Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EternalWolf

Fatalities are a great idea, if reserved for Beserk.

I still dont know what the point of Beserk packs are in Classic DOOM. You pick them up, screen changes color, you automatically switch to fists and you have to get up close and risk damage for it to serve any purpose.

However this would actually make Beserk packs "meaningful" and would also ensure that fatalities never get old and are optional as well. If we can essentially one hit KO any enemy then fatalities, whether they are intended to be or not, become mandatory as it would likely be the most efficient way of killing enemies. If they are mandatory they become boring and old extremely quickly, but people wont stop because its still the best way to kill and we will probably be invincible while doing so.

Beserk packs and IMO the perfect solution to everyones worry about fatalities. The gore is still there for the people that want it, it isnt excessive, they wont become boring, they make beserk packs worth the risk of picking up and the Brutal DOOM comparisons are also "eliminated" as not only is there logic behind the fatalities but they also evolutionize the original idea of a beserk pack.

Maybe this is what id is doing anyways and the the demo that was shown was merely as a cropped techincal/feature demo(you know, a real demo instead of the ones that give you a pistol, two enemies to kill and one boring level that they expect will make us want the game). After all they did show a ton of stuff that I really dont want to see in trailers, such as most of the enemy designs, weapon designs etc... I mean its like that other topic on here, if that dude went to quakecon then half the experience would be "ruined". Gameplay features are fine, but dont show us every single animation and the such.

EternalWolf said:

I still dont know what the point of Beserk packs are in Classic DOOM. You pick them up, screen changes color, you automatically switch to fists and you have to get up close and risk damage for it to serve any purpose.

However this would actually make Beserk packs "meaningful" and would also ensure that fatalities never get old and are optional as well. If we can essentially one hit KO any enemy then fatalities, whether they are intended to be or not, become mandatory as it would likely be the most efficient way of killing enemies. If they are mandatory they become boring and old extremely quickly, but people wont stop because its still the best way to kill and we will probably be invincible while doing so.

Beserk packs and IMO the perfect solution to everyones worry about fatalities. The gore is still there for the people that want it, it isnt excessive, they wont become boring, they make beserk packs worth the risk of picking up and the Brutal DOOM comparisons are also "eliminated" as not only is there logic behind the fatalities but they also evolutionize the original idea of a beserk pack.

Maybe this is what id is doing anyways and the the demo that was shown was merely as a cropped techincal/feature demo(you know, a real demo instead of the ones that give you a pistol, two enemies to kill and one boring level that they expect will make us want the game). After all they did show a ton of stuff that I really dont want to see in trailers, such as most of the enemy designs, weapon designs etc... I mean its like that other topic on here, if that dude went to quakecon then half the experience would be "ruined". Gameplay features are fine, but dont show us every single animation and the such.

Berzerker Pack is pretty awesome as far as ammo conservation goes. Especially if there are a lot of pinkies on a map, those things can be huge bullet sponges in large groups.

I actually thought that fatalities in BD could only be done with a berserker pack, but I like the idea nonetheless. Perhaps gross out fatalities can be your reward for level exploration.

EternalWolf said:

But it felt so good to just punch an enemy and have him blow up into a bloody pile of pulp.

Agree very much, overpowered or "wow-awesome" effects need some effort before enabling them. Maybe he could keep berserk shots reserved for times when he's low on ammo if the effect is temporary, but I just can't see fatalities being as fun of an accomplishment if he has them from the start.

In some sense, the "gib" death mode in regular DOOM is already a "fatality".

Berserk packs are fairly useless in Doom itself, but great in Wads with limited ammo, especially ones that have a lot of Pinkies.

Doominator2 said:

But it felt so good to just punch an enemy and have him blow up into a bloody pile of pulp.

I second Doominator2's notion.

Also, the berserk pack is useful for demons with slow pain states. It stuns them. Sometimes even pushing them back.

I've always found the Berserk Pack really cool, but a bit hokey. Maybe they've made a new melee system.