Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Just starting a thread for my Doom HD project.

I'll probably limit posts here to larger more interesting updates, but you can keep an eye on the flickr page and the blog for more regular updates.

Its still very early days and I haven't had a great deal of time to work on the project as real life and work has been flatout.

The blog has only been up a couple of days, ive been trying to get it looking nice. Its based on a free tumblr theme called Indy. The CSS file was not formatted and took a while to get tidied up. Its been a long time since i did any html editing, so please let me know if you come across any bugs or anomalies.

qdhd.tumblr.com
flickr.com/photos/doomhd

Cheers.

Updating this first post with current shots:

Bigdoor2 All New by Doom HD, on Flickr

Exitdoor by Doom HD, on Flickr

Door3 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Floor5_1 Work In Progress by Doom HD, on Flickr

Floor4_8 Test by Doom HD, on Flickr

Big Health by Doom HD, on Flickr

Chaingun MK2 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Chaingun MK2 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Plasma Rifle 95% by Doom HD, on Flickr

STARTAN Dirty by Doom HD, on Flickr

STARGREEN by Doom HD, on Flickr

STARBROWN by Doom HD, on Flickr

Support2 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Stone2 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Stone3 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Ceil3_5 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Pinky Demon - Finished by Doom HD, on Flickr

Barrel V4 by Doom HD, on Flickr

Doom Guy Head WIP by Doom HD, on Flickr

pinky_mudbox_render02 by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Heavy Weapons Dude WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Lost Soul WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Imp WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Doom Baron Of Hell by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Mancubus WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Refraining from opening the links in case they are image heavy I will look forward to your progress on here to get a good idea on how you're doing it.

Judging by the pics, it's actually Doom 64 HD with missing monsters recreated. Which is pretty cool nevertheless.

Da Werecat said:

Judging by the pics, it's actually Doom 64 HD with missing monsters recreated. Which is pretty cool nevertheless.

Ooh, lemme know when you finish the Archvile.

Well besides being in HD, the chaingunner doesnt look to be Doom64-ized as much as it just looks like a model of regular Doom 2 chaingun guy. (Theres a WIP picture that gives it away)

For some reason I always pictured a Doom64 Chaingun Guy to be wearing a gasmask or a helmet or something. Something original like the chains on the cacodemon's new hands.

Anyway, the stuff looks very cool :)

40oz said:

For some reason I always pictured a Doom64 Chaingun Guy to be wearing a gasmask or a helmet or something.

This.

I even wanted to model it, but I lack experience, so I never tried.

The project wont be a HD Doom 64, its a combination of all the best designs from Doom 1, 2 and 64.

Some will get a design overhaul, some will remain as they were.

Pinky is probably the best new design in Doom 64, the others were a bit meh. Classic pinky will return as well.

I will be adding some new details to the chaingunner, but nothing too major.

As far as engines go, not sure yet. I have a lot of stuff going on with other projects, using and learning different engines. It would be simple to get things going with a Doom engine, but ive got some other things i want to explore first.

Heavy Weapons Dude WIP.

How does he look with some hair?

He will also have a cigar in his mouth and of course a big arse chaingun with a bullet belt.

The left hand will most likely be open to hold the bullet belt, but i wont make those changes till the end.

Still lots to do, just getting some feedback on the hair.
I like it, but what do you guys think?

I like it but he looks a bit stubby to me. Like his torso and legs are a bit too short.

He is pretty chunky, but the size of the original reference model was exactly that of the original sprite, and has actually been scaled down slightly so he is not as chunky.

From side-on he doesn't look quite so bad:

The ammo back pack will be a metal ammo box. So it looks as if he's just strapped a box of ammo on his back and picked up a chaingun.

Tough bastard.

purist said:

I like it but he looks a bit stubby to me. Like his torso and legs are a bit too short.

It might have to do with the preferred resolution when playing Doom. The standard Doom resolution is 320x200, but I generally play on 320x240, which tends to make the guns look wider, and the monsters a little chubbier and shorter, so naturally the chaingun guy in this model looks just right to me.

I'm concerned that any notable facial features might look repetitive when you have loads of them on screen.

Unless one does multiple skins, but as far as I am aware, only Doomsday support's skin variants (i.e as shown on the Zombies in the JDRP with their randomized heads).

Started painting.

There's no shading here, just flat colours. Ambient Occlusion and Cavity Ambient Occlusion filters help with that.

As luck would have it, about 5 mins after this pic was taken, i tried to render a new turntable video and MudBox crashed at the 48% mark.

I lost all this first layer of paint. Doh!

At least i still have this pic as a colour reference.

Really diggin those models. I wish I had more time to invest adding model support in Doom64EX.

The models look great, but my question is what is your ultimate goal with this project? Do you plan to create a fully 3d doom experience? If so, with what Iwad? What source port would this run on

It's a great start, but really you've only barely scratched the surface. Let me know when you designed the Spidermastermind. And put it through beta testing on a supporting Source port. Haha.

Love the ambition though :)

I've the feel that those are .DDS models or Rage models (id Tech 5).

So basically... What will you do with them? Capture a screenshot side by side and then cut all the unnecessary pixels so it will be an HD sprite? If yes, THAT'S AMAZING! I'd LOVE to see (real) HD sprites! Everyone else out there just filters the original sprites and "sell" them as "HD", which quite honestly, this changes nothing.

This is finally something really awesome and I look forward to the final result!

The plan is to rig the models and pose them with key frames the same as the original sprites animations, then just render each frame from the different perspectives.

Very easy to do and you can also render with a transparent background, so the sprite is essentially already separate from the background, no further editing required.

I also have plans to make lower poly models and bake all the high-poly details onto them. With the right engine, a fully 3d Doom is possible, like Serious Sam 3, but hopefully with higher detail models.

Ive got a lot of stuff planned, but ill talk about that another time, as its still real early days yet.

The Doom 64 pentagram was actually my first attempt at a 3d model using Max. Im a lightwave user and its taken some time to make the switch over to max. I should have many years ago, but could never afford it, so i just modeled using a very old version of lightwave.

After the Heavy Weapons Guy is done, i wanna work on some smaller models to pump them out quicker, so ill probably do the Lost Soul and finish off that pentagram model in MudBox.

Im itching to work on more weapons too, the shotguns in particular.

You have badass Quake models, by the way.

I noticed that your ogre doesn't have tusks. Maybe it's for the better. I never really noticed them in the game, and when I did, I thought they were inappropriate.

Quaker540 said:

.DDS models

I thought dds is for textures.

What about making his hair closer to skin-shaved or bald like the original sprite?

I like the hair. It's a nice nod to the Doomguy's hairstyle on the ENDPIC graphic. Maybe it's a standard space marine cut?

The hair was actually bugging me a bit, as it just wasn't the Chaingunner with it, so he's bald again now. I think it looks better.

The pistol / rifle zombie will probably get the buzz cut, it depends how it looks.

The player model will be based on a combination of the Doom 2 cover art and the PSX Doom cover art, so he will definitely get the buzz cut hair.

Because Doom guy's been in he'll for close to 20 years, he's gonna be a bit rough looking.

Again, it all depends on what works. If it looks cool but just isn't Doom, I'll go with what looks right.

Man, I'm loving this. He looks really directly translated from the source material. Love the grimace on the face.

I finally have some more free time to devote to this.

Slightly older version with just bloodshot eyes:

Heavy Weapons Dude Texturing by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Newer version with some green glow around the pupils:

Heavy Weapons Dude Glowing Eyes by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

I'm kinda leaning towards the green glow, as it helps highlight where the eyes are looking. You could watch him look around.

The cigar will drop out of his mouth during death animations.

Thanks man, he's getting there.

Heavy Weapons Dude WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Just out of curiosity.

Would anyone buy a physical model like this?

The reason i ask, is I would like to buy a Pro license for Unity (along with some other software), and to help pay for it i've considered selling some of my models (when i make more) on Shapeways.

Some of the stuff i've seen for sale on there makes me think perhaps my own stuff is good enough, and there really isn't enough Doom models available.

Obviously i'd have to look into the legality of such a thing, but to satisfy my curiosity, who here would buy one?