Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GuyMcBrofist

Dubstep Icon of Sin?

Does anyone here think they would be able to make a map with the Icon of Sin, with dubstep music playing, and have its mouth move to the wub wub wub bass? Maybe have the screen shake to the music as well? Is this possible?

Just a thought.

GuyMcBrofist said:

Just a thought.

You're in the shark tank now. What else ya got?

Alright alright...

The player could be fighting on one of those colorful dance floors. Anytime there's a drop the ground would shake and stun all the players and monsters for a few seconds. There could be a light show coming from the IoS's eyes made up of refracted lasers casting geometric shapes all over the place.

Basically if you've ever been to a dubstep concert. That. Except in Doom.

With a heavily scripted sequence it may be possible, however you would need to have the scripts be at exact times in the "song" where the drop of the base would be. This method however would be easily messed up (and desync, making the entire effect worthless) if one were to simply pause the game.

From the title I expected a mash-up Youtube song from Icon of Sin samples.

mrthejoshmon said:

With a heavily scripted sequence it may be possible, however you would need to have the scripts be at exact times in the "song" where the drop of the base would be. This method however would be easily messed up (and desync, making the entire effect worthless) if one were to simply pause the game.

Well that's no surprise. I liked the idea though, enough to want to share it.

printz said:

From the title I expected a mash-up Youtube song from Icon of Sin samples.

This... I like this...

I'd love to see some music-synchronised fights in Doom. I actually imagine them sometimes while listening to especially cool music: I see the player flying through space while dodging projectiles and letters from the karaoke, also on the background you see the singer dancing and throwing stuff at you, or just smiling and saying that you will die soon.

mrthejoshmon said:

This method however would be easily messed up (and desync, making the entire effect worthless) if one were to simply pause the game.

Actually, I seem to remember a trick in Doomworld Forums 3 where the music would stop when you paused the game. Mind you this was for a cutscene and was probably a sound played by a script rather than as music, so it'd probably be difficult to implement.

I would use acs in doom in hexen format. If your song is an mp3 or whatever, you would need the script to repeatedly start the song over from the beginning, so it can be basically synced with the motion. If it is in its own 'about equal' loop, it'll eventually desync. Or you can probably make organized sound within acs, like each 'bassdrum' individual small sound played in patterns and easier to sync that way than using a big clumsy mp3 file. But at the expense of a shittier song probably. Anyway I don't want to do this. Organizing acs sound would probably be one of my next experiments but my stupid external sound card stopped working.