Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Face23785 said:

(...) I always thought TNT was intended to be played before Plutonia. Not sure if that's the official intention though, since they really don't have much to do with each other.

I guess they're alternate storylines from different universes.

I don't like that weird instrument which plays in the music of MAP02 of Doom 2, the one at the start which kind of sounds like dodo dada dodo dada.

I'm better at Duke Nukem 3D than Doom but the only forum I am part of is a Doom one and not a Duke one...

How embarrassing.

129thVisplane said:

I'm too shy to use the plasma gun whenever I play Doom in public.

What th-??...
Now I've gotten mentally satisfied.

I sort of enjoyed the xbox port more than the pc version, because I had so many memory's replaying it at my grandparents around Christmas.

I try to fight hordes of hell knights, barons, revenants etc with the smaller weapons like an idiot and get myself killed when I've got tons of rockets and cells in my inventory. Unless there's tons of arch-viles, I always feel like I can handle the situation without burning through my rockets and BFG ammo, intending to save it for a potentially more critical situation later in the level. Usually the only reason I use the BFG on a single cyberdemon is to save time. I feel like a total bitch though, and sometimes I will fight him with rockets just to feel like more of a man.

I like Doom a lot more then Doom II.

I like the soundtrack for PSX Doom more then the original.

I also started with PSX Doom, didn't play the PC version until shortly after 2000.

I once killed a Baron with my fist [non berserk] and counted. It took exactly 108 punches to kill.

Drilbur said:

Same here, same here!

I once killed a Baron with my fist [non berserk] and counted. It took exactly 108 punches to kill.

Congrats! Now next step is the Cyberdemon.

I've played through UD, Doom II and Doom 64 multiple times but I've never pistol started anything but the first levels.

I've also never even tried playing through on nightmare.

Drilbur said:

I like Doom 1's pacing much more. No only is the overall game shorter, but each level is shorter. In result, I get sucked in and usually end up beating the whole game in one day. For Doom 2, since it's more of a daunting experience, I usually play it in shorter intervals.

i LOVE the chaingun, it's perfect for stalling foes and precise sniping. plus i once beat a whole Doom II level using just it alone.

Drilbur said:

farthest i ever got was punching the two cacos in the beginning Hell Keep. never counted punches, but then again, i was more focused on avoiding damage at that time.

I love Doom 2's big, tough, but not TOO tough maps. That said, in terms of texturing and music, Doom 1 wins easily.

129thVisplane said:

I'm too shy to use the plasma gun whenever I play Doom in public.

Well, to be honest, I don't 100% hate the chaingun. Is weird, but i enjoy when I use the Chaingun in vanilla-chocolate Doom, but when I use it in modern sourceports (zdoom, zandronum, gzdoom, doomsday, etc) I don't use it.

Doom typically pops up into my head multiple times an hour, every single day, even if I don't play it much during the week (or at all), and I find myself examining everyday architecture and imagining how it might look in the game.

Second that one, GoatLord. I think about the game way too much, even when it's not relevant at all.

I like Doom 2 better because SSG among other things, but the original's music is superior (although II has some cool tracks as well).

The SSG is overpowered and rockets are slightly underpowered. Plasma rifle firing rate should be sped up.

GoatLord said:

Doom typically pops up into my head multiple times an hour, every single day, even if I don't play it much during the week (or at all), and I find myself examining everyday architecture and imagining how it might look in the game.

I still can't get away from the thought how many mappixels high my room is.

TheCupboard said:

The SSG is overpowered

This is exactly what makes it so much fun. In any case, for its slow loading speed, it should be powerful, and overall, more powerful than the normal shotgun.

TheCupboard said:

and rockets are slightly underpowered.

I don't agree necessarily, but perhaps the firing rate could be slower and each rocket made more powerful to adjust. That'd make the rockets seem more, well, rockety. Currently, the RL is a spamming device. Still lots of fun though.

Kotzugi said:

This is exactly what makes it [the SSG] so much fun. In any case, for its slow loading speed, it should be powerful, and overall, more powerful than the normal shotgun.

Exactly. The tradeoff in slow reloading is why it's so powerful. It balances out. I never questioned that.

The rocket launcher had a little delay before firing the rocket in the press release doom... I think, I don't remember too well now

Edit: nope, more like after firing the rocket.

TheCupboard said:

The SSG is overpowered and rockets are slightly underpowered. Plasma rifle firing rate should be sped up.

I agree that generally, rockets aren't quite as useful as the SSG, but god damn they're fun to spam.

On the flipside, the plasma gun is pain in the fucking ass! I'm actually working on an altered version of my DM gun pack where the plasma gun has a slower burst rate, but each ball is more powerful, plus it has the advantage over rockets in that there's no splash damage.

If you guys think the single barrel is that much worse than the SSG, you're not standing back far enough ;)

I feel like Michaelangelo.

I haven't mapped in weeks, because I don't have inspiration, and I want every expanding step to be the best that I can do.