Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bimlanders

Coverscans, original adverts...

Greetings fellow doom fanatics. Quick introduction: I've been a raving fan of Doom since 1993 at the perfect age of thirteen. I remember firing up shareware Doom for the first time and my jaw hit the floor. It would begin a journey that continues today, as I still consider it to be the greatest game ever made, and still the most fun!

Anyways, I'm looking for high-res box scans for the original Doom and Doom II games, as well as scans for magazine ads for the games. I used to have all of these as originals, but I unwisely lost them years ago due to being so disorganized. I curse myself that I didn't save them.

Awesome stuff. Thank you. I still am looking for an advert for the original Doom that was subtitled "Want to be a hero? Go to hell!" I can't believe I remembered that.

Edit: also, one of the screen shots shows a level from Inferno (I think) and background mountains are from Knee Deep...

Neat, I haven't seen most of those ads before. I got a kick out the mention of "frighteningly realistic graphics".

bimlanders said:

Awesome stuff. Thank you. I still am looking for an advert for the original Doom that was subtitled "Want to be a hero? Go to hell!" I can't believe I remembered that.

I remember seeing a magazine advert that used the headline

"Prepare to meet [or maybe it was beat] thy Doom."

It used the Doom titlepic/boxart image and also had tantalising snippets of information about that game such as it would have monsters on ledges and different light levels. Wooooo! ;)

Enjay said:

"Prepare to meet [or maybe it was beat] thy Doom."

I have heard that an advert for Corridor7: Alien Invasion had the subtitle "Prepare to meet thy Doom", but with "meet" crossed out and
"beat" written above it.

Sorry for the necropost. I've been looking for another really old advertisement for DooM lately (does it say something about our generation when we wax nostalgic for commercials and printed ads?).

The ad said this: "Want to be a hero? Go to hell!"

Anyone know if it exists anywhere out there digitally? Or even remember it? =]

I love these old Doom ad scans - and after a bit of meticulous rummaging, I've found the one you're after:

From Compute! Magazine, issue 167 back in 1994.

I managed to find some of the doom magazine ads on eBay in pristine condition for a surprisingly reasonable price. I have them in a manilla folder in my room. Been meaning to frame them and hang em up around the house.

Doomkid said:

I love these old Doom ad scans - and after a bit of meticulous rummaging, I've found the one you're after:

Until recently, I actually had this exact ad stuck to my wall.

Here's one I found in a PDF'd copy of Compute! issue 168, I'll apologize in advance for the poor quality scan.

(733x1001 - 797k)

GreyGhost said:

Here's one I found in a PDF'd copy of Compute! issue 168, I'll apologize in advance for the poor quality scan.

A very similar artstyle to Doom2's SKY2 there, including the paper thin buildings.

If one looks at the SKY2 texture, you might notice that we can't see the sides of any of the buildings (i.e they are paper thin) and also that there seems to be a lot of jpeg like artefacts around any notable colour changes on the buildings; the fire in the windows and edges of the buildings (these artefacts partially hide that the buildings are paper thin) .

I think a favourite of mine was a double-page spread, close-up image of the cyberdemon's face and arm, taken from the DOOM II box art, with the caption 'Let the obsession begin ...again'.

I love these old adds and collect original adverts and posters. Latest add to my collection is ps1 doom poster. Anyone got original doom 2 cap? I have been looking for that hat for ages

These days its a cesspool of misleading trailers that look 10 times better than the games they represent. (I'm looking at you, TESO.....)

Guest Unregistered account
Crasger said:

Man, we don't have ads for games like that anymore...

No, but I reckon the lights at the end of that Lego Star Wars advert look pretty familiar...