Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Purp

Iwad? Pwad?

I know what IWADs and PWADs are, but what the hell do they mean? I don't even know what WAD stands for. Thanks.

IWAD-stands for id WAD. id made the original Doom and Doom2.WADs, so go figure.
PWAD-stands for Patch WAD, e.g., it Patches a certain level or levels in Doom or Doom2.
AFAIK, WAD stands for Where's All the Data?

I don't think wad is supposed to be an acronym for anything. But I know Iwad means Internal wad and Pwad means Patch wad.

The Internal wad is the wad that the game uses as the base. Hence it is known as Internal wad. The wad inside the game.

Pwad means patch wad because pwads are merely patches to the iwad that adds or replaces certain entries in the iwad.

id Software did clearly not envisage the creation of 3rd party iwads and the Final Doom release with two iwads does not seem as an originally planned action.

IWAD = Internal Where's All the Data
PWAD = Patch Where's All the Data

Yes, WAD is an acronym.

Right, thanks everyone. I had a feeling I stood for internal but I didn't have a clue about the P - didn't think of patch. And I like what you said WAD stands for but I think I'll take that as a joke, heh. Thanks :)

MaTT [TiK] said:
And I like what you said WAD stands for but I think I'll take that as a joke, heh. Thanks :)

No, it's a fact. id has confirmed it.

Heh. I always thought it was 'wad' as in 'a WAD of cash'... u know, like bundled together?

lol, cool. Yeah, Spike, that's what I thought at first. And then when I was using WinTex, I found out that the different sections were called lumps (I think), so I thought that maybe it meant a wad of lumps, heh. I mainly created this thread to find out what the I and P stood for in IWAD and PWAD but I still wasn't sure about WAD so I asked that as well, and now I know.

Spike said:

Heh. I always thought it was 'wad' as in 'a WAD of cash'... u know, like bundled together?

I think that both meanings applies. Tom Hall coined the term.

Spike said:

Same here, since all of the data was wadded together in one file... go figure...