Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCastle

Early dev footage of my map so far.

Guest Unregistered account

Now, I'm not a Brutal Doom hater, but I will say that I prefer early-dev custom map footage/previews that aren't played with Brutal Doom. (If they don't need it)

Ok, sorry. On with my thoughts.

Wow! This looks really good! I like the detailing and especially like the mix of bricks and techy stuff. It really brings the mood out.

I hope you release this soon!

Joe667 said:

Now, I'm not a Brutal Doom hater, but I will say that I prefer early-dev custom map footage/previews that aren't played with Brutal Doom. (If they don't need it)

Ok, sorry. On with my thoughts.

Wow! This looks really good! I like the detailing and especially like the mix of bricks and techy stuff. It really brings the mood out.

I hope you release this soon!

This level is being design specifically for Brutal Doom 19 and using all features of GZDoom including ACS scripting, ramps, floors over floors, point lighting.

Game play will expect the player to duck and jump. I am also doing something very rare, I am making the plasma rifle one of the main weapons.

The level will also have a linear opening sequence then a more open ended style just like my levels in No Rest For The Living.

Not a fan of brutal doom but I approve this level design! I really like the darkness and the style alot. I which you would do things like that for vanilla doom gameplay.

I'm really liking the atmosphere of and the industrial music remix. I'm not exactly a fan of brutal doom, but considering that you work as a professional designer I trust that you'll be successful in designing the map around its mechanics which will eliminate quite a bit of issues. Looking forward to more! :)

Marnetmar said:

I'm really liking the atmosphere of and the industrial music remix. I'm not exactly a fan of brutal doom, but considering that you work as a professional designer I trust that you'll be successful in designing the map around its mechanics which will eliminate quite a bit of issues. Looking forward to more! :)

I am looking for critiques on this too. I see Brutal Doom having a lot of issues. Can you explain what these issues are so I know to be extra careful with them?

TheCastle said:

I am also doing something very rare, I am making the plasma rifle one of the main weapons.

That's not that rare. :)

Looks absolutely awesome.

Brilliant start on the map with the player getting right into the action, and I was also really impressed by the second gameplay bit.

TheCastle said:

I am looking for critiques on this too. I see Brutal Doom having a lot of issues. Can you explain what these issues are so I know to be extra careful with them?

One of the issues I've found is that some enemies can get places they aren't meant to be, because they can traverse steeper steps than normal. I'm not sure what the mechanics of that are though, it seems to be different for going up and down steps. Also switches can get completely obscured by blood.

Looking good by the way.

looks great :D cool to see something specifically designed with BD in mind

Wow, much like other Doomers, I'm not huge on BD, but I'm loving the way you have cover in the maps so that reloading isn't an issue. As Tango said, the friendly marines are a nice touch.

I'll be happy to go out of my "software mode comfort zone" for this one - Eagerly awaiting the release!

I have been getting a lot of feedback to not design this with brutal doom in mind. I am now leaning pretty heavily in making it GZDoom specific but letting go of Brutal Doom.