Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Yet another DOOM collectible

It worked when I first posted it. I double-checked it. However, later it stopped working and the image seems to have been removed altogether as I could not find it anymore.

But yes, it's the thing Fraggle linked to - those pillows :D

Awesome. I'm getting this for sure! Perfectly matches the furniture.

Seeing the image of a floppy disk gives me nostalgic feelings of times lost past, when I played games themed around floppies, or used these disks to copy these (older than Doom) games between computers…

I guess that around Doom's time, floppy disks became impractical to install stuff, due to the size.

printz said:

I guess that around Doom's time, floppy disks became impractical to install stuff, due to the size.

I never thought about it, but you're right - it's around Doom's time that the floppies became impractical. 7th Guest had already been released and was a CD-only game. Other games slowly adopted the new medium as well.

By the way - was "The Ultimate Doom" released on floppies or a CD? I'm talking about the original retail release.

Ultimate Doom was released on both CD and floppy.

printz said:

Not impractical enough to deter Microsoft from releasing a set of install floppies (23 disks) for Windows 95. :D

printz said:

Seeing the image of a floppy disk gives me nostalgic feelings of times lost past, when I played games themed around floppies, or used these disks to copy these (older than Doom) games between computers…

The other day I was copying stuff onto a USB, and for whatever reason I thought of how far weve come and what a pain it could be trying to use space wisely on a floppy disc. I remember drawing all over cheap floppies my dad would bring home from work and filling them up with MS paint "doom maps" where I'd use the head of an enemy to represent where it belonged.. Good times, good times.

The thing I find most peculiar about floppies is that one is used as the save icon in most programs, yet they haven't been used for well over a decade, and in a generation, no one will know why the save icon is what it is.

Inkie said:

The thing I find most peculiar about floppies is that one is used as the save icon in most programs, yet they haven't been used for well over a decade, and in a generation, no one will know why the save icon is what it is.

And yet, try to even imagine what could replace it? It's a tough one.

I made this pic a while back while discussing the same thing on IRC. Modern machine, modern OS, modern program, 2014. Floppy disk icons :P

Quasar said:
And yet, try to even imagine what could replace it?

A hard disk? It could vary on different devices and contexts, though, such as a memory stick on a device that depends a lot on these.

I could forsee the down-facing arrow replacing the floppy. After all, downloading and saving are becoming more and more interchangeable among end users. With cloud-based machines, you don't even save to a local drive in most cases.

Quasar said:

And yet, try to even imagine what could replace it? It's a tough one.

Maybe a Jesus icon?

I would have bought two if I hadn't just blown all my money on a new graphics card... Not sure if I'm happy about the card or sad about the cushions... (?)