Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geo

Daikatana = $1 on SquareEnix humblebundle

Once again, sorry to sound like an ad, but Daikatana = $1 on humblebundle, because John Romero is about to make you his bitch.

DeusEx too and other games.

Discuss DeusEx, Daikatana, humblebundle and other things.

I find it odd that for an all mighty SquareEnix bundle there is no Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Makes me sad.

You know how you can learn more from a failure then you can a success?

I recommend anyone who has ever considered game design or level design for fun and/or profit to seriously attempting to finish Daikatana. It puts you in the mind set of "how can I make the player feel the exact opposite of what I'm feeling when I play this game?"

Ok, here's an interesting story for those who haven't read Masters of Doom.

In one of Carmack's D&D campaigns there was a legendary sword Daikatana that granted the player who found it immense power...but could also destroy the world (or something like that). Romero said "fuck it" and took the chance, rolled the dice and the world was history. Carmack once said that through D&D you could find out how a person really was.

DooM_RO said:

In one of Carmack's D&D campaigns there was a legendary sword Daikatana that granted the player who found it immense power...but could also destroy the world (or something like that). Romero said "fuck it" and took the chance, rolled the dice and the world was history.

I bet the sword was cursed with the legendary "Invasion of a Million Billion Mutant Frogs" ancient curse.

Maes said:

I bet the sword was cursed with the legendary "Invasion of a Million Billion Mutant Frogs" ancient curse.

Also summons robotic dragonflies.

Drilbur said:

Was that game really as horrible as everyone said it was? I never played it.

Convince someone to buy it, and play it co-op. Better to share the pain than experience it all yourself. Or, just watch these dudes playing it for you.

If excluding retarded first episode enemies, it could have potential to be a least mediocre game. And if it wouldn't be for that goddamn advertising fiasco, it would've been only a drop in the lake.

I enjoyed it back when it first came out but it had zero replay value for me. The first episode with the silly metal frogs and dragonflies is pretty bleaghish. I think the best levels were in the Ancient Greece and Dark Age Norway episodes but going through it all the one time was enough. I know when I played it, I had to make sure the NPC followers never picked up that poison staff or they'd shoot you full of poisonous shit every fucking time.

I played it a few days ago. I thought that it couuldn't be as bad as I am always reading - I ragequit as soon as a turret on the first level insta-killed me.

I just bought this bundle and have an extra Daikatana if anyone actually wants it. Edit: and it's gone.

Although the whole bundle is kinda neat, and I'll probably get it anyway, I'll take your extra key if you still want/have it. I'll give mine too a friend then, so we can share the pain. I know he'll hate it, which will make it better.

I'm about to play it for the first time. I'm one of the few people that lived under a rock and missed the game when it was in its prime. In fact there was a thread about it at some point. I have played the GBC Daikatana game which I feel was a legitimate gem of a game for anyone that likes the old school Zelda games.

I've also heard over the years that its the N64 version of Dai-Katana that's the bad version and the PC version 'isn't that bad.'

Time to play Dai-fucking-Katana. Wish me luck.

I tried it a few years ago. I got stuck near the beginning and rage quit. It didn't have enough potential to offset my impatience.

geo said:

I just realized now that giant sword has the name of another sword in its name.

geo said:

Good-fucking-luck getting through the cyborg frogs. :p

Wow... dialog, dialog dialog. Thankfully its all in cut scene form with voice over. There's no way I'd be able to read all of this. All of the dialog is done between 2 men instead of showing what had happened in the past.

'I'm just a guy teaching kids how to fight with a sword.'

The death scene could have been touching with a closeup on the face, but the graphics weren't the best. So why even have cut scenes. Oh well.

Have you ever experienced a cut scene so long you forget that you're playing a game?

I'll be honest here and say I don't care for the enemy design. Frogs that get you to look down and dragon flies that get you to look up. So you'll never know what's hitting you until you look at your feet and then look up and then at your feet and then look up. At least with the dragon flies you can hear them. The water is green making me think its poison. The frogs spit and poison you. They're green on the green ground. The buzzing of the dragon flies will make anyone go crazy. At least with cacos and imps you didn't need so much aim as toads and dragon flies.

I do like the fact you can destroy the dragonfly eggs before they hatch.

I'm shocked there are such loading times on my PC. Half Life 1 has 0 load times.

Ah there's the turret. Here's the thing when you die it zooms in on your death and not what killed you. Sometimes it'll focus on me dead then a dragon fly will come in and it'll focus on the dragon fly even when the turret killed me. Ah the turret is straight ahead. Silly me for missing that one.

Running by turrets just means more turrets to run by. Cool.

Die wait to load. Die wait to load. Instakilled by turrets.

Ah barely visible fruit is health in this game. Good call. I guess its realistic, but it doesn't stand out and well for the first time I need to focus to pick up something. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

But the health packs you don't need to focus on to pick up. Wow. Consistency.

Maybe its me, maybe I need to lower the difficulty. Well then. I feared unskipable cut scene, but no I hit everything and then hit ESC and I can skip the cut scene. Whew thank goth.

I'm shocked no one tried to remake this game in the source engine.

Dragonflies a literal army of dragon flies coming out of a building. Wow.

LOL The game says you're protected by the megashield in front of the door well don't go into the doorway because it just kills you megashield and all. I get this sense from playing the game that its just saying fuck you player. Don't walk into the laser door when you're too busy looking up and dodging projectiles!

Well down in the moat, it hurts you to drop down, I can't figure out how to climb down the ladder. There are enemies in the water and your ion blaster hurts you if you use it under water. Well fuck.

Holy shit. So you can barely see one green thing from another green things, turrets are virtually instadeath, you need to carefully pick up fruit but not med packs and there's a constant buzzing. Death causes waiting to load even on modern systems.

I didn't get it before when I'd watch youtube play throughs. Now I get it. It is just a big fuck you to anyone that plays.

edit: holy shit that was an hour?

DooM_RO said:

Carmack once said that through D&D you could find out how a person really was.

I have read a lot of articles, blogs and seen vlogs of people playing DayZ and Rust with their real life friends and discovering their friends are psychotic. The writers and vlogers start wondering if this is how their friends really are, but its hidden because of society.

SYS said:

A dollar for Anachronox is more like it.

I am unfamiliar with Anachronox. Explain.

Epic Quake 2 engine based roleplaying game. It's essentially a western JRPG. I highly recommend it.

Ledillman said:

Nice! I guess is time to finally play Daikatana and see what happens

^^^ please tell us how it goes.

geo said:

I am unfamiliar with Anachronox. Explain.

It's the parody of Final Fantasy VII that the world didn't know it needed.

Clonehunter said:

John Romero made me his bitch when I fell through the bridge in Level 1 and the game crashed.

Pillars laser destroy the bridge when the dragonfly army comes out of the tower.

^^^^ Never thought I'd say that when I woke up this morning.

I've been chipping away at this game on and (mostly off) since the last time it was on sale and I've not really had a bad time of it. Much like DNF and Aliens: Colonial Marines, I'd say it's an average game with some decent ideas that was released late to a massive backlash due to overhype and not being perfect. Not a classic, but not the terrible, cancerAIDS-giving experience people make out. I'm actually really enjoying the novelty of managing Superfly whilst I keep my own shit in order AND get us both through the levels. Not sure if it'll be overbearing with the woman in tow as well, mind, but I like it at the moment.

Ledillman said:

Nice! I guess is time to finally play Daikatana and see what happens

Your anus's diameter will be in need of constant monitoring. Wear a pair of steel underwear, just to be on the safe side.

Thief is a great game and definitely worth your time and money. I wonder if this version has the unofficial patch that was released a year or two ago?

Humble bundle is cool but it seems like all their deals area Steam-only now :/