origin as a whole), GFWL (good riddance - seriously, fuck me), season passes and I could keep going. I've lost count of the games I paid hard-earned money for that have been either ruined or rendered unplayable by the failure of aggressive, draconian, so-called "anti-piracy" measures. Starforce actually cost me an entire PC back in the day, so forgive me if I automatically clench my teeth in irrational hatred when I hear anyone saying ANYTHING positive about DRM or copy-protection in general.

And that's why Tim Willits is a cock. Apart from effectively telling QC streamers to go fuck themselves.

With DRM would you be cool if it just checked online once a month? When you load up the game / program have it check. That's what Steam does if you do offline mode for a month.

I have a lot of software that checks every time you load it up. Catch is.... if you're offline it doesn't check. Its a situation where I'll buy it once... but if I want it for my laptop, I'm not paying for 2 copies. So I just turn off the net when I start up the software.

Sim City 2013 = Sim City Social + Cities XL. They should have had a single player + multi player component. I'd wager the multi player component that was the game was where most of the cost went to.

I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to be a developer.

Personally I'm a little against Quake Con streaming. I know we'd all like to see the Doom reveal, but if you see it online, what's the point of going? Plus they probably would make a lot of money selling the exclusive premier to some website. Its all a money making thing.

Maybe if QC had an official stream going then I can understand. Once upon a time people needed press credentials to film or broadcast. Not sure why that was the case, but whatever. Maybe the convention was paid something.

I have no idea what's going on. Just let people do what they want. If anything then people see how cool the convention or any convention looks and they come from all around. Even if they make that sweet Youtube 10%.

geo said:

With DRM would you be cool if it just checked online once a month? When you load up the game / program have it check. That's what Steam does if you do offline mode for a month.

Having to do that is just complete bullshit, it's one of the reasons why I try to avoid Steam, I really wish it wasn't the norm with gaming now, I have very poor internet due to the crappy availability in my area and the updates required which would pop up during/after each check is not something I can do at all.